C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have problems with the coils?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Anyone have problems with the coils?

I am misfiring again after a track day. Last time it was cylinder 2 coil. Assuming it's going to be the same problem but I haven't got an engine code stating a specific cylinder yet. Anyone else have problems with the stock coils ?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:55 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Are you positive it is the coil? I have had issues with a variety of wires, from stock to Accel ceramic boot wires. If you have HP Tuners, datalog the misfire and swap plug wires. Mine only did it hot in an on track condition but when it did it, it became very noticeable. Swapping wires caused the misfire to change cylinders, so it was an easy fix.

Last edited by fleming23; 09-19-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fleming23
Are you positive it is the coil? I have had issues with a variety of wires, from stock to Accel ceramic boot wires. If you have HP Tuners, datalog the misfire and swap plug wires. Mine only did it hot in an on track condition but when it did it, it became very noticeable. Swapping wires caused the misfire to change cylinders, so it was an easy fix.
interesting. Well when I first had this I replaced the coil and the issue went away. I was misfiring at normal engine temp in 3rd gear pulls, 4k to 6k rpm. Every time. Let me double check but I'm 90% sure I changed the wire first on that cylinder and didn't work.

what kind of wires did you go with?

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-19-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
interesting. Well when I first had this I replaced the coil and the issue went away. I was misfiring at normal engine temp in 3rd gear pulls, 4k to 6k rpm. Every time. Let me double check but I'm 90% sure I changed the wire first on that cylinder and didn't work.

what kind of wires did you go with?
Per the recommendation of my tuner and engine builder, I went back with stock wires and the metal insulator boots with ZR1 plugs. Although, one of my stock plug wires went bad initially, which is what sent me down the aftermarket plug wire road in the first place.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:59 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Per the recommendation of my tuner and engine builder, I went back with stock wires and the metal insulator boots with ZR1 plugs. Although, one of my stock plug wires went bad initially, which is what sent me down the aftermarket plug wire road in the first place.
okay I was incorrect. I replaced both coil and wire at the same time. Hmmm I believe I did that because I was short on time for my next event.

I ordered a set of stock wires and a set of lava insulating covers. Interesting that even stock headers are killing them.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:12 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
okay I was incorrect. I replaced both coil and wire at the same time. Hmmm I believe I did that because I was short on time for my next event.

I ordered a set of stock wires and a set of lava insulating covers. Interesting that even stock headers are killing them.
If you experience the issue again, please update this thread. It has happened to me twice now, with two different sets of plug wires, both sets with those woven heat jackets. I assumed it was just a fluke on my car, or maybe I tugged on the wire too hard when removing, etc.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

If you experience the issue again, please update this thread. It has happened to me twice now, with two different sets of plug wires, both sets with those woven heat jackets. I assumed it was just a fluke on my car, or maybe I tugged on the wire too hard when removing, etc.
Try a set of Magnecore wires.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Any time I've had coil problems on anything, even one of the B'ville racers, it was a name-brand aftermarket coil, never an OEM. In fact, I gave up on a very high-performance street car and ended all my ongoing, intermittent ignition problems when I pitched the high-dollar, hipo coil and installed a stock one from a local dealership. Can, you get a wonky stock coil... sure just like anything else, but if you are having repeats on the same cylinder I'd be suspicious. Best of luck with it, in any event.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Changed wires. Added heat sleeves. Did a lot of testing. No issues!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have problems with the coils?

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems with the coils?