C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

M7 vs A8 - any "other" differences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
Default M7 vs A8 - any "other" differences?

I want to start with the statement - this is NOT a which is better thread or question. Everyone likes their transmission choice - I'm asking about non-opinion based differences.

Specifically what I'm trying to ask here in this - aside from who is shifting (your brain vs the computer brain) - are there other tuning differences with the timing, suspension, weight, etc?

Here's why I ask - I'm in the process of buying a z and have now 3X test driven an A8 and a M7 - and "to me" the manual cars are way more car. They just drive - again to me - so much more like a sports car... apples to apples - same year, trim package, sport / touring settings, everything.

3 different A8's seem more sluggish / softer than 2 different M7's unless you are in a WOT hit (which with this car is pretty rare / short durations public roads). In casual driving the A8 seems to shift to keep you in the highest gear for economy - even in sport / track modes. They also seem to just feel "softer" is maybe the word I would use when you do get on it (almost a bit of tip-in lag, maybe). I know the time slips don't lie and they are "faster" - but "to me" they don't feel that way. Also the M7 seemed "smoother". And the last time I really drove a stick was a good 25+ years ago. These were all "gently used" cars from 15,16,17 & 18... All L1Z or L2Z packages. All hard tops. All had the "stereo exhaust" set to the drive mode match - so the "sounds" wouldn't change the perception of comparison.

So, again, aside from the actual differences and personal preference in the gearbox itself - is there anything mechanical or technical (timing, car weight, etc) that makes things "feel" different... or is this all just mental?

(Full disclosure - I have 725hp Mustang right now that's an auto I'm excited to dump for the z - and I came into this positive I wanted a C7 A8... so this isn't a troll post or click bait - I'm genuinely wondering why the cars feel so different. My gut is I'm simply keeping the RPM's higher with the manual so it "feels" more responsive... BUT - I did put the A8's in "paddle only" mode, keeping the shifting points about where I did with the manual, and even then it just didn't seem as "tight" of a driving experience - so I came here to the experts!)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:18 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick
All had the "stereo exhaust" set to the drive mode match - so the "sounds" wouldn't change the perception of comparison.
Stereo exhaust? I don't believe these cars send engine sounds through the stereo speakers. The NPP exhaust works.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbartick
Stereo exhaust? I don't believe these cars send engine sounds through the stereo speakers. The NPP exhaust works.
Given the tap of the screen makes the floor rumble with no other change - I assumed that was all subwoofer derived (but there's so much about these cars that's crazy cool - I truly have no idea)... but it's irrelevant for the purpose of my question since they were set to follow the drive mode of the dial selector.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,143 Posts

Simple answer before the inevitable long going argument which would extend to about 6 pages within the next 48 hours but here goes.

A8 faster in the 1/4, 5th gear falls flat on it's face. It overheats with ANY aggressive track driving., doesn't matter what year you get. Can't use the paddles unless you're going WOT or it's DOG slow. Easier to drive, good for everyday, and good if you have family members who can't drive a manual. More power loss through the auto. Probably easier resale, but we don't know that yet.

M7. More fun to drive, better track car. Less prone to overheating during aggressive track driving. Good theft preventative. Less power loss through the manual. Longer gears which makes top speed acceleration better. A better weekend car but if you dare, can still be a daily driver. (most people have manual daily drivers anyway, i do. And i wish i had the gearing of my Z for the daily driving i do). Probably easier resale, since manual will soon be extinct and that might attract more car enthusiasts who prefer to preserve having a manual in their garage.

I think that sums it up.
The following 3 users liked this post by Z0HS1CK:
BlownC6z51 (09-01-2023), DAC17 (09-25-2018), tstad9i1 (09-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:59 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Thanks for the response but that's not the thread Im looking for...

What Im asking is basically - aside from THAT stuff - are there physical / programming difference between a M7 and A8...

In the car - in the build - in the PCM program?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I want to start with the statement - this is NOT a which is better thread or question. Everyone likes their transmission choice - I'm asking about non-opinion based differences.

Specifically what I'm trying to ask here in this - aside from who is shifting (your brain vs the computer brain) - are there other tuning differences with the timing, suspension, weight, etc?

Here's why I ask - I'm in the process of buying a z and have now 3X test driven an A8 and a M7 - and "to me" the manual cars are way more car. They just drive - again to me - so much more like a sports car... apples to apples - same year, trim package, sport / touring settings, everything.

3 different A8's seem more sluggish / softer than 2 different M7's unless you are in a WOT hit (which with this car is pretty rare / short durations public roads). In casual driving the A8 seems to shift to keep you in the highest gear for economy - even in sport / track modes. They also seem to just feel "softer" is maybe the word I would use when you do get on it (almost a bit of tip-in lag, maybe). I know the time slips don't lie and they are "faster" - but "to me" they don't feel that way. Also the M7 seemed "smoother". And the last time I really drove a stick was a good 25+ years ago. These were all "gently used" cars from 15,16,17 & 18... All L1Z or L2Z packages. All hard tops. All had the "stereo exhaust" set to the drive mode match - so the "sounds" wouldn't change the perception of comparison.

So, again, aside from the actual differences and personal preference in the gearbox itself - is there anything mechanical or technical (timing, car weight, etc) that makes things "feel" different... or is this all just mental?

(Full disclosure - I have 725hp Mustang right now that's an auto I'm excited to dump for the z - and I came into this positive I wanted a C7 A8... so this isn't a troll post or click bait - I'm genuinely wondering why the cars feel so different. My gut is I'm simply keeping the RPM's higher with the manual so it "feels" more responsive... BUT - I did put the A8's in "paddle only" mode, keeping the shifting points about where I did with the manual, and even then it just didn't seem as "tight" of a driving experience - so I came here to the experts!)
you summed up why I bought the m7. I test drove several a8’s and a couple of m7’s. There is no exhaust simulation noise coming through the speakers inside the car.

A8 is a quarter mile beast. Mostly from its 60foot launch on through the first couple hundred feet. The m7 rev match is great and it is designed to handled full throttle shifts. Although I haven’t needed or desired to do a throttle in shift.

I came from a c6z06. I actually thought the c6z was faster then a c7z in a roll on. Took a lot of heat here on the forum for mentioning that. I retract that thought since I saw a member texasslim I think it was posted a roll on race from 40 to 160 in his stock c7z versus his brother’s c6z. You’ll like it over the mustang.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:44 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Thanks for the response but that's not the thread Im looking for...

What Im asking is basically - aside from THAT stuff - are there physical / programming difference between a M7 and A8...

In the car - in the build - in the PCM program?
Of course there's a programming difference.

The computer does all the shifting in an A8. But it's slow.

Your clutch pedal and your right hand on the gear lever is what does the "programming" in shifting in an M7.

Not sure where you're trying to go with these questions. Like you want to swap PCM's with someone or something?

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 08-26-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:57 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Simple answer before the inevitable long going argument which would extend to about 6 pages within the next 48 hours but here goes.

I think that sums it up.
So the old and/or insecure guys pick the manual? Is that the takeaway? Are we really doing this every three days now?

As for me, only the A8 can provide the kind of feedback needed for the visceral experience of launching a 650hp car. The manual just doesn't do it for me, there's absolutely NO torque multiplication off the line (just like the Dusenberg your grandpappy had). Real performance drivers want the maximal acceleration and aren't concerned with posing, which is why you only see automatics in any professional race circuit (excluding the exceptions).

And so on... I can do it from either side and it's just as banal.

If you want the fast one, get the A8. If you want the one to take the place of pulling second coming out of the high school parking lot in your Camaro, get the M7. Heck, there's a guy on here with both and he's the most bitter dude around, so that doesn't help!

Last edited by davepl; 08-26-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
So the old and/or insecure guys pick the manual? Is that the takeaway? Are we really doing this every three days now?

As for me, only the A8 can provide the kind of feedback needed for the visceral experience of launching a 650hp car. The manual just doesn't do it for me, there's absolutely NO torque multiplication off the line (just like the Dusenberg your grandpappy had). Real performance drivers want the maximal acceleration and aren't concerned with posing, which is why you only see automatics in any professional race circuit (excluding the exceptions).

If you want the fast one, get the A8. If you want the one to take the place of pulling second coming out of the high school parking lot in your Camaro, get the M7. Heck, there's a guy on here with both and he's the most bitter dude around, so that doesn't help!

If you have faith in my fishing reel, then yes i guess every 3 days seems about right lol

I said the A8 is faster in the 1/4 and would be faster in real world driving where all you have to do is stomp the right pedal and not worry about anything.

Autos are in every professional race circuit, you're right. But they use proper autos

Hopefully GM finally puts out that dual clutch in the C8.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:19 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I been driving the A8 daily. If I had to narrow to only 1 Z06 it would be the manual. The A8 is ok has a 60ft advantage from the low first gear other than that the manual is much more fun to drive to A8 gets feeling lame on the stock car as
well. The top end pull (over 130 mph) of the stock car with the A8 really slows. The right blower for the Z06 really is the 2300! More head room on the LT4 over the LS9 due the higher compression of the lt4.
Thus why GM used the smaller 1.7 the lt 4 needs less blower so GM felt the 1.7 was adequate. .

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-26-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:00 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

More like the cars and coffee guys buy the A8 and then they get insecure when the word MANUAL even gets mentioned in threads
They get super defensive with their choice so they defend it all costs. Mostly by attacking the manual in opening statements. A very fascinating phenomena!

Visceral Experience launching the A8? OK!??
Doesn't it just consist of smashing the gas?
Old 08-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I guess you also like the a8 because of a smoother ride on trips to see the urologist for your 4 fingered prostate exam. 😂

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 08-26-2018 at 01:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. Gizmo:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-26-2018), Oneslackr (08-26-2018), Z0HS1CK (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:16 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

I guess you also like the a8 because of a smoother ride on trips to see the urologist for your 4 fingered prostate exam. 😂
AND HERE WE GO!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM
fishpick
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Not sure where you're trying to go with these questions.
I'm trying to understand how 2 "identical" cars are so vastly different when driving.

Specifically - I have heard / read that the A8 in the z is somehow "different" than the A8 in non-z flavors... don't know if that's true or not... but I specifically was asking - aside from the transmission itself - are there other KNOWN differences. Like - does the PCM pull a ton of timing on the A8 at certain points to make the TC happy? Things like that.

I don't give a rats backside what other people like or don't like nor do I care if someone likes an A8 over a M7.. or a M7 over an A8... If someone is fortunate enough to own one of these awesome cars - the gear box is their choice just like color, trim, whatever... And if they like their choice - that's AWESOME. My question is not based on wanting to know why someone picked a transmission anymore than why is his car yellow and the other guys blue...

All I was optimistically hoping for in this thread that has already skidded off the road, through the ditch and into the cornfield was simple - aside from the "box between the engine and the rear wheels" - are the other TECHNICAL / PHYSICAL things that make these 2 cars seem so different?
Old 08-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

What you'll find out by asking a question like this is that the thread will descend into the typical argumentative bitch fest, like pretty much every thread on this site.

You have test driven a bunch of different Z06s, both auto & M7 & by what I quoted above I think you've already answered your own question as to which car to buy. Buy the one you think you would prefer driving, the one you think you can live with for a while, & that best suits your intended purpose for the car. That's all it really boils down to.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 08-26-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
ditto, stereo is the system BMW uses.

OP, honestly not sure where you’re going with this. Two different transmissions, one manual with a fairly good short 7-speed shifter and easy clutch, the other a decent standard (nonDCT, non CVT torque converter) 8-speed auto. There are other things particular to one, like the manual has Hill Assist and Rev match. You’re also aware I presume of efficiency difference in torque at the wheels between manual (more efficient) and auto. A8 is slightly heavier but insignificantly so. And the respective transmissions are tuned by gears ratios and, in the case of auto, throttle response and shifting response.

We can only say which we like based on the feel... I’ve owned both new ‘17 c7 A8 and M7, switched from A8 to M7 because I was missing the manual in a weekend toy.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oneslackr (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:30 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

If anything the M car is pulling power to preserve the trans. I know that is the case for the ZR1, but not sure on Z06. The A8 actually has a higher torque rating than the M7. I am guessing you are just feeling the trans response through the torque converter, which can probably be tuned different. Were all of the C7's you test drove Z06's? To get real answers you probably need to start a thread about ECM tuning for each trans option, maybe in the tech section or on HP Tuners forum.

The A8 is a little heavier, but I doubt you are feeling that difference.

Last edited by djnice; 08-26-2018 at 01:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by djnice:
fishpick (08-26-2018), Oneslackr (08-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To M7 vs A8 - any "other" differences?

Old 08-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

it’s silly to slam either one... the A8 and M7 are both fun for different reasons. I have owned and loved both new in ‘17 c7 and I just prefer the M7 Z for a weekend toy and driving experience. If you’re adamant abt the A8, vis a vis your race drivers’ comment, pls just post your GTLM license and Laguna Seca/ WIllow/ ‘Ring times so we can discuss your credibility.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-26-2018 at 01:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Parcival:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-26-2018), Z0HS1CK (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm trying to understand how 2 "identical" cars are so vastly different when driving.

Specifically - I have heard / read that the A8 in the z is somehow "different" than the A8 in non-z flavors... don't know if that's true or not... but I specifically was asking - aside from the transmission itself - are there other KNOWN differences. Like - does the PCM pull a ton of timing on the A8 at certain points to make the TC happy? Things like that.

All I was optimistically hoping for in this thread that has already skidded off the road, through the ditch and into the cornfield was simple - aside from the "box between the engine and the rear wheels" - are the other TECHNICAL / PHYSICAL things that make these 2 cars seem so different?
I know you haven't specifically asked about over heating issues between A8s & M7s on the track or the differences in this regard between model years (2015 & 2016 vs 2017+ models) but you might enjoy reading this older thread from 2017. Track Report: Cooling tested 2017 vs 2016 vs 2015 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vs-2015-a.html
Old 08-26-2018, 02:16 PM
fishpick
Instructor

Originally Posted by djnice
If anything the M car is pulling power to preserve the trans. I know that is the case for the ZR1, but not sure on Z06. The A8 actually has a higher torque rating than the M7. I am guessing you are just feeling the trans response through the torque converter, which can probably be tuned different. Were all of the C7's you test drove Z06's? To get real answers you probably need to start a thread about ECM tuning for each trans option, maybe in the tech section or on HP Tuners forum.

The A8 is a little heavier, but I doubt you are feeling that difference.
Interesting and might do that over in tuning... but the reason I'm moving to a z from my Mustang (aside from handling) is the fact I just want something that runs, is smooth, and pulls hard. While I love all the 2.9 blower and suspension work I have wrenched onto my Mustang - the tune is garbage - and it's from one of the best tuners out there... and the kit tune was nothing great either... I just want to hit the go pedal and have it go... not stutter through the go... so - while I have looked at the 2.3 options to slap on a GS, and other things... I'm actually looking to spend more on the z and NOT tune, wrench, anything on this car for a good long while. Right now - for the purpose of this car - I'm abiding by "stock is good"

As an aside - I have seen a lot of people do the ported TB to fix some throttle tip in lag... I never once felt that with the M7 but was able to reproduce it several times in the A8's I drove. Again - very stark differences in the car... (and again - it may simply have been where I was holding the RPM's in the M7 vs the A8 going to highest possible gear)

So what I was looking for was things like weight, etc So thanks for that one. And yes - unless you are in a mini cooper with a 300# buddy - I'm not gonna notice a few hundred pounds... It just "felt" so different - several times... and I was SURE I was gonna go A8... ergo me daring to post "this kind of thread"...

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I know you haven't specifically asked about over heating issues between A8s & M7s on the track or the differences in this regard between model years (2015 & 2016 vs 2017+ models) but you might enjoy reading this older thread from 2017. Track Report: Cooling tested 2017 vs 2016 vs 2015 https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vs-2015-a.html
I have read / hear a bunch about the change starting in 2017. One of the M7's was a 16... but this was all road test driving and nowhere near limits of the car. The reality of my expected use for this car is a few HPDE events - maybe - but that's an expensive hobby! Mostly it's a summer time top off car in NY... much like the current Mustang... only difference is - the z will be a way nicer, smoother, cooler, better cornering, sharper, faster in the turns, does not feel like it's going to fly apart when you tap into WOT, car

Quick Reply: M7 vs A8 - any "other" differences?