Sponsored by:

One Week and 260 Miles With My New 2019 GS M7 2LT

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:07 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Default One Week and 260 Miles With My New 2019 GS M7 2LT

I'm one week into ownership on my new 2019 GS M7 2LT. I've had two Corvettes in the past...a 2010 Coupe, and a 2012 GS. This car is a quantum leap ahead of them...no comparison!

Some early impressions:

1) Washing the car takes a lot longer than a C6. The body just seems bigger, and all the vents, nooks and crannies take a lot longer to dry with a chamois. First world problem.
2) Love the rear camera. It's well-needed. Also love the front cameras, but a bit clumsy to hit the icon on the infotainment screen everytime I park.
3) Rear and quarter visibility is significantly diminished over the C6. I attribute it to the lack of wrap-around rear glass.
4) Electronically-closing hatch was also well-needed.
5) Road noise is much greater than the C6, but I don't care. It's not a luxury car.
6) Still get a ton of thumbs up when driving, just as I did in the C6.
7) I have the standard seats. they are much tighter than the C6. I'm 6 feet tall, 220 lbs. They are comfortable, and not too tight, but tighter than the C6.
8) Overall feel of cabin size...seems smaller than C6.
9) The nose of the car (specifically the chin spoiler/splitter) seems higher off the ground than my C6 GS. I have the standard 'poverty splitter' on my 2019. It doesn't scrape nearly as bad on driveway entry/exit. Much appreciated.
10) My previous Vettes were red. I got black this time. It looks awesome for 5 minutes after a wash, but shows everything after that. Just a headache of dealing with a black car in general, and I knew what I was getting into.
11) Center console storage (armrest), while still a pittance, is slightly deeper than the C6.

I've replaced the brake pads, added CAGS eliminator, added Stage 3 wickers, and got the windows tinted...haven't even cracked the owner's manual yet. Maybe this weekend. But all in all, a fantastic car. No paint issues, had the removable top rattle issue to resolve, but did that by tightening the J-hook two turns and tightening the clips that hold the plastic cover over the J-hook, but other than that, no issues so far.

Will report back after a few thousand miles.

Greg
The following 4 users liked this post by gbranham:
djnice (09-19-2018), joemessman (09-19-2018), Mike Campbell (09-21-2018), Slynky (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM
BenDiem
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gbranham
I'm one week into ownership on my new 2019 GS M7 2LT. I've had two Corvettes in the past...a 2010 Coupe, and a 2012 GS. This car is a quantum leap ahead of them...no comparison!

I've replaced the brake pads, added CAGS eliminator, had the removable top rattle issue to resolve, but did that by tightening the J-hook two turns and tightening the clips that hold the plastic cover over the J-hook, but other than that, no issues so far.

^^^ Thanks for the feedback. I'm coming from a C6 to C7 as well. How much does it cost to replace brake pads/labor costs? Did you install the CAGS yourself? Easy install?

Lastly, I'm a bit surprised to read that a new 2019 still has rattle issues with the removeable top! At least now I know what to expect when I order/purchase my new C7...

Cheers/Enjoy your new C7,

B

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-19-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
Old 09-19-2018, 02:28 PM
gbranham
Racer

Brake pads were the same price (essentially) as the C6. I bought PowerStop Z26 on Amazon for $160 shipped for all four corners. Easy swap...do it yourself. It literally takes longer to jack up the car and remove a wheel, than it does to swap the pads. The process is well-documented here on the forum.

For the roof rattle, I removed the plastic cover over the J-hook, and did as others have suggested, and expanded the metal clips. As an added precaution, I also stuffed a bunch of bubble wrap inside the cover, just to keep it solid. Some may think that's crazy, but you can't see it, and it 100% eliminated the rattle. I see you're in the midwest...if you're within reasonable driving distance of KC, I'll help you do the brake pad swap!

CAGS eliminator is also very simple. I just jacked up the back of the car, threw some jack stands under it for safety, and shimmied under the transaxle. The plug is up high, but easily reachable. You just unplug the wire harness, shove in the CAGS plug, and shove the terminator on the end of the dangling wire harness. Secure with provided zip tie, and done. Takes two minutes.

Greg

Last edited by gbranham; 09-19-2018 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BenDiem (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:05 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Some early impressions:

1) Washing the car takes a lot longer than a C6. The body just seems bigger, and all the vents, nooks and crannies take a lot longer to dry with a chamois. First world problem.
2) Love the rear camera. It's well-needed. Also love the front cameras, but a bit clumsy to hit the icon on the infotainment screen everytime I park.
3) Rear and quarter visibility is significantly diminished over the C6. I attribute it to the lack of wrap-around rear glass.
4) Electronically-closing hatch was also well-needed.
5) Road noise is much greater than the C6, but I don't care. It's not a luxury car.
6) Still get a ton of thumbs up when driving, just as I did in the C6.
7) I have the standard seats. they are much tighter than the C6. I'm 6 feet tall, 220 lbs. They are comfortable, and not too tight, but tighter than the C6.
8) Overall feel of cabin size...seems smaller than C6.
9) The nose of the car (specifically the chin spoiler/splitter) seems higher off the ground than my C6 GS. I have the standard 'poverty splitter' on my 2019. It doesn't scrape nearly as bad on driveway entry/exit. Much appreciated.
10) My previous Vettes were red. I got black this time. It looks awesome for 5 minutes after a wash, but shows everything after that. Just a headache of dealing with a black car in general, and I knew what I was getting into.
11) Center console storage (armrest), while still a pittance, is slightly deeper than the C6.

I've replaced the brake pads, added CAGS eliminator, added Stage 3 wickers, and got the windows tinted...haven't even cracked the owner's manual yet. Maybe this weekend. But all in all, a fantastic car. No paint issues, had the removable top rattle issue to resolve, but did that by tightening the J-hook two turns and tightening the clips that hold the plastic cover over the J-hook, but other than that, no issues so far.

Will report back after a few thousand miles.

Greg
Did you replace the pads only because of the excess brake dust?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM
gbranham
Racer

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Did you replace the pads only because of the excess brake dust?
Yep.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:09 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I found the opposite, my C7 is quieter than my C6 was, but I came from a base model C6 to a base model C7. Perhaps your GS with it's bigger tires is louder, and I'm assuming you came from a narrow body C6?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:16 PM
gbranham
Racer

Originally Posted by Patman
I found the opposite, my C7 is quieter than my C6 was, but I came from a base model C6 to a base model C7. Perhaps your GS with it's bigger tires is louder, and I'm assuming you came from a narrow body C6?
My last Corvette was a 2012 GS. BUT, I had it for four years, and burned through the stock run-flats in the first year, and went with a Nitto Invo after that for three years. Perhaps it was just quieter without the run-flats, and I've forgotten the noise level of the C6 GS with run-flats.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Cleaning the car won't take so long once you figure it out. I wash and wax my car panel by panel, and it takes me about an hour to do the whole thing.

I think it takes just as long to clean the wheels as it does the rest of the car. (I still have the dusty Brembo pads)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Some early impressions:

Have you thought about using a leaf blower to remove most of the water after washing? Makes it much easier/faster to dry.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:26 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346
Cleaning the car won't take so long once you figure it out. I wash and wax my car panel by panel, and it takes me about an hour to do the whole thing.

I think it takes just as long to clean the wheels as it does the rest of the car. (I still have the dusty Brembo pads)
Very true. One develops a routine. Also one finds different towels for getting in cracks, and towels for the panels. Living in AZ I don't have to wash my car, so I spend time giving it a rub down and detail every day. Real easy keeping those wheels clean around here. I pretty much had to give up on the wheels when I lived in Portland with the wetness all the time. Takes me about 40 minutes.

Last edited by joemessman; 09-19-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:41 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Get a good quality clear bra on the car (I prefer Xpel Ultimate) before you regret you didn't
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Quote “Have you thought about using a leaf blower to remove most of the water after washing? Makes it much easier/faster to dry.”

This makes it so much easier. Side vents and especially the tail lights will drip if you don’t use a blower.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

(2) Love the rear camera. It's well-needed. Also love the front cameras, but a bit clumsy to hit the icon on the infotainment screen everytime I park.
Put it in reverse, then 1st and it will pop up.

(4) Electronically-closing hatch was also well-needed.
Those who appreciate this the most are previous owners of 2014-15 C7s without this feature.

To reduce washing intervals, buy a set of Powerstop Z26 brake pads which emit far less dust. There are a number of threads on this topic. To aid in washing wheel barrels I fabricated a long handle to an old kitchen glass washer, basically a ball of cloth strips, which makes the jobs easier.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick

Those who appreciate this the most are previous owners of 2014-15 C7s without this feature.

To reduce washing intervals, buy a set of Powerstop Z26 brake pads which emit far less dust. There are a number of threads on this topic. To aid in washing wheel barrels I fabricated a long handle to an old kitchen glass washer, basically a ball of cloth strips, which makes the jobs easier.
I got a brush like this to speed up the process and get in between the nooks and crannies.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Thanks, I never knew that. However, that seems simply illogical. I've never pulled into my garage and, while hitting the camera icon on the touch screen, thought, wouldn't it be easier to put the car in the opposite direction and then back and resume moving forward....Oh, GM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 PM
gbranham
Racer

Yep... Along with stage 3 Wickers, window tint, and CAGS eliminator, Powerstop pads went in before I hit 150 miles. I remember the dust from my 2012 GS!
Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Electronically closing rear hatch?? Someone please tell me about that...

The following users liked this post:
trumanjd1 (09-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To One Week and 260 Miles With My New 2019 GS M7 2LT

Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 AM
gbranham
Racer

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Electronically closing rear hatch?? Someone please tell me about that...

GM has had it for probably 30 years, and why they are just now putting it on Corvettes is beyond me. You simply lower the hatch down to just resting on the latch, but not closed. Then, a gentle push down engages a motor that draws the deck lid down tight. No more slamming it.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 AM
late sleeper
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

GM has had it for probably 30 years, and why they are just now putting it on Corvettes is beyond me. You simply lower the hatch down to just resting on the latch, but not closed. Then, a gentle push down engages a motor that draws the deck lid down tight. No more slamming it.
My '05 Corvette had this feature.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

C6 was the first Corvette for this.

Quick Reply: One Week and 260 Miles With My New 2019 GS M7 2LT