C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:06 AM
Jetglow
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Weird Serious Wiring Question/Situation

What is this relay looking thing with Brown wiring running to it? The Plug with the arrow pointing to it also has a brown wire to it and it is not plugged in.
I have been blowing the Backup/turn signal fuse and I’m wondering if this has something to do with it. As you can see...this is on the drivers side near the fuse box. I did not notice this before I had the Brake Booster Replaced... and I had the whole dash out once. Wondering if something got screwed up under there when th booster was installed

Last edited by Jetglow; 09-19-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Jetglow
Racer

The backup/turn signal fuse is a 25A fuse.... that’s a pretty big fuse... I can’t figure it out...
it doesn’t happen immediately..... I can replace the fuse and use everything perfectly..... then out of the blue it will blow for no reason. The other day it happened after I had driven it for an hour exactly when the passenger belt buckle was plugged in.... the problem is that I did not connect the belt wiring so that can’t be it.... I tried to replicate it today after I put a new fuse and can’t get it to blow a fuse... I tried everything... every button dial... ect... put it in every mode possible and plugged in the belts.... never blew

Could it be a a heat related issue? I can’t imagine what would cause a sporadic burst of electricity to blow the same 25 amp fuse randomly....

It does only seem seem to happen when I have a passenger .... never when I’m alone In the car....

1975 Corvette by the way....

Last edited by Jetglow; 09-19-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:39 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The fuse is likely blowing because a wire shorts to the chassis or to ground.

Look for a wire around the console or passenger footwell that gets shorted when the passenger in is the car. A wire being leaned on or pushed by a foot or behind the seat back or the like that gets pushed against steel.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Passenger seat buzzes to tell the occupant to put on their seat belt? Maybe you need to hook it up?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'd look at the shifter first-

You have neutral safety switch and reverse light switch there- if you look the contacts on the switch they are not protected.

The passenger could easily flex the console and short or maybe some change could have dropped in there...That'd be my guess.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:54 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It looks to me like the headlamp warning buzzer which would have nothing to do with your issue. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=&s=buzzer

I've not traced the circuit on this fuse but if I get some free time tomorrow I'll take a look at it... or better yet, here is a link to a trace schematic and you can trace every wire associated with that fuse. Click on the link below, then click again to enlarge it. Once you do that right click, select copy, then open your paint program and paste it in there. Save it to your desktop and then you can trace any wire you need and save it as a different file. Hope this makes sense.... Or lastly, you could bring it by the shop since your in Louisville but I'd have to schedule you in. We have two cars finished and a full house but once these two cars are gone I can get you in.

Willcox

Old 09-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Jetglow
Racer

That rocks! Thank you!

Get notified of new replies

To Serious Wiring Question

Quick Reply: Serious Wiring Question