C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 on Ebay

Old 08-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Default 67 on Ebay

Looking on ebay at Corvette's like everyone else, I had to look at this 67 just for curiosity sake. It has some documentation but nothing about a tank sticker. It has the owner POP which looks real but I'm not an expert on them. I find the trim tag interesting though. What do you guys think? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Chevro...RYeRGx&vxp=mtr

Popular Reply

08-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,505 Likes on 2,778 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by 68hemi
First of all, I DOUBT you are right based on the documentation and NCRS prior judging.

Second, I doubt the seller appreciates someone making a disparaging comment on the WWW that my cast doubt on the car where YOU offer no back proof to your statement. There always seems to be someone ready to open their mouth about thing they likely know nothing of. If you have any kind of PROOF regarding your statement then post it. These kinds of comments remind me of guys at a car show making comments on things they know nothing of to impress their girlfriend.
This post is out of line and who gives a **** if the seller appreciates it or not? This kind of comment reminds me of the “BaT police” on bring a trailer who believe it is their job to call out anyone who makes a comment that they disagree with. This is a forum. It is our job to provide input that people can then use or discard as they do their own due diligence. While I appreciate what I just learned about trim tags in the follow up post, he had no obligation to respond to your condescending nonsense. If you don’t like it, either ignore it or post proof that he is wrong. Throwing stones is just foolish.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:28 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Both the trim and VIN tags have been scuffed with an abrasive pad or the like. The "BY" on the bottom line does not have the foot of the Y lower than the B, which I understand is a trait of genuine tags. Not an expert, but experts will be sure to chime in. For the asking price, not an issue. It's so sky high it would never be on my list.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:35 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

lol... yah, that's a repop trim tag
Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by midyear
lol... yah, that's a repop trim tag
First of all, I DOUBT you are right based on the documentation and NCRS prior judging.

Second, I doubt the seller appreciates someone making a disparaging comment on the WWW that my cast doubt on the car where YOU offer no back proof to your statement. There always seems to be someone ready to open their mouth about thing they likely know nothing of. If you have any kind of PROOF regarding your statement then post it. These kinds of comments remind me of guys at a car show making comments on things they know nothing of to impress their girlfriend.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 770 Likes on 431 Posts

Are there broach marks on the stamp pad? If so, I'm not seeing them. Very pretty car though, at a very pretty penny price. Would get it professionally inspected.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I would have to agree with midyear based on the trim tag picture. It may be the angle (I doubt it), but the right edges of the M in Motors and H in Michigan don't line up. Just my two cents worth.

Look at a real '67

Last edited by Mike67nv; 08-16-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not really, the car world is full of liars and scammers and the corvette world is the worst I've ever seen. Everything can look absolutely correct and it's still just a great job on a lie. Been there, done it, and I know from personal experience. If it doesn't look right, it most likely isn't. Only a fool would believe everything he reads and even see's in today's world. If this stops someone from buying a lie then the responses are justified. If the car is correct let the owner prove it. Many incorrect cars went the route of major restorations and restro-rod conversions. Question, question, question!!!!!!!

BH
The following users liked this post:
Dirt Detective (08-20-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:58 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

First of all, the car was restored and presumably judged in 2006-2007, I can tell you that at that time, trim tags did not get the scrutiny from the NCRS that they do now (I was judging at that time). There are multiple things visible on the picture of that trim tag that show it to be a repop, I have no doubts the trim tag pictured in this auction is not an original. but you want proof..OK

1) no dropped Y in BY,
2) H and M not properly lined up
3) R in trim is wrong (leg has a distinctive mark in it)
4) font on the tag is more rounded than an original tag
5) rivets are not set deep enough
6) top and bottom edges are wrong

is that enough??

Last edited by midyear; 08-17-2018 at 03:04 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by midyear:
chgc267 (08-19-2018), Dirt Detective (08-20-2018), emdoller (08-17-2018), tuxnharley (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 03:10 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

If it was judged with a real trim tag doesn't mean it has a real trim tag now, just sayin.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by midyear
First of all, the car was restored and presumably judged in 2006-2007, I can tell you that at that time, trim tags did not get the scrutiny from the NCRS that they do now (I was judging at that time). There are multiple things visible on the picture of that trim tag that show it to be a repop, I have no doubts the trim tag pictured in this auction is not an original. but you want proof..OK

1) no dropped Y in BY,
2) H and M not properly lined up
3) R in trim is wrong (leg has a distinctive mark in it)
4) font on the tag is more rounded than an original tag
5) rivets are not set deep enough
6) top and bottom edges are wrong

is that enough??
The point to my post was that you made a simple statement with no back up. You could have posted the above in your first post and saved all of this.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:13 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

All that aside, I agree with his assessment, it’s not an original tag.

Ed
Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Any assessment of the POP? Looks kind of fresh. I have the originals for 3 of my cars and none look that good... even on the CA car.

Ed
Old 08-17-2018, 04:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,922 Likes on 4,771 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emdoller
Any assessment of the POP? Looks kind of fresh. I have the originals for 3 of my cars and none look that good... even on the CA car.

Ed
when one goes as fair as getting a repro trim tag it tells you that any other document paper or metal is fake as well. as the POP has colors on them. you change the trim tag for colors and now your POP has to match
Old 08-17-2018, 04:28 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
when one goes as fair as getting a repro trim tag it tells you that any other document paper or metal is fake as well. as the POP has colors on them. you change the trim tag for colors and now your POP has to match
Makes sense.

Ed
Old 08-17-2018, 04:41 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Interesting thread, great input.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,505 Likes on 2,778 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

This post is out of line and who gives a **** if the seller appreciates it or not? This kind of comment reminds me of the “BaT police” on bring a trailer who believe it is their job to call out anyone who makes a comment that they disagree with. This is a forum. It is our job to provide input that people can then use or discard as they do their own due diligence. While I appreciate what I just learned about trim tags in the follow up post, he had no obligation to respond to your condescending nonsense. If you don’t like it, either ignore it or post proof that he is wrong. Throwing stones is just foolish.
The following 6 users liked this post by Factoid:
AmericanPie (08-18-2018), emdoller (08-17-2018), GTOguy (08-18-2018), midyear (08-17-2018), tuxnharley (08-18-2018), vetintheblood (08-20-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Engine stamp looks good to me. I agree with midyears evaluation on the trim tag. As far as being judged, when was it judged and by whom? Anything before 2010 is meaningless as far as trim tags go.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 on Ebay

Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by Factoid

I agree, you need to read my last post on this. Nothing wrong with posting your opinion but post proof when you throw rocks. Over and out.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:55 PM
RedBull67
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pleased to join the forum.

First and foremost, I value being amongst other enthusiasts who share a love for the rare vintage cars of days gone past that we have the privilege of experiencing, that bring us the sheer sensory enjoyment lost on many cars of today. What I value and appreciate are those that share the journey with mutual respect, and least of all, valuing the common and shared smile and a wave to those with other vintage cars, knowing what we share in common and how the cars make us feel whether driving them, looking at them, or even starting them up and listening to their raw nature.

What I don't value or appreciate are those that are so bent on negative discourse, detraction, and trying to disparage the essence and quality of a fellow owners car, even you self proclaimed knowledgeable experts who believe you know more than professionals and renowned appraisers. This usually stems from knowing your own car pales in comparison or integrity, so you choose to detract, rather than be in a positive spirit. I choose the latter, and I appreciate those select few members here that condemn negative speculation and BS from other members. Because, the very next vintage tear down could be yours.

Thanks to those that shall remain nameless, that advised me of other fellow 'enthusiasts' chopping up one of my prideful cars. Swaying opinions, or trying to negatively influence opinions to align with yours, should always be taken with a grain of salt. Thanks to those that choose not to undermine others. That genre has no place among those that supposedly share a love for cars.

Integrity based frame off restorations, for the so called experts, involve retaining and refurbishing every nut and bolt versus implementing NOS parts. When put back together, rivets on trim tags may not be tightened as deeply, or early build tags may have slight affects that later builds didn't etc. Broach marks are highly evident especially at a certain lighting angle, which is the case here as well. Original authentic engine stamps such as this car, have consistent imprint/emboss fade off from the metal counter puncher/embosser, along with the existent broach marks, rendering more authenticity than clearly embossed numbers that lesser cars have etc.

If one ever wants to question another car, assess your own first, and learn the real facts in terms of what is authentic for the specific build date, model, degree and calibre of restoration etc, and the differentiation within the build dates.

Keep well, and pleased to share our common interests here on the forum.

Best,
Old 08-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,922 Likes on 4,771 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

that was a nice post about nothing the posters who pointed out that the trim tag is fake are experts in there own right. if you don't agree with there facts buy and read the NCRS trim tag book and judge for your self. that is the bases of trim tag annalists use.

please share proof that that car started its life as what it is now. photos of before restoration can help. did Al Greening go over the trim tag and stamp pad?
The following 2 users liked this post by Nowhere Man:
Factoid (08-18-2018), SBR (08-17-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 on Ebay