C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake pedal issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:07 PM
wardie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Brake pedal issues

My 89' Corvette is starting to give me an issue with the brakes. Earlier this year I installed SS lines all around. Completely bleed the brakes and have always had a good pedal. Lately when I first apply the brakes backing out of the driveway the pedal will travel almost to the floor. I left off and immediately step on the brake pedal and I have a firm pedal. This has happened when I head up the street and go to stoip at traffic light pedal goes down if I leave off then immediately step on it I have a great hard pedal.. The pedal never travels to the floor and I have some brake action. When the brake is hard it does not move or slowly travel at all?

I have the same fluid in the master cylinder reservoirs. This has started to happen more frequently. I stopped in my drive and the pedal went down I left off then pressed down again and had full pedal but this time when the pedl went down the brake light came on? It went off when I released the pedal then stepped back on it.

Not sure if its ABS/Sensors or Master Cylinder issues. Any thoughts or help out there?

1989 Coupe L98 nothing special, auto trans.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I would wonder if the ABS system was bled out when the fluid emptied. That or the master cylinder might have issues.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:34 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

Take it to a competent brake shop and ask to have the entire system, including ABS flushed and bled.
Sounds like Master cylinder is going. Pressure is not staying in lines.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by krackenvette
Take it to a competent brake shop and ask to have the entire system, including ABS flushed and bled.
Sounds like Master cylinder is going. Pressure is not staying in lines.
I'd call around to see if they have the ABS module scanner that can pulse the solenoid
The following users liked this post:
krackenvette (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 01:55 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
I'd call around to see if they have the ABS module scanner that can pulse the solenoid
Dealership can do it.. But, it is the stealership
Old 09-23-2018, 02:05 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

to me that sounds like "volume" being filled successfully by the mc pumping the fluid.

either air, which would be the most common and obvious. or lines expanding, or a caliper piston sticking in the "out" position.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Dealership can do it.. But, it is the stealership
Maybe they can ,maybe they don't want to and say they don't have the tool Beggars can't be choosers
Old 09-23-2018, 03:39 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
Maybe they can ,maybe they don't want to and say they don't have the tool Beggars can't be choosers
A ABS cycles itself every time you drive it after 4 mph, if I remember. So, the air in that system should be gone...
A tech 1/2 can cycle the system during a flush or bleed.. Its not hard for a dealer to do it.
Its trusting a dealership to do it.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

A ABS cycles itself every time you drive it after 4 mph, if I remember. So, the air in that system should be gone...

A tech 1/2 can cycle the system during a flush or bleed.. Its not hard for a dealer to do it.
Its trusting a dealership to do it.
Yet there are people who have the issue after doing that. I think you can burbs it eventually but whether you are willing to put up with it till then is another story I'm not but that's me.

They may be hesitant to work on older cars and either say they don't have the right scanner or quote an insane price Seen that before.

I do not trust them but I don't have the luxury of ignoring them. I read up on the procedure and WATCH CLOSELY when they work. Small compromise but a deal breaker if you don't agree
Old 08-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Theman5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Watching for updates

What ever happened??

Last edited by Theman5; 08-25-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pedal issues

Quick Reply: Brake pedal issues