C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 PM
tobb14
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ECS fuel pumps

Has anyone out there used the ECS external fuel pump for the C6 Corvette. I'm in desperate need of an external fuel source and this ECS kit looks really clean and easy to install I want to purchase it just curious has anyone used it before
Old 08-24-2018, 09:28 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by tobb14
Has anyone out there used the ECS external fuel pump for the C6 Corvette. I'm in desperate need of an external fuel source and this ECS kit looks really clean and easy to install I want to purchase it just curious has anyone used it before
We ship out several per week so I'm sure you will have some answers but if you have any questions feel free to ask me. Thanks for your interest in our products.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:17 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

i have it on my car and was very easy to install.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (10-19-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:49 PM
tobb14
Instructor

Default ECS Fuel System

Originally Posted by russ472
i have it on my car and was very easy to install.
Finally took the time to install my ECS at first glance the system seemed to be of quality parts after the install I found a few troubling issues that should have be figured out before it is offered as a kit for the C6 corvette.
here are the following issues I had:

1. Hoses - anything out side of the base model you will have to purchase additional 8AN fuel lines and fittings. The ones that come with the kit are entirely too short. at $800+ dollars the company should have at the cost and extended the fuel lines so that it fits near the rear quarter panels and it would then be user friendly to all the C6 family. When I called and the team that I think they sent me the wrong lines that's when I was told I would lose the brake cooling duct that came with the car. I understand that I would probably never drive the car that hard but again this is an unnecessary loss and gave me the impression that they were being cheap on parts as I'm sure I wasn't the first person to ask that question.

2. Control Module- This portion seemed to be well built but the positive wire that fits under the hood and runs back to the fuel pump was way TOO SHORT! I had to drive to Lowes match the wire thickness and purchase connector fittings to extend the lines. If I had put it in the location that the instructions recommended it would have been all most 2 ft. short, by me moving it closer to the panel (best location). I only had to add about 12 inches. Again easy fix but left me again thinking they were trying to cut corners

3. Fuel Pump Terminals - the positive terminal fitting that goes on the positive side was too big and wouldn't fit in the plastic seating. They did provide one that would fit but you had to cut the one that came with the kit which made no sense because why not just put the right one on there to begin with. Even the rubber fitting that goes over the terminal was really hard to slide it over the area it was designed for as the spacing is extremely tight. At least when it's on you don't have to worry about it coming off.

4. Fuel Fittings - The fittings will work but I found having a 45 and 90 degree at the bottom and 120 and 180 fitting at the top provides a much cleaner setup and works well with the frame. If you order it and don't want to change the ones that come with the kit are completely fine.

5. Fuel Tank Adaptor - Very, Very nice piece but pain in the *** to in install. Once its in it looks perfect, wouldn't change anything but have a tool that helps install it a little more easier than the one that is provided.

Overall the kit was fine after fixing all the corks that I ran into. I am happy as I didn't have to put together a wiring harness myself but that was the only saving grace. You can probably put something together yourself and save about $300 buck but I was looking for a plug and play as I have too many other things to worry about for my build.

Last edited by tobb14; 09-24-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

must have changed the kit since i got mine. I didn't have any of those problems and was able to keep my brake duct.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by russ472
must have changed the kit since i got mine. I didn't have any of those problems and was able to keep my brake duct.
Not a single change and we make these harness', hoses etc are made 100 at a time.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:32 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by tobb14
Finally took the time to install my ECS at first glance the system seemed to be of quality parts after the install I found a few troubling issues that should have be figured out before it is offered as a kit for the C6 corvette.
here are the following issues I had:
Thank you for your purchase!
1. Hoses - anything out side of the base model you will have to purchase additional 8AN fuel lines and fittings. The ones that come with the kit are entirely too short. at $800+ dollars the company should have at the cost and extended the fuel lines so that it fits near the rear quarter panels and it would then be user friendly to all the C6 family. When I called and the team that I think they sent me the wrong lines that's when I was told I would lose the brake cooling duct that came with the car. I understand that I would probably never drive the car that hard but again this is an unnecessary loss and gave me the impression that they were being cheap on parts as I'm sure I wasn't the first person to ask that question.
Having a hose a few inches longer or shorter basically adds nothing to the kit, we send those because that's how it fits the best while retaining proper flow to the inlet of the pump. Having a loop over the duct is not as good of a feed then the way we place it.
2. Control Module- This portion seemed to be well built but the positive wire that fits under the hood and runs back to the fuel pump was way TOO SHORT! I had to drive to Lowes match the wire thickness and purchase connector fittings to extend the lines. If I had put it in the location that the instructions recommended it would have been all most 2 ft. short, by me moving it closer to the panel (best location). I only had to add about 12 inches. Again easy fix but left me again thinking they were trying to cut corners
Again, adding a foot of wire means nothing to the expense, we have those harness assemblies made 100 at a time, it is possible that one was made a tad short, but I have not had any other calls on it or trouble with in house installs. Sorry about that.

3. Fuel Pump Terminals - the positive terminal fitting that goes on the positive side was too big and wouldn't fit in the plastic seating. They did provide one that would fit but you had to cut the one that came with the kit which made no sense because why not just put the right one on there to begin with. Even the rubber fitting that goes over the terminal was really hard to slide it over the area it was designed for as the spacing is extremely tight. At least when it's on you don't have to worry about it coming off.
I'll look into that.
4. Fuel Fittings - The fittings will work but I found having a 45 and 90 degree at the bottom and 120 and 180 fitting at the top provides a much cleaner setup and works well with the frame. If you order it and don't want to change the ones that come with the kit are completely fine.

5. Fuel Tank Adaptor - Very, Very nice piece but pain in the *** to in install. Once its in it looks perfect, wouldn't change anything but have a tool that helps install it a little more easier than the one that is provided.
It is easy if you have done it before, but the design does the best job have seen of proving a clean non leaking fitting with a filter.
Overall the kit was fine after fixing all the corks that I ran into. I am happy as I didn't have to put together a wiring harness myself but that was the only saving grace. You can probably put something together yourself and save about $300 buck but I was looking for a plug and play as I have too many other things to worry about for my build.
Sorry you feel that way, I have to disagree about your cost break down though. You would not get a CNC'd fuel block with a filter and return port, the hoses would not be professionally assembled and pressure tested. You could just drill a fitting in the tank and order hoses and fittings, but it is not the same thing, one is non professional, the other is machined products.
In the future please feel free to call if you ever have any install issues with our products, we are always willing to help.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 AM
tobb14
Instructor

Hey brother, I'm not trying to run your company name through the mud. I'm just putting out the issues I ran into with your kit. This corvette forum, is where we the customers share the honest truth about products that we are looking to purchase and the ones we purchase. The truth is the lines that came with my kit were way to short if I wanted to retain my factory brake cooling system and when I called the rep basically said unless I was running on the track all the time I wouldn't need it. The problem with that statement was, I didn't want to lose my brake duct especially when so many other kits out there I didn't have to. Long story short just extend the hoses by 8-12 inches or offer an upgrade kit with the extended hoses and the problem goes away all together.

2. You may produce 100 of the kits all the time but the question where are they housing it? The instructions tells how to hook it up but not where to place it. The most logical place is under the hood since the alternator cord is too short to run from the back of the car. The fuel pump positive is the longest wire so I naturally assumed the control module goes in the front and run the pump cord to the rear and if that is the case then that cord is WAY TOO SHORT. If I placed the fuel pump in the location that you are talking about it would have over 14 inches too short. Bottom line is I had to go out to purchase additional wire to make it work.

At the end of the day the kit wasn't a bad one but I did have issues and I did call he number provided. I was basically told that's how the kit comes. You can do what you like with the information I've listed but if you made the two major changes that I've mentioned 90% of the problems I found with the kit will go away. I am only customer out of your thousand's that you deal with. Both issues that mentioned seemed to be an easy cheap fix just make the changes or not either way I've purchase the kit already and never had any intentions of sending it back, I just simply worked through the issues. I will be posting a youtube video here soon for my C6 family so that they can see some of the challenges and the quick ways to mitigate them. I will be more than happy to send you the link, you will see that I'm not digging at you personally just trying to articulate things the Corvette Family need to be aware of when doing custom builds.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:09 AM
BT03mach-1
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed one on my car over the weekend. everything connected perfect. The bulk head took a few beers but it does go on. I cut a piece of card board and did a few test runs. The only main problem I had was I couldn't get the fuel line disconnect at the tank. If you unbolt the metal pan under the tank it will save your knuckles and you can tuck the fuel line in there easily when you reinstall it.

Last edited by BT03mach-1; 09-26-2018 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:08 AM
tobb14
Instructor

That setup looks good, I will post my lines this weekend. The length of my lines pulled the fuel pump a lot further to the right. the one you have installed looks like you can still retain your brake duct. I had to go out and purchase new fuel lines as I didn't want to lose my brake duct. Here's what I think happened, when they were putting together the system they put the wrong lines in the box, they may do hundreds but that doesn't mean mistakes don't happen. When I called the guy basically said don't worry about the brake duct, unless you are racing all the time you really don't need it. That was a real big turn off for me because the fix to the problem was simple just add a few more inches to the fuel lines and the problem goes away all together. The pump nor the fitting to the gas tank was ever in question, it was the small dumb s$%t that got over looked. Even my terminals to the fuel pump, I had to put new ones on it because the ones that came with the kit were to big to slide inside the plastic barriers. Again simple fix, it's just at that price, I didn't think I had to worry about small issues like this. A million people can post their experience with the system and I really don't care because I know what showed up at my house and what I did to fix it. In the end, it was just a dumb problem to fix. I know you lowered the pan but I just simply took the whole gas tank out because it was easier to work with an it only took about an hour to take it down. PTA but that what custom builds are all about.

Last edited by tobb14; 10-19-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ECS fuel pumps

Quick Reply: ECS fuel pumps