C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low fuel warning error

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 PM
TC the old vette guy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fuel warning error

I have been having infrequent check gauges warning light with an indicator of low fuel. It comes and goes away for no apparent reason? The fuel gauge drops to empty and the check gauges light appears. It has happened before and after topping off the tank. Any idea what is causing the malfunction? I have a 50th Anniversary convertible with 13,000 miles on the odometer.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,229 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would say your fuel sending unit is malfunctioning. Try running a bottle or two of Techron Concentrate through the gas tank (add it when you fill up the tank) and see if that helps with the problem. You could also just pull the codes off the DIC and see what comes up. Post the codes up here and someone will give you some advice. If you are unsure on how to pull the codes, check out the video contained in the first post of this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html.

And moving this over to C5 Tech.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:21 PM
TC the old vette guy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I would say your fuel sending unit is malfunctioning. Try running a bottle or two of Techron Concentrate through the gas tank (add it when you fill up the tank) and see if that helps with the problem. You could also just pull the codes off the DIC and see what comes up. Post the codes up here and someone will give you some advice. If you are unsure on how to pull the codes, check out the video contained in the first post of this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html.

And moving this over to C5 Tech.
Thank you for your help! I will try the Techron.. I have only had the car for two weeks. I have a friend with an OBD reader I can borrow, too..
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TC the old vette guy
Thank you for your help! I will try the Techron.. I have only had the car for two weeks. I have a friend with an OBD reader I can borrow, too..
An obd reader will not show the the C5 specific codes. You need to use the dic.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 422 Posts

I do not believe that a dirty fuel sending unit will show any codes, because it's simply not sending the proper electrical signal to the gauge due to deposits. Run a couple of tanks with Techron, I have experienced this problem twice in twelve years on my 97, my secret is Cheveron Premium it already has Techron.
The following users liked this post:
TC the old vette guy (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 AM
TC the old vette guy
3rd Gear

Great information! thank you! I am sure there is a way to identify what those codes mean. I will try the Techron and refill the tank with premium no-alcohol gas. Someone recommended Sea Foam, too...
Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 PM
Gesedl
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low fuel

I have had this problem for almost a year now. I had put in numerous bottles of Techron and sea foam without it correcting the issue. I finally figured out since I was using Vette as DD and filling up every 3rd to 4th day that it wasn’t sitting in the fuel system long enough to correct issue. Subsequently I parked Vette for 2 wks and put in two bottles of sea foam and it’s working again. Not sure for how long though. Darn Ethenal gas I fear fouls it up again pretty quickly.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM
C5Rad
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is one of the common codes that will cause your symptom but more importantly, it gives a great description of how the system works. Techron works great and will at least buy time until the offending sensor needs replacing.

http://racetronix.com/Manuals/RX-C5-...erformance.pdf
Old 09-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Darkit
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem with my 98 when I bought it. After a long drive (2+ hours) the fuel gauge would drop and zero out until it sat for a while It got progressively worse, while I was dropping money on techron to "clean it", to the point that anytime the gauge go to 1/2 a tank, it would zero out. So I called it and bought a new fuel pump kit (filter, new pump, and fuel sender). The kit was just because the car had 100k miles on it and I didn't want to have to do the job twice. So I replaced the float and boom haven't had the problem since. If you have an early c5, the job is a piece of cake and I would recommend doing that instead of wasting money. For the anniversary model, I believe it had the new style gas tanks with the filter and pump access on top so it's problem going to be PITA to do it.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:57 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 422 Posts

I stand corrected.

Get notified of new replies

To Low fuel warning error

Quick Reply: Low fuel warning error