Dreaded TC shutter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:20 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Default Dreaded TC shutter

Well, after reading all the posts on the TC poblems with the A8, I thought I was lucky after 3 yrs and 11,000 miles on my 2016 Z51 Convertble. However, last week I got that rumble in my butt and the wild girations of the tach every time the car went into 4cyl mode. I called the LARGEST Chevy dealer in my area and they told me that they had a 2 to 3 week backlog for that problem....I did NOT want to leave my Vert there for 2 or more weeks....Another dealer told me that the protocall was to drain and refill the TC with new fluid with an additive and drive it for 200 miles to see if it corrected the problem...if not, then they would change the TC....I am really DISCUSTED with myself for buying a Corvette KNOWING that they had problems with the TC but hoping it would be someone else....Sorry for the rant.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I have about 300 miles on my 2015 z51 since the trans flush. So far so good. No shutter. Car has 21k on it. Time will tell if it comes back. I just bought the Range AFM disabler and it stays in V8 mode all the time.
The following users liked this post:
Formula52 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:53 PM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

I had mine flushed and filled about a month ago at around 24,100 miles. Since then, I have driven about 400 miles in Eco to maximize V4 time and test the result. So far it has been fine and if anything getting smoother with the miles driven. About time to start using the Range again!

Before the service, the shudder was horrible, occurring every time there was any load on the car in V4 (slight uphill grade but not enough to transition back to V8). I'm not sure how long the condition was present as I have used my Range AFM Disabler most of the time since purchasing it in July 2017 minus the week or so in June when it went back for a firmware update. I only discovered the shudder because I wanted to see what MPGs I could get on a recent 455 mile road trip and ran it in Eco. Turned into a really rough ride and prompted an immediate call to the dealer when I returned. Hope the flush takes care of the problem and I don't need a TC replacement, but so far, so good.

I have high hopes for the flush and fill protocol based on a 40 year old experience. I had a '77 Camaro with positraction that at about the one-year old point, developed a sever jerk and clank when turning at slow speed. I though the diff was about to come undone or at least one of the axles was bad. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a know problem and the positraction diff just needed an additive in the oil. I didn't believe them but let them service the car as they planned. Long story short, it completely cured the problem for as long as I owned that car, about seven more years with no other rear end problems.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Cap, get the flush when you can get the car into the shop. While that's being done order you a Range V4 disabler from https://rangetechnology.com/. I have the Range, and it completely stopped the shudder's in my '17. But, I'm taking it to the dealer for the triple flush anyway......just because I think GM should do something. Hell, they should have had the cars right before they sold them. Good luck.

Here's a thread I just started about my Range while on a road trip.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nterested.html

Here's another that may help.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-butter.html
Old 09-19-2018, 04:06 AM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Well, after reading all the posts on the TC poblems with the A8, I thought I was lucky after 3 yrs and 11,000 miles on my 2016 Z51 Convertble. However, last week I got that rumble in my butt and the wild girations of the tach every time the car went into 4cyl mode. I called the LARGEST Chevy dealer in my area and they told me that they had a 2 to 3 week backlog for that problem....I did NOT want to leave my Vert there for 2 or more weeks....Another dealer told me that the protocall was to drain and refill the TC with new fluid with an additive and drive it for 200 miles to see if it corrected the problem...if not, then they would change the TC....I am really DISCUSTED with myself for buying a Corvette KNOWING that they had problems with the TC but hoping it would be someone else....Sorry for the rant.
My 2017 vert did the same thing, 1st the dealer did a reflash on the transmission, 2nd was the triple flush and put about 2 to 500 miles on it, 3rd was change out the TC now it seems ok except the first start up with the bang it has trying to shift until it warms up. I now have 20k miles on the car. I don't think that I will ever get a comfort level with this car. I even signed up for AAA with 100 mile towing.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd agree w. Jim S. above; it's hard to get a high degree of comfort when it could happen 3 years and 11K miles later. Not dictating but it might be a good idea to get more miles on your car after the flush/drain to see if it happens sooner vs. later in your ownership (Read: : AFTER powertrain warr. runs out on you)

However, OP, it does look like you dodged one bullet: Hurricane Florence. Good move, literally.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

guys. don't worry. they found the problem and addressed it with the new low viscosity fluid. biggest issue are the guys with the old fluid saying "my car is great! no issues here" go in and get the flush don't delay.. gm isn't offering it up because of how many 8 speeds have been built.. had my sierra done last week they did the converter because i waited until 25k miles.. don't. wait.

my Z06 is getting the flush as we speak. why take the chance when a fluid change will avoid the teardown?
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Great info, 16!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:21 AM
gstodd
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't think I am having issues at the moment, but does the flush just need to be done anyway or does the dealership drive the car to assess for shudder?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
guys. don't worry. they found the problem and addressed it with the new low viscosity fluid. biggest issue are the guys with the old fluid saying "my car is great! no issues here" go in and get the flush don't delay.. gm isn't offering it up because of how many 8 speeds have been built.. had my sierra done last week they did the converter because i waited until 25k miles.. don't. wait.

my Z06 is getting the flush as we speak. why take the chance when a fluid change will avoid the teardown?
Did GM pick up the tab if you aren't having problems? Thanks
Old 09-19-2018, 01:39 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

If the only transmission offered was the A8, I might have passed on getting a vette and gone with a Porsche instead. I would not want to drive around worried all the time- did that with a 95 BMW v8 with the nikasil engine issue.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:27 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z

If what you are saying is true then it is a shame that GM doesn't issue a recall to have all the A8 transmissions serviced with the new fluid. The other concern I have with this supposed fix is that the fluid may just mask the issue by reducing the wear and shudder for a longer period of time but nobody knows. Probably just long enough until the powertrain warranty is up...

GM should have just sourced a DCT from Tremec, the same company that makes the M7 transmission instead of building the A8 in house. The A8 paddle shifting is too slow and the A10 that everyone likes in the Zl1 and 2019 SS Camaros won't fit in the C7.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_DCT_0318.pdf
Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619
If what you are saying is true then it is a shame that GM doesn't issue a recall to have all the A8 transmissions serviced with the new fluid. The other concern I have with this supposed fix is that the fluid may just mask the issue by reducing the wear and shudder for a longer period of time but nobody knows. Probably just long enough until the powertrain warranty is up...

GM should have just sourced a DCT from Tremec, the same company that makes the M7 transmission instead of building the A8 in house. The A8 paddle shifting is too slow and the A10 that everyone likes in the Zl1 and 2019 SS Camaros won't fit in the C7.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_DCT_0318.pdf
It is a shame, but sadly it's the way big companies work. GM is gambling that more people will just put up with a sub-par trans until the warranty has expired. If they issue a recall most everyone will show up at their dealer to get the problem checked causing GM to spend more money. It's all in the bean counters play book. The best we can do is get our cars fixed (hopefully), and tell all of our friends that drive an A8.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded TC shutter

Quick Reply: Dreaded TC shutter