C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hydraulic valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Jriver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hydraulic valve adjustment

I’m about to adjust the valves in my 65 327 300 hp and seeking advice.
First, the prior owner said it had a mild Crane Blueprint cam installed but has no other info
Second, I prefer to make the adjustments with the engine running.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:38 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jriver
I’m about to adjust the valves in my 65 327 300 hp and seeking advice.
First, the prior owner said it had a mild Crane Blueprint cam installed but has no other info
Second, I prefer to make the adjustments with the engine running.
First off, do they need adjusting ? Unless there is a clatter or noise from the valve train, chances are everything is in order and doesn't need adjusting. The whole premise of hydraulics is that they don't need periodic adjusting like solid lifters.
The following users liked this post:
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM
rsavage1
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

I drape the inner fenders with old towels and also tuck them along the top of the exhaust manifolds up against the heads. Start it up, back off each nut one at a time until you can hear it click, tighten until the click goes away and then turn another 1/4 - 1/2 turn. I know that some would turn them further, but I am more comfortable with a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I work quickly down one side (the valve cover is still on the opposite side. Re do it. and shut it off. Remove towels as the manifold is getting pretty warm. Replace valve cover gasket and reinstall. By then the other side is cool enough to do it.
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If you insist on playing with the valves, for whatever reason, find one of many YouTube videos that shows the exact correct process. Dennis
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,547 Likes on 2,794 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I can understand wanting to adjust the valves, but why oh why would you ever adjust hydraulic lifters with the engine running unless you enjoy an oil bath and a fire hazard. One of the many benefits of hydraulic lifters is hot or cold lash makes no difference.

Set the engine to TDC for cylinder #1 intake stroke, loosen both #1 rockers, and tighten the rocker while spinning the push rod with your thumb and forefinger until you feel zero lash (you want to just feel the push rod slack disappear), then add another 1/4 turn and tighten the lock (check the specs for your lifters as some want another 1/2 turn). Do both #1 rockers, turn the engine 90 degrees and do #8 the same way, continue to turn the engine 90 degrees following the firing order until all 16 are complete.
59BlueSilver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've ALWAYS adjusted hydraulic lifters with the engine running....back off till they clatter and tighten down until they just stop...then go 1/4 tighter in increments pausing for 5-8 seconds at each quarter turn to let the lifter stabilize....I usually end at 1 turn from zero lash -- many go less... Hydraulics are pretty forgiving...
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts
Default Eo. Ic

Best method because it guarantees you are on the base circle of cam no matter what the grind.
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If they're not making any noise, leave the hood shut and don't screw with it.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I have an old valve cover I cut 8 holes in (using a step drill), large enuf for a socket to fit the rocker arm adj nut to fit.
With gasket and valve cover on, no muss, no fuss, no oily mess, and since i zero lash---turn down to just not clattering plus 1/8 turn, i get no lifter pump up at higher (6000 plus) RPM..
Doug
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've ALWAYS adjusted hydraulic lifters with the engine running....back off till they clatter and tighten down until they just stop...then go 1/4 tighter in increments pausing for 5-8 seconds at each quarter turn to let the lifter stabilize....I usually end at 1 turn from zero lash -- many go less... Hydraulics are pretty forgiving...
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Don't forget that the made metal clips that went on the rocker that covered the hole so you wouldn't get a eye full. By the way I adjust to the 1/4 turn also

Dom
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

If you love your car, you work on the things that affect perfection or just don't seem right.
I also use a cut-out valve cover with the engine running. Frankie is giving you the best info. GM says 1 turn from 0 lash (rockers clattering). I generally don't go past 1/2 turn. When racing, I left them at 1/4 turn as the old school dictated more clearance = higher RPM, but don't know if it works. Never dominated a NHRA class.
Get an old valve cover and drill or modify it to control the oil. Then have at it one side at a time. Keep in mind the Chevy SB is the worst when it comes to cam wear and you may need the modified valve cover again as the cam goes south.
You bought the toy to play with, The more you learn about her the more you will enjoy her, the car that is.
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I will assume you either have a miss or a loud lifter and are trying to fix it.
I have used a piece of cardboard several times over the years to adjust hydraulic lifters if needed.
If memory serves me I cut it 6" high and about 24" long which gave me enough to fold it to fit just inside the valve cover opening and the oil would splash on the cardboard and run back into the head.
It is a one time use thing, use it an toss it.
It works to help minimize the oil splash mess. Now I have extra old valve covers to use which do a better job.
If you want to run the lifters at the top of the travel they make performance lifters which have a much sturdier retention spring instead of the spring clip used on OEM lifters.
If the lifter piston is tapping on the retainer spring it can pop the spring out. I have found these springs in the oil pan before.
Jriver (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I'm with Factoid on this one. Can't imagine why anyone would want adjust them running.
Greg (08-23-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

With cut off valve covers (Westlotron-style) or oil diffusers (see link below); running adjustment is a non-issue and you get to adjust on an engine with hot oil pumping up the lifters and its easier to compensate for differences in valving or spring strength or other subtle variations in how they operate... I use the oil diffusers personally...(of course you'll have to reach into your pocket for six dollars):

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25050/overview/

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-22-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
I'm with Factoid on this one. Can't imagine why anyone would want adjust them running.
I agree with you and factoid only for me it's one turn down past zero clearance. I don't drive to create valve float conditions.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

With cut off valve covers (Westlotron-style) or oil diffusers (see link below); running adjustment is a non-issue and you get to adjust on an engine with hot oil pumping up the lifters and its easier to compensate for differences in valving or spring strength or other subtle variations in how they operate... I use the oil diffusers personally...(of course you'll have to reach into your pocket for six dollars):

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-25050/overview/

do you think Chevrolet adjusted them running? Many years ago we shipped engines all over the country and several internationally. They were all adjusted on an engine stand. If we ever had a complaint about valve adjustment I can't remember it. I remember adjusting the valves on the owner of the engine shops 69 big block. I had just finished it up and I fired it up to make sure before I reinstalled the value covers. This was in the car. A guy that was a cam grinder in the sister company was watching as I cranked it up. One rocker skirted oil over the fender and it went straight down his face and shirt, couldn't have been a better shot. He starts fussing that I did that on purpose. I asked how in the hell was I supposed to know one rocker was going to do that as I'm laughing my *** off.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic valve adjustment

Old 08-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don’t “think” anything. I’m telling you the best way to do it and not make a mess On a fresh build you do it statically as described above to get the car initially running.

I adjust solids running sometimes too. You’re making it a bigger issue than it is with the right setup. But do as you like it makes no matter to me.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-22-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:42 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61

do you think Chevrolet adjusted them running? Many years ago we shipped engines all over the country and several internationally. They were all adjusted on an engine stand. If we ever had a complaint about valve adjustment I can't remember it. I remember adjusting the valves on the owner of the engine shops 69 big block. I had just finished it up and I fired it up to make sure before I reinstalled the value covers. This was in the car. A guy that was a cam grinder in the sister company was watching as I cranked it up. One rocker skirted oil over the fender and it went straight down his face and shirt, couldn't have been a better shot. He starts fussing that I did that on purpose. I asked how in the hell was I supposed to know one rocker was going to do that as I'm laughing my *** off.
I think it was Frankie that said they would be accurate adjusted warm. He is right. Does it matter for grandma if they were done cold? NO. There is a specific hydrauilic bleed off. The lifter gets oil pressure from the hole down about half way of the lifter body. That pumps the lifter enough to stay on the cam ramp. Now the lifter has to have a bleed off so it doesn't hold the valve open. As all know , the valve cools when touching the seat in the head. Problem is that the bleed off is not all the same on all lifters. To much will cause a lifter noise and to little will hold the valve open enough to burn it. I do all of mine cold according to the Chevy manual, but when I raced and wanted everything perfect I did them hot with the clips over the hole so I wouldn't have to change shirts. Face it, we are not as **** as we were, or, are we more ****? I have a lifter bleed down contraption that I built and will not patent. I use it on all aircraft lifters that are hydraulic. I have sent new ones back with a red tag stating that they are not airworthy. Car lifters are 100% better than aircraft.... The main reason for aircraft (gas) engine failure is camshaft failure. Continental Aircraft admitted to that. The check ball on a lifter can move off the spring and cause a valve to screw the cam up. But, if you want them perfect (which doesn't matter much) do them hot and running. Now the racing stock in the 60's said to adjust them to 0, not 3/4 or more as the manual says.
Again the argument is that if you adjust them 1 turn, the oil pressure will pump the lifter and give it a bit more lift!
You decide, We drive these beauties with respect 12!@#$%.

Dom
Old 08-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

If you insist on adjusting them, AND if you insist on adjusting them with the engine running... you NEED these clips.

Without them, you'll have oil squirting everywhere.... Don't ask me how I know this.

You'll also have oil draining/oozing down onto the exhaust manifolds... and down the side of the block... You can create a real oily mess real quick.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic valve adjustment