C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mag shocks vs. non mag on Z51 comparo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:24 PM
rplanddeck
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mag shocks vs. non mag on Z51 comparo

I purchased a beautiful used 2016 3LT Z51, thought all 3LT's had Mag shocks. Disappointed that mine doesn't but I am winning autocrosses so maybe not that much difference.
Any back to back comparisons of Mag vs. non-mag in autocross or track situations?
Anyone switch to newer car with Mag shocks finding a racing advantage?
Anyone having success with aftermarket shock upgrades?
Bob
Old 09-16-2018, 01:16 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by rplanddeck
I purchased a beautiful used 2016 3LT Z51, thought all 3LT's had Mag shocks. Disappointed that mine doesn't but I am winning autocrosses so maybe not that much difference.
Any back to back comparisons of Mag vs. non-mag in autocross or track situations?
Bob
I've had huge improvement with coilovers in my track times. The stock suspension is good for stock tires, but becomes a big bottleneck if you switch to wider tires with stickier compounds.

My lap times at my local track dropped from 1:58s to 1:52s there first day I've switched to LG G2 coilovers + sways.

Last edited by X25; 09-16-2018 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rplanddeck (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 PM
rplanddeck
Advanced

Originally Posted by X25
I've had huge improvement with coilovers in my track times. The stock suspension is good for stock tires, but becomes a big bottleneck if you switch to wider tires with stickier compounds.

My lap times at my local track dropped from 1:58s to 1:52s there first day I've switched to LG G2 coilovers + sways.
Thanks! Coil-overs are a great addition to any Corvette but I am a stock-class autocrosser so they are not an option for me.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! Coil-overs are a great addition to any Corvette but I am a stock-class autocrosser so they are not an option for me.
Just an idea:
Could you use different OEM springs? You could switch to GS/Z06 springs that are stiffer, and get your OEM shocks revalved to match?

If I recall correctly, Bilstein USA can revalve the OEM shocks. If it's correct, I think you could transform your car's handling.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:12 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Just an idea:
Could you use different OEM springs? You could switch to GS/Z06 springs that are stiffer, and get your OEM shocks revalved to match?

If I recall correctly, Bilstein USA can revalve the OEM shocks. If it's correct, I think you could transform your car's handling.
I agree 100% will help you track time a ton. I moved from the z51 set up to the LG stuff & can tell a diff in the corners for sure. Robert
Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 AM
rplanddeck
Advanced

Interesting information. Do all Grand sport and Z-06 cars have Mag shocks?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting information. Do all Grand sport and Z-06 cars have Mag shocks?
Yep
rplanddeck (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Regardless of whether it improves lap times or not the MRC is one my favorite things on my Z51. The ability to soften things up for daily driving or taking the wife out to dinner then turning the **** so its firm and response for the track is just mega! One of the main reasons I got rid of my Nissan 350Z was the ride quality, it was too stiff and jarring. Feeling every pebble gets old fast, that car just beat you up. It was so annoying the wife basically refused to ride in it
Old 10-02-2018, 06:44 PM
rplanddeck
Advanced

I found the perfect C-7 3LT, with PDR, thought all 3LT's have mag shocks...not so. I'm ok with it, after driving a C-5 for 12 years, the C-7 still feels like a Cadillac!
Old 10-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I found the perfect C-7 3LT, with PDR, thought all 3LT's have mag shocks...not so. I'm ok with it, after driving a C-5 for 12 years, the C-7 still feels like a Cadillac!
Same here. Had a C5 z06, talk about a stiff suspension. The C7 Grand Sport can go from plush to stiff with a turn of a dial. Awesome.
rplanddeck (10-03-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JMII
Regardless of whether it improves lap times or not the MRC is one my favorite things on my Z51. The ability to soften things up for daily driving or taking the wife out to dinner then turning the **** so its firm and response for the track is just mega! One of the main reasons I got rid of my Nissan 350Z was the ride quality, it was too stiff and jarring. Feeling every pebble gets old fast, that car just beat you up. It was so annoying the wife basically refused to ride in it
There is a $350 GM upgrade to the Mag Ride computer program that improves the handling a little and improves the ride a lot. On our 2017 Z51 with Mag Ride, after the upgrade Sport actually feels a bit more comfortable than Tour before the upgrade. Some folks don't notice much change, but we absolutely love it.
rplanddeck (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:41 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

2016 z51 with Mag Shocks. I love them.

It all depends on your objective. Generally speaking, what is good for the track is bad for the street, and vice versa. A "dual use" street/track car is a car that is lousy at both.

Two years ago I "retired" from racing... sold the tow vehicle, the trailer, tore the racing equipment out of the car, and am turning it into a street rat.

I wanted a car that I could drive to the track, put in a few hot laps for old time sake, and drive back. I find that for that purpose, the Z51 w/ Mag Shocks is a great compromise. In "Touring" we can cover a 7 hour drive. In "Track", it can hold its own with full blown race cars. It corners flat, but can hit curbs at speed without losing its composure.

Last year, with the mediocre stock MPSS ZP tires, we were turning 2:13 at the Glen, and with no safety equipment, I wasn't pushing hard. Certainly, a full race prep car would be alot faster, but IMHO, the Mag Shocks are a great compromise.
rplanddeck (10-08-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,963 Likes on 5,349 Posts

Bob
The difference isn't just in the shocks and how they affect handling. With the MRC package you also get the eLSD diff which helps put power down better. When you move the selector into the 5 track sub modes you get Performance Traction Management and that combines shock stiffness, with the eLSD and throttle control to make it easier to power off a corner. Take a look at your Owner's Manual where GM says to go to wide open throttle coming off an apex when using PTM. That is insane in a car that doesn't have PTM. Along with selecting shock settings on the fly PTM manages power to the rear wheels so the one with the most grip gets the most power and it also manages the power produced to what the tires can handle. When operating you can hear the exhaust blatting as it controls max engine power. The idea is to use PTM to the max and after three seasons I still haven't gotten to the point that I can follow GM's instructions completely. To give you an idea how effective PTM is GM had Tommy Milner drive a Z06 with all nannies turned off and then using PTM. He had faster lap times using PTM in Sport 2 Mode.

Bill
Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The difference isn't just in the shocks and how they affect handling. With the MRC package you also get the eLSD diff which helps put power down better. When you move the selector into the 5 track sub modes you get Performance Traction Management and that combines shock stiffness, with the eLSD and throttle control to make it easier to power off a corner. Take a look at your Owner's Manual where GM says to go to wide open throttle coming off an apex when using PTM. That is insane in a car that doesn't have PTM. Along with selecting shock settings on the fly PTM manages power to the rear wheels so the one with the most grip gets the most power and it also manages the power produced to what the tires can handle. When operating you can hear the exhaust blatting as it controls max engine power. The idea is to use PTM to the max and after three seasons I still haven't gotten to the point that I can follow GM's instructions completely. To give you an idea how effective PTM is GM had Tommy Milner drive a Z06 with all nannies turned off and then using PTM. He had faster lap times using PTM in Sport 2 Mode.

Bill
eLSD comes with every Z51/Z06/GS, as with all the coolers, regardless of MRC. But for PTM, yes, for Corvettes it comes with MRC cars only, even though it could come without it (e.g. Camaro Z/28 and ZL1 1LE).
Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
There is a $350 GM upgrade to the Mag Ride computer program that improves the handling a little and improves the ride a lot. On our 2017 Z51 with Mag Ride, after the upgrade Sport actually feels a bit more comfortable than Tour before the upgrade. Some folks don't notice much change, but we absolutely love it.
I've read the post around here about it... I actually like the way Tour, Sport and Track ride as is (without the update). Softer in Tour would fine but if I had a choice I wouldn't touch Sport it feels just right to me.

Originally Posted by jcp911s
It all depends on your objective. Generally speaking, what is good for the track is bad for the street, and vice versa. A "dual use" street/track car is a car that is lousy at both.

I wanted a car that I could drive to the track, put in a few hot laps for old time sake, and drive back. I find that for that purpose, the Z51 w/ Mag Shocks is a great compromise. In "Touring" we can cover a 7 hour drive. In "Track", it can hold its own with full blown race cars. It corners flat, but can hit curbs at speed without losing its composure.
That was my take on things as well. Mag ride seems like the ideal solution to the problem: soft ride for daily comfort and flip a switch for a stiff ride while attacking the track. Same goes for the performance exhaust, I like that it can be toned down or opened up. Once I started modifying my previous car to be better on track it became miserable to daily driver. I just don't have the storage space (garage, driveway, trailer, extra unit, etc) to have both a track toy and a daily driver.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:36 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Do all Mag ride cars come with the eLSD rear end? I have a base Stingray with mag ride. I did not think I had it.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,012 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Do all Mag ride cars come with the eLSD rear end? I have a base Stingray with mag ride. I did not think I had it.
No. You'd of had to have bought the Z51/GS/ZO6, to get it.

Get notified of new replies

To Mag shocks vs. non mag on Z51 comparo

Quick Reply: Mag shocks vs. non mag on Z51 comparo