C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:13 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Slow start?

I have a new issue maybe someone has had it before. If I知 driving and turn it off and try to start it shortly after it starts extremely slow and I mean extremely slow but if I let it sit for a few hours it値l crank just fine.. Any ideas?
Old 08-31-2018, 05:03 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Battery or a bad cable.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 08-31-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:16 PM
dlcain
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My 76 firebird started doing that right after I installed headers (overheated starter) may be related.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:28 PM
gandeboz
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by All Stock Ls2
I have a new issue maybe someone has had it before. If I知 driving and turn it off and try to start it shortly after it starts extremely slow and I mean extremely slow but if I let it sit for a few hours it値l crank just fine.. Any ideas?
if its that slow id investigate the battery or cable. Mine starts up smoother if i turn it off and restart and thats because everything is warmed up. But starting slow is an issue
Old 08-31-2018, 05:44 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds a lot like a heat soaked starter to me.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Goodz04
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just went through this with mine and solved the problem by doing a few things.

1. Check the battery.
- My battery was a little low on voltage and cranking amps. This definitely attributes to some of the problem to slow starting in general.
2. The main issue was that the starter was getting too hot sitting next to the passenger header. As OregonMike mentioned a heat soaked starter.
- I replaced the starter after having it tested. Solenoid was fine when cold, but when hot it was having issues. Wrapped the new starter and passenger header in exhaust wrap. Starts up every time with no hesitation now.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Just went through this today. Header heat finally killed the starter.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:49 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
Just went through this today. Header heat finally killed the starter.
Lab guarding the starter?
Old 09-01-2018, 09:10 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Lol. He supervised the swap.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

I suspect the starter itself or the connection at the starter. A weak battery would drop so much voltage under load that the computer would brown out before a healthy starter would slow down. Once the computer stops running, it stops turning over the engine. That's why Corvettes with weak batteries don't crank slowly, they just don't crank at all.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

The reason it is hard to start again immediately after you shut it off is because the heat in the engine has caused the metal to expand. After it sits for a while, the metal cools off and the metal contracts which makes it easier to start.

So, as mentioned, you need to check your charging system. It's impossible for someone on here to diagnose the problem without being there to check it out.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1
The reason it is hard to start again immediately after you shut it off is because the heat in the engine has caused the metal to expand. After it sits for a while, the metal cools off and the metal contracts which makes it easier to start.

So, as mentioned, you need to check your charging system. It's impossible for someone on here to diagnose the problem without being there to check it out.

Good luck.
What "metal"?

Note to anyone who didn't read the OP: The screen name of the OP is "All stock LS2." If words still mean things, that means NO HEADERS.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey everybody I just wanna thank you all for taking the time to help me out I have a new starter and starter blanket at home I値l install them on Friday and see how it goes from there. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bruze
What "metal"?

Note to anyone who didn't read the OP: The screen name of the OP is "All stock LS2." If words still mean things, that means NO HEADERS.
Well, the metal that is used in your engine. Pistons, rings, engine block, crank, cam, bearings, etc., etc.

Have you ever placed your hand on your engine just after you shut it off? Yep, it's hot. And when all that metal gets hot, it expands and all the parts get tighter. That makes your engine harder to start.

And after your car sits for a while, the entire engine cools off. And when metal cools off, all the parts aren't pressing against each other so tightly because they have what is called, "contracted". And your engine becomes easier to start because of this reaction.

So, quite often, this is why an engine won't restart immediately after you shut it off. Yet when you try to start it, say, a half or an hour later, it starts right up. You with me now?

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 09-13-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Well, the metal that is used in your engine. Pistons, rings, engine block, crank, cam, bearings, etc., etc.

Have you ever placed your hand on your engine just after you shut it off? Yep, it's hot. And when all that metal gets hot, it expands and all the parts get tighter. That makes your engine harder to start.

And after your car sits for a while, the entire engine cools off. And when metal cools off, all the parts aren't pressing against each other so tightly because they have what is called, "contracted". And your engine becomes easier to start because of this reaction.

So, quite often, this is why an engine won't restart immediately after you shut it off. Yet when you try to start it, say, a half or an hour later, it starts right up. You with me now?

BS, unless you have some specific problem with the engine. All engines get hot when running, and all engines start okay after they are hot unless there is some problem. The "metal" all expands, not just some of it. Clearances may be slightly different when cold vs. hot, but certainly not enough to cause the engine to be so tight it turns over slower than usual.

Back in the day with points ignition and spark timing adjusted by twisting the distributor, if it was advanced too far then it would crank slowly when hot. This is supposed to be automatic today, so that wouldn't be an issue. If an engine cranks slowly today it isn't because the timing is off and it isn't because the engine is "hot." It has to be a problem with the starter or its circuitry caused by engine heat.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 PM
mhmayhem88
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm noticing a similar pattern with mine as well. Heat seems to be the common factor and here in Florida, heat is easy to come by. First start of the day and parked in the garage = no problem. If I drive somewhere and park for a little while outside in the sun then it seems to struggle starting. I've had two separate instances in the last couple of months where it just didn't start on the first try after being parked outside for a bit. It starts right up on the second try but now I'm starting to worry that I'm going to get stranded somewhere. Should I look at replacing the starter?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bruze
BS, unless you have some specific problem with the engine. All engines get hot when running, and all engines start okay after they are hot unless there is some problem. The "metal" all expands, not just some of it. Clearances may be slightly different when cold vs. hot, but certainly not enough to cause the engine to be so tight it turns over slower than usual.

Back in the day with points ignition and spark timing adjusted by twisting the distributor, if it was advanced too far then it would crank slowly when hot. This is supposed to be automatic today, so that wouldn't be an issue. If an engine cranks slowly today it isn't because the timing is off and it isn't because the engine is "hot." It has to be a problem with the starter or its circuitry caused by engine heat.

It will be an issue and happen like I said if his battery is weak or he has other problems that doesn't give him the full starting power that he needs. If you have a ground that isn't making good contact, or a starter that is weak or another problem that causes a problem, but only weakens the starting of the car, then yes, the expansion of the metal in the engine can cause it to not start when it will start when the engine has cooled off.

Get notified of new replies

To Slow start?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It will be an issue and happen like I said if his battery is weak or he has other problems that doesn't give him the full starting power that he needs. If you have a ground that isn't making good contact, or a starter that is weak or another problem that causes a problem, but only weakens the starting of the car, then yes, the expansion of the metal in the engine can cause it to not start when it will start when the engine has cooled off.
Worst answer ever. And actually the complete opposite is true. A warmed up engine has a lot less friction and will turn easier. Why do you think cold starts are considered bad for a motor? Did you ever hear of engine break-in? The parts of your motor will run better with less friction when hot because the motor spends about 99% of its time running while hot or warmed up. All the parts break in under these conditions and as a result run better with less friction when warmed up.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Double BS. I stand by my previous answer.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:27 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Hey everybody I just wanna thank you all for taking the time to help me out I have a new starter and starter blanket at home I値l install them on Friday and see how it goes from there. Thanks again!
...and?

Quick Reply: Slow start?