Sponsored by:

Unhappy with Corsa Xtreme

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 PM
_thecarjerk_
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Unhappy with Corsa Xtreme

Guys I'm totally bummed. I installed my corsa xtreme cat back with x pipe. Its quiet sounding. Put on about 200 miles and with each ride decided it wasnt much louder then stock.
I was in the driveway with my kids listening to it. They were trying to cheer me up, partially because i just got smoked by a Boss302 and unhappy about spending the money on the exhaust. Then my wife fired up her Escalade and its louder at idle then my FRC. Everyone just looked at me and tried not to laugh. Today wasn't fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by _thecarjerk_:
CorvetteBrent (08-20-2018), ElisTwoCents (08-28-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Tbair64
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 83 Posts

Well that's not a fun day. Bummed to hear the corsa extreme is so quit. That's the exhaust I was just getting ready to purchase. Might just have to reconsider.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:55 PM
_thecarjerk_
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tbair64
Well that's not a fun day. Bummed to hear the corsa extreme is so quit. That's the exhaust I was just getting ready to purchase. Might just have to reconsider.
I would say without headers and no cats, you'll be disappointed. I was looking for something harder hitting. I wouldn't recommend it if your looking for an Xtreme exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 PM
_thecarjerk_
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tbair64
like I said my wife's stock Escalade sounds more throaty
Old 08-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Interesting it is that quiet. With a high compression motor, LT's and cats, it is very loud outside the car. Quiet inside. Outside, waaaaaaaay louder than an Escalade. It even sets off my house alarm, when it is set and I start it in the garage.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:10 PM
_thecarjerk_
Instructor

LS1 with cats and stock manifold it sounds stock ish.
WOT it's not stock sounding, but every other driving scenario or at idle it's disappointing.

Is yours a Z?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:12 PM
_thecarjerk_
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andrew
Interesting it is that quiet. With a high compression motor, LT's and cats, it is very loud outside the car. Quiet inside. Outside, waaaaaaaay louder than an Escalade. It even sets off my house alarm, when it is set and I start it in the garage.
that's what I'm looking for!
maybe the LS1 stock just doesn't have enough for what I'm trying to get.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by _thecarjerk_
LS1 with cats and stock manifold it sounds stock ish.
WOT it's not stock sounding, but every other driving scenario or at idle it's disappointing.

Is yours a Z?
Yes, but lots and lots of mods. Had no idea they were that quiet on stock manifold and cats.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:05 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

they are sorta tame on a stock car at idle and cruising rpm but are still noticeably louder than stock, at higher rpms they really open up... add headers and you will probably be happier with them... mine are loud but the car is also heavily modded
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Gonna have to do more than just an axle back if you are wanting loud. If you aren't planning on doing headers then just get some cutouts and be done with it.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:19 PM
CheapSpeed
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it would be plenty loud for me, although I have do longtubes and no cats. Sounds like what you're looking for might be cut outs or an SLP Loudmouth, although the drone on that is pretty bad. What are you going to do with the Corsa Xtreme? If you end up selling it, I might be interested(I currently have a Corsa Sport).
Old 08-19-2018, 11:27 PM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

Guys I'm totally bummed. I installed my corsa xtreme cat back with x pipe. Its quiet sounding. Put on about 200 miles and with each ride decided it wasnt much louder then stock.
I was in the driveway with my kids listening to it. They were trying to cheer me up, partially because i just got smoked by a Boss302 and unhappy about spending the money on the exhaust. Then my wife fired up her Escalade and its louder at idle then my FRC. Everyone just looked at me and tried not to laugh. Today wasn't fun.
Try to run without mufflers and see if you like it, just hope your motor dont have that tractor sound.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 AM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I just had Corsa extreme with 4" tips installed two weeks ago on my stock 99 automatic, their a little louder than stock at idle, stomp on it and they get a great scream coming out. My two cents
Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm sorry to hear that the Corsa exhaust isn't up to what you would like it to sound. Honestly, you're the first person I've ever heard that didn't like a Corsa exhaust. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel. A stock LS1 with no LT headers, and the volume/resonance sound your looking for is not going to be improved by leaps and bounds. Headers, and a nice lopey cam, is a big step in the right direction for starters. Don't be discouraged though, with a few engine mods, you'll have that Corsa singing loudly. I know you paid good money for the Xtreme, Corsa isn't cheap but, stick with it for the time being. After some engine mods, you'll be thankful you kept it. It's beautiful to listen to on the outside but, inside there's no drone, and you can carry on a conversation and not feel like your being vibrated to death with another exhaust. I absolutely swear by Corsa. If however you have no plans to do engine mods, I would suggest the SLP Loudmouth exhaust as an alternative. It will be louder than the Corsa but, again since your engine is relatively stock for the time being, it's not going to get the volume or aggressiveness your seeking.....Just my .02
Old 08-20-2018, 03:30 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't understand why Corsa calls it "extreme" if it is relatively quiet. I used to have a 98 C5 convertible with Billy Boat PRT exhaust, and it was significantly louder and more aggressive, especially when the throttle was open 50% or more, than the stock exhaust. However, the Billy Boat bullet-type exhaust is even louder.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:54 AM
Vette97sc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I had Corsa extreme and it was so loud that in morning shift it wake up my kids. I think it was too loud. Engine was 402, Vortech YSI, LT headers without cats.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 AM
jumpmanmb87
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Mod the car if you want it loud, you cant expect different pipes to make the car sounds like it actually has HP. Get headers and a cam, and then you will probably complain that its too loud like I see on here all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Unhappy with Corsa Xtreme

Old 08-20-2018, 07:12 AM
_thecarjerk_
Instructor

Thanks for all the great replies.
looks like I need to do headers and cam lol!

guess I was just expecting that sound off the bat. Need to do a little more work, thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:54 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

Headers and a cam. That will wake up any axle back (as well as anyone in a 1/4 mile radius).
Old 08-20-2018, 09:07 AM
_thecarjerk_
Instructor

Originally Posted by FR-CYA
Headers and a cam. That will wake up any axle back (as well as anyone in a 1/4 mile radius).
thanks buddy, do you recommend any specific cam and header combo?

Quick Reply: Unhappy with Corsa Xtreme