Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Firewall rivets

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Firewall rivets

How in the world do you drill these rivets out? Especially the middle and bottom ones.

Last edited by Chonciceptor; 08-16-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You have to remove the fresh air vent that is obviously blocking it. Then re-install/bond it back in.

Look at post #139 in the thread below...they can come out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rag-car-7.html

DUB
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

That’s what I figured, I was hoping for a magical answer lol, thanks Dub
Old 08-17-2018, 08:35 AM
DUB
Race Director

I know I could get the rivet out without removing the fresh air vent housing...but putting one back in would be another problem all by itself IF doing any damage or modification to the vent door housing itself.

An alternative is to carefully drill a hole in the the vent air housing that would allow you to drill out the rivet. Then when you go to install the rivet ...you could make sure the hole is large enough so you pop rivet gun head will allow the rivet to be installed.

Then you either fill that hole back in or possibly use a black plastic plug like what is used in the floor board area for water draining to seal that hole in the air vent off. Depending if the action of the vent door itself will be effected by the black plastic push in plug.

Or cut out a section of the housing and when you are done you can install it back in where it went and do all of the repairs from the backside so the vent door is not effected.

I can say that the vent housing can come out but it is a pain if you are trying to save it.

DUB
Old 08-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Funny enough, I was actually going to plug the fresh air vent anyway, but removing it is fine, I would, like to save it, in case reinstalling later, if I ever decided to restore to factory, which probably isn’t going to happen, but I would at least like that option. Thanks again Dub.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:37 AM
DUB
Race Director

I am guessing that your car is a NON A/C car...I guess if that is what you want to do ....it is up to you. I hope you can find a solution to your issue.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Firewall rivets

Quick Reply: Firewall rivets