C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-5 Spare tire options ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 05:20 PM
ZORRO MAN
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C-5 Spare tire options ??

Hi,
I remember seeing somewhere that you can use a donut spare from A PONTIAC G6 OR GTO SOME time ago. I no longer remember the details or were I saw it here on the forum. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if he same tire will fit front and rear? I somehow remember maybe can be done with some sort of spacer or adapter. Anyone ?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:19 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a GTO donut wheel and tire that I take on longer road trips. It will fit front and rear. I had to enlarge the center hole to get it to fit.
I also use a scissor jack that I bought at a wrecking yard. It was like new and cost $5.00.
I live in the desert so having a spare gives me an option if I don’t have cell service.

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-10-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 PM
ZORRO MAN
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. What year gto and how did you enlarge the hole?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08 AM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I’m not positive what year GTO the wheel came from but I think it was 2004.
i used a round file to enlarge the center hole. It took a while.
Fortunately, I’ve never had to use the spare. I don’t carry it around town. I only bring it on cross desert trips.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:21 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I also had to open up the hole in the hub to get it to slip onto my C5's hub. Mine came from a railcar load of GTO's wrecked in Blairstown, Iowa, back in 2005.

I used a DeWalt Coated Aluminum Oxide Mounted Flap Wheel...

Grainger carries them in a variety of sizes and widths. You don't need it wider than 1", and only slightly larger diameter than the hole opening. Just take it easy and don't be too aggressive. You want the wheel to just slip over the hub.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 09-10-2018, 01:53 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ZORRO MAN
Hi,
I remember seeing somewhere that you can use a donut spare from A PONTIAC G6 OR GTO SOME time ago. I no longer remember the details or were I saw it here on the forum. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if he same tire will fit front and rear? I somehow remember maybe can be done with some sort of spacer or adapter. Anyone ?
I, too, carry a GTO spare only on long trips. While most people seem to have to slightly hollow out the center holes, I didn't have to do that on mine, as it fit fine on my Corvette. However, I had to very slightly hollow out the five "lug" holes, because the GTO spare apparently has a slightly different bolt pattern (probably metric versus English, I'm guessing) than the Corvette. I can't remember the year GTO from which my spare was sourced.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:59 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZORRO MAN
Hi,
I also use a low scissor jack, and I carry a sturdy flat piece of wood to put under the jack, because one never knows whether it may be necessary to jack up the car in a soft dirt/muddy/sandy environment.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:57 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

GTO wheels are 120mm PCD. Corvette wheels are 4.75" PCD, i.e. slightly larger, which means that a bending load gets applied to the studs when they are tightened. A C4 spare has the right PCD.
CorvetteBrent (01-21-2019)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 PM
wallysolvette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a spare tire and wheel made for a 2014 Camaro. It is designed to fit Brembo brakes on the SS model. Would sell for $60 plus the ride from zip 79118. Never been on the ground.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 AM
mwestc5
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default I'm Using Spare From Cadillac CTS

I have a 2011 Caddy CTS (not a V).
My research showed that this generation CTS bolt pattern should fit my C5.
I have 2 C5's, a street convertible and a Z06 modified for the track.
Bigger brakes totally reworked suspension.

Also, I run 18" wheels on all 4 corners on both my Vettes. I run a 285 X 30 X18
My CTS obviously has 18" wheels.
I tested the fit and spare fits perfectly-although on track Vette front I use 2 5/16" wheel spacers for spare to fit over the bigger brake calipers.
Yesterday was 1st time I needed to use the spare.
My front left wheel developed a crack on the track this past Sat.
I was able to borrow 2 tires from from someone at the track so I had matching tires on each axle although front and rears were different but they worked perfectly.
After the event I returned the borrowed tires (although he offered to let me use them to drive home) and put my CTS spare on the front. Had a 90 mile drive home mostly interstate.
Tried to keep my speed between 72- 75 so I would keep pace with traffic and not and exceed the tires capability-which by the way I had no idea what the even was.
I honestly was unable to even notice I had a donut spare on my left front.
I did not drive nearly as spirited as I normally would.but easily and comfortably kept pace with traffic and at times hit speeds in excess of 80-85 to get around congestion.
I was very pleased to find this spare handled very very well.

And as a side note do not use Chinese made wheels on a track car. I try and not use Chinese made stuff on anything.
Over the years I was buying up C5 Z06 wheels to use on both cars and have track tires mounted for the track and street tires mounted on my C5 convertible(same size tires on both cars)
I did not pay attention to where they were made. The OEM wheels are Speed Line and made in Italy. I've had no issues with them at all.
But a few weeks ago after a few days at Watkins Glen (I no longer trailer my car to the track-I drive it there and hopefully back) after returning home the following morning I saw I had a flat on left rear.
Took tire off and could not find anything-dropped it at my tire shop-they called and told me wheel had a hairline crack where 1 of spokes met the rim.
When I examined the wheel more closely, I saw Made In China. I started looking at origin of my other wheels. For the most part I'm trying to use the Chinese wheels only on my street car till I can replace them with non-Chinese wheels. But a few track tires are still mounted on Chinese wheels. I check my wheels fairly closely before, during and after each track event.
Towards end of day on Sat I'm looking at my wheels and I use a flashlight even in the daytime.
I noticed what looked like a hair stuck to my left front wheel where the spoke met the hub.
I sprayed whatever I had handy on it (windex) I could immediately see the air bubbling out.
My plan is to replace all my wheels including street with non-Chinese wheels.
But, for now I think it's safe to use the Chinese wheels on the street.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:30 AM
chrisrazzzz
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C-5 Spare Tire Options

I have a C-5 and found a website that sells spare tire kits. I was quite impressed when I received mine. Well worth the money. Designed to work with 1997 to 2018 Corvettes, both front and rear tire sizes. Everything needed to change a tire. Website: modernspare.com
Old 11-08-2018, 01:51 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrisrazzzz
I have a C-5 and found a website that sells spare tire kits. I was quite impressed when I received mine. Well worth the money. Designed to work with 1997 to 2018 Corvettes, both front and rear tire sizes. Everything needed to change a tire. Website: modernspare.com
I checked out the site, stuff looks good but a bit pricey for what it is.
I got my CTS spare brand new for $99
Got a very low profile scissors jack for $12 bucks (my Z06 track Vette is very very low) that fits under my car with tire inflated but not if flat. Carry a 2ft long 8"x2" block of wood, driving flat tire onto the wood gives me ample clearance for the jack. After testing the 1 low profile scissors, I bought 3 more.
I had a 1/2 drive socket welded onto the end of the scissors jack so I can easily raise the jack with my breaker bar. I used to carry a small harbor freight floor jack with me but it takes up too much of my limited space in the Z06.
I do carry a floor jack in all my cars with ample trunk space. The others with limited space that use scissors jacks I had the same 1/2 drive socket welded onto all those scissors jacks. So far the only 2 times I had to use these was to help 2 other stranded motorists with flats who were waiting for road side service. In one case they never arrived and the other they canceled the tow after we'd gotten their spare on.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:53 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by wallysolvette
I have a spare tire and wheel made for a 2014 Camaro. It is designed to fit Brembo brakes on the SS model. Would sell for $60 plus the ride from zip 79118. Never been on the ground.
Amarillo, ever check out Bills Backyard Classic Cars?
An amazing private car collection.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 PM
Bubba1951
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 50 MPH Max speed for Donut

The owners manuals for every car I have ever owned that had donut spares stated that they have a max speed of 50 MPH.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:52 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Default C5 Spare Option

I have 2C5's. Z06 track & conv for street
I also have a Caddy CTS. CTS donut spare fits my C5's. I've had to use it on Z06 twice. Drove on interstate for 150 miles @ 75mph-no problem. Have had the pleasure of using donut spares on other cars also for extended distances & also averaging between 50-70 mph. Last time I used donut on Z06, I mentioned it to guy who sets up my track car. He says donut is good for 186mph. My obvious response is What? He says he was involved in setting a speed record @ Bonneville Salt Flats in 928 Porsche, ran on 4 donut spares to reduce resistance. Basically, I've never had a problem using a donut @ highway speeds.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Some C5 have 18' wheels in front and 19" wheels in the rear. Do you know whether the C4's spare would be usable for, say, 50 miles in a flat-tire emergency situation on the rear axle of a Corvette with a 19' wheel? Even the GTO spare was originally designed to be used with 17" wheels, I think.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM
mwestc5
Instructor

Default C5 Spare

As I mentioned I use Cadillac CTS spare. It's 18".
when I've had flats I run the donut on the front. I removed rear flat tire-swapped good front tire to rear & mounted donut on front. I run an 18" square set up on all corners on both my C5's.
Bigger issue is where do you fit the flat tire. So far all my C5 tire isses have been on the track. Gave flat tire to a friend to carry for me. But, I've tested fit in my C5 conv & my 285x30x18 tires fit into trunk. I also carry cam-llock straps to hold down trunk or rear hatch should flat have to go back there.

Last edited by mwestc5; 01-21-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C-5 Spare tire options ??

Old 01-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Bushman66
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is what I did for my 2004 Z06.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ta-c5-z06.html
HardCOReVETT (07-03-2020)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:39 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

This has been mentioned before;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...available.html

Here are their kits and mini spare;

https://modernspare.com/search-page/...vette&cfy=2001

https://modernspare.com/product/1997...eel-tire-only/
Old 01-24-2019, 01:22 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've always wondered where do you put the wheel you take off when you put your spare on. Especially if you already have stuff in your trunk and have a passenger.
SG Lou (01-24-2019)

Quick Reply: C-5 Spare tire options ??