C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Ls3 rocker failure not sure what’s going on....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 05:26 PM
J88L98IROCZ
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Factory Ls3 rocker failure not sure what’s going on....

I’m kinda at a loss here guys ls3 crate long block, btr stage 4 cam, stock heads milled .030, stock head gaskets, ls3 rockers with trunion upgrade by Michigan motor sports, c5r timing chain, Johnson 2116 lifters, mahnton pushrods measured to correct length with added preload, stock intake. Made 506 wheel hp and ran like a beast for about 500 miles and now this rocker snapped and all the intake rockers have an indentation on the tips. Pistons were flycut and had 0.085” of ptvc and I don’t spin the engine over 66-6700.
Help
Old 09-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

FWIW, longer ago than I want to admit I had a 350 that would do the same thing. Between milling the heads, the bigger cam and going from pressed in to screw in studs for the rockers, the valvetrain geometry was all screwed up. Even with longer pushrods the angles were all wrong. I know that you said you have the correct length ones, but that could be your problem.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

in the last pic, the rocker on the left doesn't even look like its squared over the valve tip
Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Holy **** you were about to lose that motor IMO...those valve stems look like they're being pulverized through the keepers. It looks like something in your top-end setup is very, very unhappy. A BTR4 cam is a big cam...not sure whats is causing that, but those heads need to come off for further evaluation. Something in your cam/lifter/pushrod/spring combo isn't working out for you. The rocker arms are just an innocent casualty in a faulty setup.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 09-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:38 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Yeah, somethings not right there. Judging by the fact that the indentation is centered on the pad, it looks like the geometry is probably okay.
What do you mean by pushrods measured to correct length “with added preload”? IIRC, Johnson recommends .035” preload for those lifters? I’m assuming that the trunnions are okay and not binding and they were all installed correctly with the round part sitting in the rocker alignment bracket? I don’t think any of that is the issue though. It takes some serious mechanical interference to snap one of those rockers off like that, IMV.
I would bet that the intake valves are striking the piston and that’s what's causing that problem. I know you said that the pistons were flycut and it had 0.085” PTV clearance, but I would follow the advice already given and pull the heads to check to see that the intake valves aren’t somehow hitting the piston.
Hope you solve it man, sounds like a nice combo you have there otherwise.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

This might explain it...https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ke-before.html
Old 09-18-2018, 01:32 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by old motorhead
No, doesn't explain why the valve stems are being pulverized through the keepers, there's an indentation for a witness mark on the rocker tip, and there's hammer marks on the retainers from the rocker tip making contact with it. If the rockers are in fact Chinese repro's, thank goodness they break before he hammered all his valves into the cylinders.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Well, if they are in fact weak castings due to poor metallurgy, that would actually explain everything: The indentations on the rocker tips would be caused by the inferior/softer metal being worn away by the valve stem due to the heavy pressure of those double springs, and the end of the rocker snapping off would also be an obvious symptom. The damage to the retainer is obviously caused by the sharp edges of the shattered rocker bearing down on the retainer, rather than on the valve stem. The valve stems and locks look undamaged to me.
I had no idea that there was such a things as a Chinese made LS3 rocker. Sucks that you pay for an “upgrade” and get **** quality like that. That’s why folks should only buy parts from reputable vendors like BTR, imho. From my own experience, Tooley is one of the most honest, decent and helpful vendors I’ve ever dealt with. I would strongly advise you to give them a call and get yourself a new set of genuine factory rockers with his trunnions installed and a new retainer to replace the damaged one. Then change your oil and hope that there are no shards of metal left hanging around from that shattered rocker.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:23 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CI GS
Well, if they are in fact weak castings due to poor metallurgy, that would actually explain everything: The indentations on the rocker tips would be caused by the inferior/softer metal being worn away by the valve stem due to the heavy pressure of those double springs, and the end of the rocker snapping off would also be an obvious symptom. The damage to the retainer is obviously caused by the sharp edges of the shattered rocker bearing down on the retainer, rather than on the valve stem.

Fair points.

The valve stems and locks look undamaged to me.
I still feel like those stems are sitting lower in the keepers than they should, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I wouldn't feel confident unless those heads came off and were disassembled.

I had no idea that there was such a things as a Chinese made LS3 rocker. Sucks that you pay for an “upgrade” and get **** quality like that. That’s why folks should only buy parts from reputable vendors like BTR, imho. From my own experience, Tooley is one of the most honest, decent and helpful vendors I’ve ever dealt with. I would strongly advise you to give them a call and get yourself a new set of genuine factory rockers with his trunnions installed and a new retainer to replace the damaged one. Then change your oil and hope that there are no shards of metal left hanging around from that shattered rocker.
Agreed...sucks if that's the case.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 09-18-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

The OP needs to do a WHOLE lot more investigating before tearing the motor down to the short block. Stick a bore o scope in there and look around. Check and recheck. What do the rest of the rockers look like? The one to the left of the broken one doesn't look centered.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Ls3 rocker failure not sure what’s going on....

Quick Reply: Factory Ls3 rocker failure not sure what’s going on....