Sponsored by:

HUD Display

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 03:41 PM
doublenut9
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
Default HUD Display

I have found a C5 I want, but it has no HUD. How hard is it to install a HUD display in a C5 that has never had one, any idea how much it would cost. Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 04:16 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

As I understand it, you need a new IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster), a HUD unit, and HUD bezel. I don't know the cost but you can do some research for those items. Note: the IPC is where the mileage is stored. Changing it out you will lose the actual mileage unless you find a company to change it.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
As I understand it, you need a new IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster), a HUD unit, and HUD bezel. I don't know the cost but you can do some research for those items. Note: the IPC is where the mileage is stored. Changing it out you will lose the actual mileage unless you find a company to change it.
I thought all years of the C5 had a IPC that was HUD ready, or that’s what I’ve read on the Forum. Was it year dependent?
Old 09-18-2018, 05:04 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 774 Posts

I suggest just look for a Corvette with HUD display.

FYI, the HUD was on my list of 'must haves' when I bought my C5 four years ago. After having it on for a few months I found it to distracting and now no longer use it all. IMHO, it is just another gizmo I do not need (along with A/C/powered windows/power locks/ auto seat/telescoping steering wheel/etc). I long for my '72 4speed with nothing but power steering.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:43 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 184 Posts

Search the forum, there are lots of great threads (with pix) on how to do the HUD conversion.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
I suggest just look for a Corvette with HUD display.

FYI, the HUD was on my list of 'must haves' when I bought my C5 four years ago. After having it on for a few months I found it to distracting and now no longer use it all. IMHO, it is just another gizmo I do not need (along with A/C/powered windows/power locks/ auto seat/telescoping steering wheel/etc). I long for my '72 4speed with nothing but power steering.
I agree. The HUD is the least desirable accessory for me. I would buy the best car for the money, HUD or not.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
I agree. The HUD is the least desirable accessory for me. I would buy the best car for the money, HUD or not.
I use it so much I only look at the actual gauges when i need to see the DIC or coolant temp.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by acuevo

I use it so much I only look at the actual gauges when i need to see the DIC or coolant temp.
Not me. All my other cars don't have it, so I just look at the gauges. I'm kind of old school. Don't care for all the modern gizmos. Just something else to break.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:50 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After awhile you want even notice the HUD
Old 09-18-2018, 10:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The '99 and newer C5s came with the HUD enabled cluster since the '99 was the first year it was offered.

In addition to the above items, you will also need the HUD controller that is located on the left side of the gauge cluster. Parts will cost you less than $1K and if you do the work yourself, it is quite reasonable to convert your car to having a HUD. I use mine all the time and at least for me, would not have a Vette without one anymore. Here are some files that talk about adding a HUD to a car that did not come with one.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
HUD Install.doc (1.73 MB, 77 views)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:28 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Unless things have changed, Vetteman Jack above is way high on the price.
Same here, I can't live without it.

Originally Posted by Road Runner
I thought all years of the C5 had a IPC that was HUD ready, or that’s what I’ve read on the Forum. Was it year dependent?
not true. The change took place somewhere late in the 98 model year but if you have a 98 it's hit or miss.

Originally Posted by doublenut9
I have found a C5 I want, but it has no HUD. How hard is it to install a HUD display in a C5 that has never had one, any idea how much it would cost. Thanks
What year is the car? That's your first question you need to answer.

back years ago you could get a hold of a brand new NOS projector and mounting hardware from GM parts house, Gene Culley. A vendor here. I bought mine from him for around three hundred bucks shipped. Maybe not quite 300. I pulled the dash and installed it myself. It was super easy and the hardest part was making the new cable because the cable to connect to the IPC was not available and still isn't.
My car was a 98, and it had the connector on the IPC for the projector. Unfortunately the firmware in that IPC did not drive the projector correctly, so the mode switch did not work and the modes did not work, it would cycle about every 25 start Cycles to a new mode. And whatever it was in the mood to show you was what you saw. It was rarely what I wanted. I bought a new IPC with extremely close mileage to my actual mileage in the car and I installed that. From that point forward everything was perfect.

my install looked absolutely Flawless like Factory and it was not difficult to get it that way. The dash even on my 98 already had the shape molded into the framework for where the projector was supposed to go. All I needed to do was drill for holes and cut the hole in the dash with a utility knife. Even that was easy, the fiberglass material underneath was very easy to cut and very easy to trim when you cut ever-so-slightly less than what you wanted.

if Gene can't hook you up with a new projector, let me know and I may be itmay be able to find you a used one.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 AM
Dixie Sasquatch
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

it was neat when i first got it, but now i just leave it off. like the fellers say above, I found it to be more of a distraction.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 AM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

i added it to mine. i like having it.

it was probably a 4 hour install. pulling the dash isn't hard and there's a couple how to's on youtube. what WAS hard was figuring out how to drill the 2 holes to mount the hud unit. it's really tight with the windshield. I ended up just running in 2 self tapping bolts with my electric ratchet. I have an 01 so my cluster was HUD enabled. everything was plug and play and i got everything off ebay for like 250 bucks.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I love having the HUD esp. in spirited driving situations. It allows you to keep your eyes up and looking out ahead and still knowing your speed and rpms. It it were me, rather than go through all the conversion hassle, I would just find a car that already has it.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:27 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

Mine came with it. Use it all time, if it did not have it, it would not be a deal breaker at all and would never add one.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

I had a 99 coupe and mine was "HUD-ready" but not installed. I had to buy the HUD unit and controls.
The job is do-able if you have enough skills and instructions to remove the dashboard. Cutting the dash for the HUD is the point-of-no-return. I took pictures to document as I went so I would not forget how to re-assemble. Check out the instructions on the forum and in the previous post to see if you feel comfortable going through the steps.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To HUD Display

Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 PM
larney
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Didn't really care if it had it or not. BUT since it came with it I like it.
The first couple days I drove with it off. The I decided to turn it on
and give it a try. Wouldn't say I can't live without it but I do like it.
Modern "gizmo's" don't break anymore that older"gizmo's". Sometimes
no, most times less.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:55 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts

I like mine in my 03 vert. It's kind of hard seeing it in the bright daylight but you will get used to it.
I don't believe I would go to the expense of adding one.
Do what you want!
Good luck!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:29 AM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,004 Likes on 639 Posts

As with all '01 Z06s, mine didn't come with HUD. But I retrofitted it in a month ago. As mentioned above, hardest part for me was getting the dash holes drilled. I also used the self-tapping screw method, except I lack an electric ratchet so I did it with my fingers...

Managed to get the dash cut out perfectly, and trimmed the posts on the HUD plastic dash trim so I could secure it with screws to the dash.

Prior to install I was [mistakenly] under the impression it would give a readout on oil temp, so I was a little disappointed to learn it doesn't. But still it's nice to have speed readout on the highway.

Lastly: my polarized sunglasses make the HUD very difficult to see especially when the road's asphalt color has faded.

Quick Reply: HUD Display