C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 - 28lb to 30lb injectors without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 AM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C5 Z06 - 28lb to 30lb injectors without tune?

If I go from the factory 28lb injectors to Bosch 30lb injectors, will I need to tune or will the PCM automagically adjust pulse/flow based on AFR readings from the O2 sensors?

Here is what I was thinking of ordering and installing - https://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-UPGRADED...AAAOSwFmRbiaA3

Backstory below for more info -

I've been trying to chase down a strange miss/stumble for the last few months, including having it to two separate race/tuning shops who also couldn't figure it out. Compression checks out good, it happens both under closed and open loop, I've also already replaced plugs / wires / coils. Fuel pump was replaced recently when the sender died and I decided to do everything while the tank was out. Took the valve covers off to make sure I don't have a cracked or broken valve spring but everything looks good. The intake manifold gaskets were also replaced not too long ago. I'm going to triple check for vacuum leaks this weekend but like everything else feel like that's a long shot.

Only mods are Calloway honker intake, long tubes / cats / xpipe and custom tune. Car makes 383 to the wheels which is well within range of the stock injectors, but we've struggled with getting enough fuel in the past and the car seems to be running on the lean side lately.

Since I'm still running the original injectors I figure that's the next step, finding a good reasonably priced set of used OE injectors has been a bit of a pain so I'm figuring go aftermarket or slightly larger OE injectors.

Last edited by jbauch357; 09-20-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, need tune
Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Absolutely need a tune, different scale needed
Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Those may run fine. But GM uses numerous parameters to describe the injector parameters in the tune and if these injectors don’t match up real well you may have issues.
The narrow band O2’s will correct the fueling at part throttle. But not at wide open where it will be a little rich.

There are injector cleaning services available. Have you looked into that for your stock ones?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:39 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Thanks everybody, I won't change from the OE injectors.

Also I did have my stock set ultrasonic cleaned and flow tested about 10k miles / 3 years ago, one of them was stuck wide open after that and had to be replaced but the rest of them checked out. Car ran great soon as I replaced the bad one.

The issue I'm having now just came up out of nowhere. The car was running great all weekend, I parked it for a couple hours at home then went to go run some errands and it ran terrible soon as I fired it up - that was 4 months ago.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by jbauch357
Thanks everybody, I won't change from the OE injectors.

Also I did have my stock set ultrasonic cleaned and flow tested about 10k miles / 3 years ago, one of them was stuck wide open after that and had to be replaced but the rest of them checked out. Car ran great soon as I replaced the bad one.

The issue I'm having now just came up out of nowhere. The car was running great all weekend, I parked it for a couple hours at home then went to go run some errands and it ran terrible soon as I fired it up - that was 4 months ago.
Bad gas (happens...)? Have you run through a tank since this started?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by grantv
Bad gas (happens...)? Have you run through a tank since this started?
Yeah, I was at a quarter tank when it started, topped it off and no change. If anything it's getting worse over time.

I haven't driven it enough to even go through a tank since that top off 4 months ago, partially because it sucks to drive and partially because I'm afraid something major is wrong that more driving will just make worse. At this point I'm not making any progress so might as well drive it until something breaks, or the tank is completely dry and I can get a full fresh tank of gas.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WHAT is the fuel pressure at idle "AND" when the engine is under load. If you have an issue that causes the pressure to drop off under load, that would cause a lean condition.

Check the pressure when the engine is cruising and WOT.

Bill
Old 09-20-2018, 04:18 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
WHAT is the fuel pressure at idle "AND" when the engine is under load. If you have an issue that causes the pressure to drop off under load, that would cause a lean condition.

Check the pressure when the engine is cruising and WOT.

Bill
I'll hook up my fuel pressure gauge and do a manual check this weekend, both at idle and under load.

That said when the issue started, it would only really happen under load from about 3K RPM up... below 3K RPM or not under a load and you couldn't hear/feel it.

Lately it's been getting progressively worse. Now I can feel it even under neutral throttle and it's starting to happen around 2K RPM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 - 28lb to 30lb injectors without tune?

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 - 28lb to 30lb injectors without tune?