C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

OBD2 Reader

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:07 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Default OBD2 Reader

Greetings, my step fathers car threw a minor code a few weeks ago when he was in town. I called a buddy up and drove across town to pick up his OBD2 reader to scan it, then mosied home to do it. I decided this was way too much work, and want to just pick up one. I have seen a lot of "value" priced readers on amazon, that interface with apps on a cellphone. I like the app idea, because of updates and increased functionality. That said, what do you think of these amazon readers? Ever use one? Is there a non value one that works well with various apps. I don't mind spending money on quality tools, I just don't like wasting it either.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:43 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

How cheap do you want to go? Here's one on eBay for literally $3.59:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-OBD2...MAAOSwDw9bNEhr

Or even cheaper, buy an ELM327 chip and get some wires and solder and do it yourself! Heck, on my '94 you could do it for free with a paperclip!

But to answer your main question, for reading generic codes, they're all about the same. If you want to do anything serious I'd get HPTuners for your car. A quality generalized scan tool would be expensive and tell you very little. So I'd say spend $20 or $200 but not in between.

Last edited by davepl; 08-18-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 AM
sammy burks
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Harbor freight has them from 30.00 to 80.00 I got the cheap one works great
Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 PM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Along with Torque Pro for Android.
The following 2 users liked this post by musclesbmf:
Oneslackr (08-18-2018), timmyZ06 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 12:58 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid79
Greetings, my step fathers car threw a minor code a few weeks ago when he was in town. I called a buddy up and drove across town to pick up his OBD2 reader to scan it, then mosied home to do it. I decided this was way too much work, and want to just pick up one. I have seen a lot of "value" priced readers on amazon, that interface with apps on a cellphone. I like the app idea, because of updates and increased functionality. That said, what do you think of these amazon readers? Ever use one? Is there a non value one that works well with various apps. I don't mind spending money on quality tools, I just don't like wasting it either.
I've found a lot of automotive parts stores (Oreily/Autozone/etc) will read the codes for free, just like batteries & few more. Found it funny at Autozone the guy read code, told me what it pertained to, but made me push the button on his scanner to clear it! I guess could be liability gotcha. Have seen posts here where you can also use OnStar to tell you some codes but don't think they help much. If in warranty & open, your dealer should read it for you at no charge I would hope. I've got an el-cheapo that helps but still not adequate for in depth diagnosis as someone above said.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Get a cheap one $15-$20. You don’t need a fancy one unless you’re working on old/German cars on detailed stuff like emissions cycles (o2sensor), maf problems, old sparks, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To OBD2 Reader

Quick Reply: OBD2 Reader