Sponsored by:

Sight unseen

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Azvette621
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sight unseen

Has anyone purchased from an online dealer without seeing the car in person?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, people have done that. There have been threads in the past where a buyer purchased a car without having seen it. Are you considering such a purchase?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 09-21-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Azvette621
Instructor

I was just curious about certain dealers...buyavette specifically
Old 09-20-2018, 11:48 AM
mbp
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Azvette621
Has anyone purchased from an online dealer without seeing the car in person?
NO, I haven't. I know I would be nervous about the condition of the car. Pictures and descriptions can be deceiving and pictures of any trouble areas just aren't included. Also what one person thinks is "good "shape may be different from what you consider "good ". Seeing is believing. Just my opinion, I may be a little leery of someone trying to get my money.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

The only car I'd be willing to buy sight unseen from a dealer is one I custom ordered new from the manufacturer. Why pay the 50 to 100% dealer markup fee? You would be better off buying blind off of Craigslist or eBay. Or buying lottery tickets.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I bought an 82 from a former forum member sight unseen. Never again. Pictures can be deceiving. I would buy and have bought brand new sight unseen. Two were ordered and one was from inventory.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:49 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Have a friend who bought a C2 from Buyavette and was very pleased. He bought sight unseen. That can be risky though. He talked to some guy there named John that he said was spot on with the car's condition. I would check in person or have an inspection done if possible however.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Yes. I purchased this 1962 resto-mod from Mershons sight unseen. But they personally delivered it to me and they offered a no questions asked 100% money-back guarantee if it wasn't exactly as described.

They said if it wasn't exactly what they described and what I was expecting, to put it right back in the trailer.

The car was even better than I expected. Needless to say, I kept it.

I've done business with them in the past though, so I have a great level of comfort with them.

Last edited by Tonio; 09-20-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Azvette621
Instructor

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer a question that I've noticed has a thread already. Still looking to pull the trigger on a purchase. Need to see more but might wait until I relocate to Arizona. Less rust I hope.
Still trying to figure out if I want a 1980 or 1993 anniversary edition

Last edited by Azvette621; 09-20-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Ive bought several cars sight unseen so to speak, never gotten what i would call burnt but not one was 100% as expected,

"As expected" what a buyer thinks hes getting from pictures and description can vary a lot from what is being offered and arrives even from a sincere seller meaning well,
And real world alert, not all sellers mean well.

Smaller example, guy offers me great condition good to go st10 trans, says hes a trans expert.
What i get is a rusty core that hobbyists and transmission experts all agreed was at best a core, needing rebuilding with unknown condition until gone through
Of course when im not happy the seller blames me, typical.
Times that by a full car and yikes, the hit could be bad, moneywise and heart breaking.

So now i would never buy sight unseen again especially a full car with a few exceptions,

Like the post with the stunning eariler model bought from a high end dealer, while im guessing this was a top dollar price the end result speaks for itself, this time is was a got what he paid for.

There are a few select members on this forum i would buy from or take their word if they personally inspected the car for me.

Lastly, the kind of stuff im into doesnt pop up daily and isnt mainstream popular but people who want it have to jump so if there was a case that a car was too far away for me to go see it, then i would want it inspected if that too wasnt possible the price would have to reflect risks and if it didnt i guess i would miss out,

Im not bucks up enough to gamble, toss money down the crapper.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

I would not. At least pay for a PPI from a 3rd party.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:15 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Search for the local Corvette club in the area where the car is and I'm sure you could find a member to go look at it for you for a 12 pack or something.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Jetglow
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 73 Posts

See my reply below...

Last edited by Jetglow; 09-20-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought both my Vettes from buyavette. I had them send me the inspection report on both of them and they did offer to refund my money if they were not as described. i was less happy with my purchase last year of my C-3 than I was with my C-4 in 1998. Not sure if I would buy sight unseen from them again.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DavidandJoansVette
I bought both my Vettes from buyavette. I had them send me the inspection report on both of them and they did offer to refund my money if they were not as described. i was less happy with my purchase last year of my C-3 than I was with my C-4 in 1998. Not sure if I would buy sight unseen from them again.

If not happy did you tell them, and what did they say, if you didnt tell them why not?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:20 PM
Jetglow
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 73 Posts

I highly strongly seriously suggest you look at it in person.... do not buy based on pictures or video. I wish I would have looked at mine in person before I bought it because I would have been in a better position to negotiate a much lower price or walked away from it.
Everyone has their own standards on what they expect to get and what they are willing to spend for what they are expecting to get. The salesman on the other end of the phone or email may have a different standard of what is nice or quality than you do. It’s a personal thing financially and mentally. You can’t do that properly if you don’t go look at it. I think the guys at BuyAVette are nice folks and try to please.... but I would never buy from them or anyone sight unseen ever again. I have high standards....and I spent more than I intended or expected to get it to the standard I expected when I bought it based on photos..... That’s my fault for not seeing it in person and I learned from it. I’d go see it in person...... that way you feel better about your long term investment. Here is mine as of yesterday. I spent a lot of money....and I love it now... but I was sick about it 5 months ago. I’m not saying don’t buy a car from them.... just don’t buy one from anyone without looking at every inch... starting it... driving it...

Last edited by Jetglow; 09-20-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:43 AM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Originally Posted by The13Bats
If not happy did you tell them, and what did they say, if you didnt tell them why not?
No I did not contact them. They did not hide anything from me. I went strictly by the inspection report on what I wanted fixed. I did not look closely at the photos which showed a drooping door and a hole in the right muffler. I also did not ask them if it had been in a wreck. It had been and repaired well. The A/C which was on the list to be fixed worked in November when I saw the car but not in the spring when I fired it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Sight unseen

Old 09-21-2018, 02:34 PM
David in NC
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have bought and sold sight unseen, even after swearing to never do it again. 3rd party PPI is of limited value unless done by a local enthusiast who knows what to look for and makes the effort and is allowed to do. The commercial 3rd party PP inspection services will disclose gross defects (or in some case every single paint chip to the point of being ridiculous), but won't get into the nitty gritty like putting on a lift or removing kick plates to check birdcage. Better than nothing, but not like pouring over the car in person. Every dealer and private seller presents their cars in the best possible light, even if they disclose flaws, so it is rare to get exactly or better than expected when buying sight unseen. With 50+ year old cars there are often demons, hidden or not, even if restored. And then there is the fact that you will be excited when actually inspecting the car and miss things yourself only to be discovered down the road (literally). All just part of the package in buying and selling old cars. Bottom line, don't buy sight unseen if can be avoided. Any reputable seller will hold a car long enough for you to arrange a prompt PPI.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:18 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DavidandJoansVette
No I did not contact them. They did not hide anything from me. I went strictly by the inspection report on what I wanted fixed. I did not look closely at the photos which showed a drooping door and a hole in the right muffler. I also did not ask them if it had been in a wreck. It had been and repaired well. The A/C which was on the list to be fixed worked in November when I saw the car but not in the spring when I fired it up.
I dont mean to to sound like im critiquing you, not my intention but i know from my OCD etc if i paid top dollar for a car from a dealer with inspections and guarantees and the car came with a sagging door and hole in muffller things i consider even some newies would have notice and an inspector shouldnt miss i would complain,
And the fact the ACs fix was just a "top off " to get it out the door and the real issue the leak wasnt fixed to me thats half assed.
I am sorry these things happened to you.
And im sure others will say im overbiard on my thinking

Old 09-21-2018, 07:53 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I dont mean to to sound like im critiquing you, not my intention but i know from my OCD etc if i paid top dollar for a car from a dealer with inspections and guarantees and the car came with a sagging door and hole in muffller things i consider even some newies would have notice and an inspector shouldnt miss i would complain,
And the fact the ACs fix was just a "top off " to get it out the door and the real issue the leak wasnt fixed to me thats half assed.
I am sorry these things happened to you.
And im sure others will say im overbiard on my thinking
No problem - feel free to critique. The A/C repair was half assed I agree. I did see the car after I bought it and missed the door issue and the muffler. It was not mentioned in the inspection report so i didn't look. My bad. because my earlier purchase had been spot on i didn't look as hard at the photos and ask the questions i should have. i now agree with the others who recommend a professional inspection prior to purchase sight unseen. i still would have bought the 77 in the end but been alert to the issues. my bad.

Quick Reply: Sight unseen