C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Compression test cranking pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Compression test cranking pressure

I’ve got the new engine mostly broken in and the cranking pressure is higher than expected. So I’m curious what others with modified Gen I smallblocks are seeing. My calculated static CR is 10.9:1 and my dynamic CR is 8.6:1. I was expecting to see about 185-190 lbs of cranking pressure, but I’m seeing up 210 lbs of pressure.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
I’ve got the new engine mostly broken in and the cranking pressure is higher than expected. So I’m curious what others with modified Gen I smallblocks are seeing. My calculated static CR is 10.9:1 and my dynamic CR is 8.6:1. I was expecting to see about 185-190 lbs of cranking pressure, but I’m seeing up 210 lbs of pressure.
You probably have a shorter duration camshaft with a wide lobe separation angle which will create more cylinder pressure. Do you know what camshaft you have? The cam is the key to your answer.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
You probably have a shorter duration camshaft with a wide lobe separation angle which will create more cylinder pressure. Do you know what camshaft you have? The cam is the key to your answer.
I used the cam specs to calculate pressures prior to buying the cam. All engine specs were confirmed during engine assembly. The cam was degreed during installation. And even things like barometric pressure were taken into account with calculations and during testing.

Last edited by Drothgeb; 09-20-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 138 Posts

Bet your starter hates you!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Pretty much what he said......cam and where it's installed as far as intake lobe centerline will make the difference. Shorter duration will typically increase pressure. The wider LSA typically retards intake lobe so it will reduce pressure somewhat....but that's all dependent on the actual cam lobes and ICL. You can advance any cam enough to increase pressure.

JIM

Old 09-20-2018, 10:05 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Just wondering if your static CR calculations took into account the piston deck height, actual combustion chamber volume and actual compressed head gasket thickness. Asking because the (NOM) 427 in my '65 ued stock L-72 pistons, stock L-72 cam, but had oval port heads, 0.018 steel shim head gaskets and I never checked the piston deck height. A stock L-72 should show about 150 psi cranking pressure. Mine had 240 all around.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Originally Posted by Texan79423
Bet your starter hates you!
Ya know, it cranks fine at 15 degrees initial timing. But I’ll bet that changes if it gets hot.

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Pretty much what he said......cam and where it's installed as far as intake lobe centerline will make the difference. Shorter duration will typically increase pressure. The wider LSA typically retards intake lobe so it will reduce pressure somewhat....but that's all dependent on the actual cam lobes and ICL. You can advance any cam enough to increase pressure.

JIM
Cam was degreed during installation.

Originally Posted by Avispa
Just wondering if your static CR calculations took into account the piston deck height, actual combustion chamber volume and actual compressed head gasket thickness. Asking because the (NOM) 427 in my '65 ued stock L-72 pistons, stock L-72 cam, but had oval port heads, 0.018 steel shim head gaskets and I never checked the piston deck height. A stock L-72 should show about 150 psi cranking pressure. Mine had 240 all around.
Yes everything was accounted for. I even CC’d the heads and pistons to confirm combustion chamber size during assembly. To illustrate how **** I am, I even installed and removed one head gasket to confirm it’s compressed thickness.

Specs are 60cc Trick Flow Heads, 7cc .060” Wiseco pistons, .000” deck height, .039” head gasket, 6” rods, 3.48” crank, Howard’s 110885 cam IVC @64.5 degrees ATDC.

I designed the engine to be right on the edge of using pump gas at 36 degrees total timing. So far there’s no pinging or knocking. I’m just surprised how high the cranking pressure is.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Cranking compression pressure is a function of SCR, the point where the inlet valve closes, and cranking RPM. The later the IVC and slower the cranking RPM the greater the reversion and lower the pressure reading.

You can't rely on DCR to compute cranking pressure. That's because there is no common definition of IVC, so different calculators yield different results.

As long as the readings across all cylinders don't vary by much, the engine is healthy.

Duke
Old 09-20-2018, 03:44 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

As long as it runs well, doesn't ping and starts ok, why worry about it? Its gonna be a torquey little sucker for sure. I bet its super crisp and responsive.

FWIW, my 496 cranks 210-215 psi and has for 24k miles, I've had no problems running it on pump gas as long as I keep the timing around 33* total and limit the vacuum advance to 4.5*.
The following users liked this post:
Drothgeb (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:19 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Remember to check the atmospheric pressure for the day. Standard is 29.92” of mercury. Then adjust as needed for your calculation.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Might have been a unique experience on my part and maybe I did something wrong in running the test but back in the 90's I ran two series of compression checks on my 427 several weeks apart and the results came out in entirely different ranges - one set was well over 200 psi and the other was in the 180 psi range I think. Otherwise the cylinders were all reasonably close together. I just struck it up to the engine was slightly different temp, air density a bit different, battery strength a bit off on one - I don't know. Maybe I adjusted the timing a little between tests. I do know they were run with the carb wired open and the engine spun over until the gage stabilized. Just saying you might run another series of tests and get results in a different range.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

The tired 383 stroker in my '61 has 195 psi in every hole, along with 30% leakdown. Runs like a scalded cat and doesn't ping. I'm sure the PSI will be above 200 after I freshen it up. No worries. Sure has crisp throttle response!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:48 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I don't think the compression results of my "target" crate motor 350 could possibly be of help with yours but with stock dish pistons, 67cc heads, 272*/110lsa cam pressure was about 180psi I think but have since lost those results. But it is what it is. You claim you measured and calculated everything correctly but results where about 10% off expected. So I don't know what you want us to explain? None of us where there when you measured everything nor do we know what you measured with. What can we help you with here? Or do we just embarrass ourselves trying to explain the in-explainable?
I like to blab about engine builds as much as anyone here. Just that many threads like these are something only a palm reader could help with.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:08 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Cam was degreed during installation.
So what cam is in it? Specs? ICL? LSA?

JIM
Old 09-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Originally Posted by cardo0
I don't think the compression results of my "target" crate motor 350 could possibly be of help with yours but with stock dish pistons, 67cc heads, 272*/110lsa cam pressure was about 180psi I think but have since lost those results. But it is what it is. You claim you measured and calculated everything correctly but results where about 10% off expected. So I don't know what you want us to explain? None of us where there when you measured everything nor do we know what you measured with. What can we help you with here? Or do we just embarrass ourselves trying to explain the in-explainable?
I like to blab about engine builds as much as anyone here. Just that many threads like these are something only a palm reader could help with.
Designing a build for a DCR of 8.5 - 8.6:1 with aluminum heads is pretty typical. I was just curious what others are seeing as a cranking pressure with other similar builds. And yes, I already know that the DCR is not the only determining factor in cylinder pressure, but it is a big part of it.

Not really looking for an explanation, help figuring it out or, for you to blab about your build. Just looking for some comparisons with real data. I was hoping to hear like.... I built for a DCR of 8.xx and ended up with 190psi, or 180, or 200. Other useful info would be the timing you’ve run at xxx amount of cylinder pressure.

Your comments on having 180psi would have been helpful, but without knowing your actual piston dish size, specs on your cam and etc, I can’t do any useful calculations. That’s why I just mentioned DCR, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. Do you happen to know your DCR?

I keep notebooks on all of my builds. I keep track of calculations, specs and, expected and actual results. It’s not as important with this particular build. But I also build with multiple stages of turbos and sometimes multiple stages of intercooling. With those builds, calculations are a big part of deciding which turbos and how much intercooling use with with a particular pump output and injector. I know all the calculating and measuring is a bit much for some of you, but it’s how I do it. And, I have 3 more engines to build over the winter. Any useful data from this build, or, from any of you, will help with those builds

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
So what cam is in it? Specs? ICL? LSA?

JIM
As I mentioned, it’s a Howard’s 110885. Cam specs are 278/278 (225/225@.050”), 110 LSA, 106 CL. Actual measured IVC measured while degreeing the cam was 64.5 degrees. The other engine specs are also back in post #7.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:49 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Designing a build for a DCR of 8.5 - 8.6:1 with aluminum heads is pretty typical. I was just curious what others are seeing as a cranking pressure with other similar builds. And yes, I already know that the DCR is not the only determining factor in cylinder pressure, but it is a big part of it.

Not really looking for an explanation, help figuring it out or, for you to blab about your build. Just looking for some comparisons with real data. I was hoping to hear like.... I built for a DCR of 8.xx and ended up with 190psi, or 180, or 200. Other useful info would be the timing you’ve run at xxx amount of cylinder pressure.

Your comments on having 180psi would have been helpful, but without knowing your actual piston dish size, specs on your cam and etc, I can’t do any useful calculations. That’s why I just mentioned DCR, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. Do you happen to know your DCR?

I keep notebooks on all of my builds. I keep track of calculations, specs and, expected and actual results. It’s not as important with this particular build. But I also build with multiple stages of turbos and sometimes multiple stages of intercooling. With those builds, calculations are a big part of deciding which turbos and how much intercooling use with with a particular pump output and injector. I know all the calculating and measuring is a bit much for some of you, but it’s how I do it. And, I have 3 more engines to build over the winter. Any useful data from this build, or, from any of you, will help with those builds

As I mentioned, it’s a Howard’s 110885. Cam specs are 278/278 (225/225@.050”), 110 LSA, 106 CL. Actual measured IVC measured while degreeing the cam was 64.5 degrees. The other engine specs are also back in post #7.
I'm out. Wearing your achievements on your sleeve now and we still don't even the stroke or displacement can't be much of a call for help. It is what it is and I read its denial here. Everything thing was measured and calcuated right but still something is wrong. And an invitation to compare with a build of unknown stroke & displacement is hardly realistic but more of an invitation to seek some sort of confession from others.

BTW I never did find a "correct" part number for the pistons of my 350 "target" motor. And attempts to measure the piston volumes with the block in the car failed. But the results using a 0.015" steel shim gasket was more than satisfactory. So that's my eblaboration and I will wear that on my sleeve for an achievement.

I'm out of this train wreck. .
Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

357 LT-1 cam, measured compression ratio 10.4-1, 180 psi all cylinders. You can calculate the DCR🤓
Old 09-22-2018, 08:53 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

SCR calculated from measured values
Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

First...I'll give my take on DCR for others that might be following. Yes..it is absolutely a real thing.....and something all engines are built to achieve...sorta of. As Duke mentioned...there are several calculators out there giving varying results. But the true amount of cylinder fill is a wildly variable thing and if you have a very efficient induction tract...it's going to get real full real fast...as opposed to something not so great. Combos with high calculated SCR and DCR and operating on less octane than you would expect...are telling you things aren't quite as efficient as you would expect...or tune is compensating. I never bother to calculate DCR because I can make a 13 to 1 motor show well on it and indicate pump gas with cam juggling...but I know it will be a LOT different when my foot is on the floor and the good heads start filling the cylinders. Best comparison is to think of the old Busch NASCAR engines. 9.0 compression, incredible heads, smaller cams....and you better have really good fuel in it because once it was rolling it made incredible cylinder pressure with the great intake tract. Even with a tiny carb.

Look back at the old cams sold in the 70's/80's to reduce cylinder pressure on the bad boy engines to run on pump gas.

I'll say of you have 210 PSI and it's able to take full timing....then it should be nice and crisp. A 225* cam in at 106 ICL isn't that big even in a 360 so that's contributing to increased pressure.

I'm out also. Too much arrogance.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Compression test cranking pressure

Quick Reply: Compression test cranking pressure