C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Base/Stock L98 - Amazon Shorty or Hugger Headers - Which is Easiest Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:26 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1985 Base/Stock L98 - Amazon Shorty or Hugger Headers - Which is Easiest Install

1985 Stock L98 - Amazon Shorty or Hugger Headers - Which is Easiest to Install?

Which Headers are the easiest to install? Are either ones direct bolt on? All Smog equipment, A.I.R. Pump complete, gone. AC equipment, Compressor, Hoses, gone. I just want a nice set of light weight better breathing exhaust manifolds that are easy to bolt on. I'm disabled and working on the car is an extreme challenge. What would take the average amateur garage floor shade tree mechanic a few days might take me a few weeks or a few months. I have a decent exhaust, stock, with a new drivers side muffler, GM Part ( which is different in size than the out of the factory part by the way... had to monkey wrench rubber mallet re-engineer Autozone adapter work with my exhaust tips... sheesh!). It sounds good but I'm going to replace the Catalytic Converter with a straight pipe for a little extra room note. The Cat has a rattle in it anyway and has to go regardless. Oh! by the way... is it hard to gut a cat? Thought maybe I could gut the cat and put it back if that would be easier. I'm thinking to cut it out, flanges and all, and replace it with a straight pipe using butt connectors/clamps, and maybe seal the seams with some Tiger Patch. Not sure what length pipe I'll need just yet. I hope it's a stock size available at AutoZone. Any comments, advice, criticisms, etc... will be very welcome and greatly appreciated.

I believe he C4 is the one of the most unique, innovative cars ever built and there's plenty of evidence to suggest that it's the finest Corvette ever put on the streets. If you haven't done so then in between turning wrenches, set yourself down at a computer and do some homework. There's a lot of material out there, books, magazines, videos, special publications, some from GM, and others from highly respected authorities, some American and some European, regarding the C4, telling of it's exciting history and marvelous engineering. Dig up it's performance stats, tests, reviews, special dealer/collector handouts, etc. Read how it sent the Eurotrash scattering and scratching their heads gaskets. I'm sure you'll come to believe as I do that It's an amazing vehicle and nothing quite like it anywhere. They can re-engineer, redesign, rebuild from scratch every Corvette that came after, but the spirit of the C4 is alive and well, and sitting in the drivers seat of every last one of them. You have every reason to be in Love with, and very proud, very lucky, to own one.

Got that out of my system. So... how 'bout dem hedders?!

John

Amazon says these Headers fit my 1985 Corvette

For Chevy Small Block Hugger 2x4-1 Tight Fit Design Stainless Steel Exhaust Header Kit (Polished Chrome) Angle Head

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NI73J...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Amazon says nothing about these Headers

<b>Black Coated Hugger Shorty Headers For SBC Chevy 265 283 305 350 383 400 GM</b> Black Coated Hugger Shorty Headers For SBC Chevy 265 283 305 350 383 400 GM

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VLEZAXQ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza]
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (02-28-2024)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Any particular reason you don't want Long Tube headers? The shorty ones are pretty close to stock so not much gain, if any, to justify the effort.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
Any particular reason you don't want Long Tube headers? The shorty ones are pretty close to stock so not much gain, if any, to justify the effort.
First, you haven't answered my post If you would like to participate, please read the title and post more carefully, and then, if you can, provide an appropriate response to the question posted. Then, if you like we'll discuss why your previous response is both wrong and invalid in many ways,
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHot85Vette
First, you haven't answered my post If you would like to participate, please read the title and post more carefully, and then, if you can, provide an appropriate response to the question posted. Then, if you like we'll discuss why your previous response is both wrong and invalid in many ways,

OK I"ll answer your question. Installing or removing any exhaust manifold from a C4 sucks. You didn't state what your goals are anyway. If looks is what you want then that's your decision on chrome or powder coated. If its performance, don't waste your money or time.

Good Luck
RedHot85Vette (09-23-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Was responding to the part about
Any comments, advice, criticisms, etc... will be very welcome and greatly appreciated.

So let's talk about "wrong and invalid". Other than "It's not what I wanted to hear".

Last edited by aklim; 09-21-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm running a set of those cheap ebay stainless shorty headers on my car. They work awesome and still are shiny as when I bought them. I have around 12000 miles on them so far. I made my own collector as the 2 1/4in outlet is way way too small, I made mine into a 3in outlet as they should be. Your gonna have to weld in two O2 sensors, easy stuff I just welded them on the set of 3in short radius 90 deg exhaust. Dont be afraid of the price, they fit great and sound awesome.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 09-22-2018 at 12:23 PM.
RedHot85Vette (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Dont be afraid of the price, they fit great and sound awesome.
And what is the performance differences? If sound is a concern perhaps the Vroombox is a easier way to get the sound with little to no work?
Old 09-22-2018, 05:37 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

The shorty ones look like almost a bolt on, so if ease is instillation is the issue, they're the ones.

But, you might want to remove the heat shields from yours and take a look at them, because they're already tubular construction and not altogether different from the "shortys"

The long tubes are better, but then you're modifying the pipes a bit more.

Frankly, I find that taking the car to any local shop with an exhaust pipe bender is better and much cleaner looking than cobbling connectors together, and the price isn't unreasonable.

In fact the result is usually better than boxed pipe sets that never seem to fit quite right.
RedHot85Vette (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by rrt898
OK I"ll answer your question. Installing or removing any exhaust manifold from a C4 sucks. You didn't state what your goals are anyway. If looks is what you want then that's your decision on chrome or powder coated. If its performance, don't waste your money or time.

Good Luck
Here's a goal as stated in my post: "I just want a nice set of light weight better breathing exhaust manifolds that are easy to bolt on. "

And anyway, my goals are none of your business. My goals have nothing to do with the question posted. Here's a new goal: I'd like to get a simple answer to a simple question, out of the 2, which headers will be easier to install, not some rude, remarks about the "worth" and "effort" of the job, or more unprofessional rudeness about the job being one that "sucks". Is that the way to encourage and help someone that comes here for assistance?

You didn't even provide any information, professional or otherwise, as to why the job is not worth the effort or why it sucks. All that Negativity. It's terrible. You should be ashamed of yourself. Are you trying to discourage people? Here in this forum you should be Helpful, and Encouraging. Provide Data, Information, Knowledge, Experience, In a Professional manner. BE POSITIVE. BE KIND. BE PROFESSIONAL. Why is it not worth the effort? Why does the job suck? I've read all the technical data, watched YouTubes. Doesn't seem to "suck" to me. And I'm handicapped! I guess if you're not experienced or knowledgable or have problems with tools or technical data, then I guess the job might suck. If you do some research, watch some tubes as I did, maybe you'll see that the job doesn't suck at all, and you won't be prompted to tell people that it does.

Someone comes here looking for Help, and that's the Help you give them? Add something to the cause that might be useful. If you don't have experience with such things and can't answer the simple question posted, with a somewhat professional tone, then why bother responding. I'm sure you can find a different post, maybe one where you can really make a contribution to.

Good Luck
Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by confab
The shorty ones look like almost a bolt on, so if ease is instillation is the issue, they're the ones.

But, you might want to remove the heat shields from yours and take a look at them, because they're already tubular construction and not altogether different from the "shortys"
The long tubes are better, but then you're modifying the pipes a bit more.
Frankly, I find that taking the car to any local shop with an exhaust pipe bender is better and much cleaner looking than cobbling connectors together, and the price isn't unreasonable.
In fact the result is usually better than boxed pipe sets that never seem to fit quite right.
I'm newly disabled/handicapped. I like working on cars. There's a major conflict going on between me, my body, my tools, and my car. I like working on it. Hot Rodding It! LOVE IT! So even though it might take me a week to splice a wire... I'm gonna get it done. No one expected me to walk. I can walk, but like I say, a drunken toddler. I set things up special, so I could work on the car. I won't go into it but I was able to work on it, and it's taken me now 5 months to do other amateurs would take maybe 5 weeks, or 5 days, who knows. And you know what... All that working on the car, straining, leaning over the engine bay, etc... has wrecked my "SI Joints", so now I'm stuck in a chair again, on my porch, smoking my pipe, unable to walk, looking at my car, just 40 feet away, and I'm thinking about my exhaust system, and Shorty Headers from Amazon.

I wouldn't dare try to do the LT Job myself even if I was fully functional. I'd much rather call Allstate Road Assistance when I get a flat than mess around with some lame-azz spare tire. Call for the tow, and then look around for a Bar to wait in. Same thing with repairs and/or mods... gotta know when to call for the tow. I have a great mechanic who comes to my house. He has a full mobile shop. I give him a list and he goes at it. But I like to do whatever work I can. Things aren't looking too good right now for me, so I might have to call for the tow. I'm planning for (hoping for) Springtime.

I know what you mean about the stock manifolds but... they're ugly, with their ugly heat shields, you could grind 'em paint 'em whatever, they'll still not look as nice as them pretty chrome shortie's... they retain heat like radiators in an old house, they have little steel nipples/pimples protruding into them, from the smog equipment, restrictions, small, but restrictions nonetheless, they bother me... the stock manifolds are heavy, reducing weight of their vehicle should be the goal of every hot rodder that wants to go faster, it all adds up, and you can find lots of excess weight here and there once you start looking,.. and so... the stock manifolds gotta go... they're just not the look I'm going for. I could care less about the performance. It'll be as good, but I bet, better than stock. The car is Fast! Just by itself. Did a hundred fifty outta the box! 33 years old! It's still fast.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

And what is the performance differences? If sound is a concern perhaps the Vroombox is a easier way to get the sound with little to no work?
Just go away. You're not helpful. You apparently like to hide your ignorance behind ridiculous comments. Your ignorance is just as attractive as your profile pic. Try being intelligent and professional for a change. Or even better, just go away and find some other post to haunt.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:20 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Yeah, long tubes are gonna definitely be a PITA for you then. I have a set I haven't installed yet, but I can tell from looking it is going to be a cage match, and I have a shop and a lift.

Something else, I am told that severe mods will require the newer starter.. Or it at least makes it possible to remove it after the header install. The shorty headers will undoubtedly be better from that respect as well.

I thought I saw some short SS ones on amazon once that were pretty good looking too.. No plating to peel that way!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:28 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I'm running a set of those cheap ebay stainless shorty headers on my car. They work awesome and still are shiny as when I bought them. I have around 12000 miles on them so far. I made my own collector as the 2 1/4in outlet is way way too small, I made mine into a 3in outlet as they should be. Your gonna have to weld in two O2 sensors, easy stuff I just welded them on the set of 3in short radius 90 deg exhaust. Dont be afraid of the price, they fit great and sound awesome.
Thanks a Million! A breath of fresh air. My car has 2.5" pipes, and only one O2 Sensor. I was hoping to just plug one of these Shortie's right straight into my existing exhaust. I have a mechanic that comes to my house and he has a full shop and he's cheap. I like to do whatever work I can (I'm handicapped), but sometimes, I need his help, but even then, I don't want to give him monumental jobs to do. I don't need that. I don't need Longie's. I want a nice look and feel of my engine compartment. Hopefully, I can do the work myself, maybe in the Spring. I'm planning. Acquiring parts and materials... and awesome information from kind helpful people like yourself.

Bravo!

John
Mike Holmen (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:31 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Was responding to the part about .

So let's talk about "wrong and invalid". Other than "It's not what I wanted to hear".
whatever... just go away, stop bothering people, there are other posts on this forum... i'm sure you can find one more to your... whatever
Old 09-23-2018, 12:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

whatever... just go away, stop bothering people, there are other posts on this forum... i'm sure you can find one more to your... whatever
Someone died and made you god? I highly doubt it. Don't like what I say? Ignore it mentally if you have the will or if you are weak, use the ignore function.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:37 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Thanks a Million! A breath of fresh air. My car has 2.5" pipes, and only one O2 Sensor. I was hoping to just plug one of these Shortie's right straight into my existing exhaust. I have a mechanic that comes to my house and he has a full shop and he's cheap. I like to do whatever work I can (I'm handicapped), but sometimes, I need his help, but even then, I don't want to give him monumental jobs to do. I don't need that. I don't need Longie's. I want a nice look and feel of my engine compartment. Hopefully, I can do the work myself, maybe in the Spring. I'm planning. Acquiring parts and materials... and awesome information from kind helpful people like yourself.

Bravo!

John
Yes John. We get you are handicapped as you have explained numerous times. The breath of fresh air you wanted was to tell you it was a good idea. Why didn't you say so first with "Endorse my idea and don't warn me if it is a wasteful exercise."? That would have been way easier and I would have said "Go with the hugger ones." since I think hugs are better than drugs.
fast.asleep (10-04-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 12:42 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Yeah, long tubes are gonna definitely be a PITA for you then. I have a set I haven't installed yet, but I can tell from looking it is going to be a cage match, and I have a shop and a lift.

Something else, I am told that severe mods will require the newer starter.. Or it at least makes it possible to remove it after the header install. The shorty headers will undoubtedly be better from that respect as well.

I thought I saw some short SS ones on amazon once that were pretty good looking too.. No plating to peel that way!
Wow! A shop and a lift. I have a home depot garage in a box by shelterlogic. It's got about a hundred leaks and my tool trays are always filling up with water, HA!

I have no interest in Long Tubes. They would be overkill for my purposes. I want my engine bay to look nice. I believe there will be some sound improvement. I believe there will be some, if little, performance improvement. I know a guy who programs PROMS, has done thousands for the TPI engines. He told me, "they just look nice". They're inexpensive to acquire and install. As little as $70 bucks! They gotta be relatively easy to install, I just want the "easiest". I'm handicapped, in several ways, so I'm always looking to do things, as easy as possible.

Thanks so much for your response. And Yes, I'm going to take your advice and get the SS. I forgot about the peel. I bet the chrome would peel.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Base/Stock L98 - Amazon Shorty or Hugger Headers - Which is Easiest Install

Old 09-23-2018, 02:03 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by rrt898

Good Luck
I did say, "I just want a nice set of light weight better breathing exhaust manifolds that are easy to bolt on." Those are goals. My goals is not the question here. I just wanted to know which of the 2 selections would be easiest to install. I have big reasons for that. The job ain't half bad as is, by the book, for a fully functional, adequately equipped mechanic (I wish I still had my air tools and compressor and...) but with the Smog and AC components out of the way, it should be a walk in the park. I'm going stainless. Yep! Looks is one of the things i'm Looking for. I'm good with the performance of the car. I've done a bunch more mods... my intake is a work of art... and my ignition and cooling system is to die for... my throttle body is sweeet... all new sensors, vacuum lines, rims from a '95, tires, shocks, PROM, more... it runs cool, smooth and... it's a friggin Red Hot Rocket!

I hope they let me drive it soon. Not as much fun being a passenger in your own hot rod. Ha!

Happy Motoring!

John
Old 09-23-2018, 02:13 AM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Again, Thanks for the tip off! Found these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hugger-Design-Stainless-Exhaust-Polished/dp/B00NI73JWI/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1537680617&sr=1-3&keywords=header+small+block+chevy+angle+head+hugger https://www.amazon.com/Hugger-Design-Stainless-Exhaust-Polished/dp/B00NI73JWI/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1537680617&sr=1-3&keywords=header+small+block+chevy+angle+head+hugger

Amazon's fitment says they fit.
  • Made of high quality steel with 2 x 4-1 direct bolt-on design
  • TIG welded CNC machine flange
  • Metal gasket included / Inlet: 1.75"x1.5" (Oval) / Outlet: 2.5"
  • Increase high flow air, instantly gain 10 to 15 Hp. / Tq

Product description
The exhaust manifolds found in the 1966-1996 Small Block Chevy engines were designed to combine the exhaust gasses from each of the cylinders quickly with a manifold that was cost effective to produce. Our 4-1 Block Hugger off-road headers are designed to allow the exhaust gasses to flow more freely from each cylinder bank and combine in a more efficient manner. Block Hugger style headers are meant to be used where space for long tube headers isn?t available due to steering and cross member clearance issues. Tubing has been optimized for the 5.0L(305ci), 5.3L(327ci), 5.7L(350ci), and 6.6L(400ci) engines. This creates a reduction in cylinder backpressure and improved exhaust gas velocity. These improvements free up lost horsepower and torque. An added benefit is a more performance oriented exhaust sound.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:01 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I put long tubes on mine to keep or increase the bottom end. They sound great . I bought a exhaust system from one of the vendors on here that included the X pipe. My Cat was darn near a flow thru it was so worn so left it off, Warning here,, its against fed law to remove them and not replace them. Most muffler shops wont do it. " I had a friend" ect. Headers alone are not going to feel like its a lot stronger , they need help like a cam and or better flowing heads. L98 Alum heads just aint all that great. AFR 95s are popular choice in here with good reason. By the way, AKIM knows his stuff and is full of good info. I think perhaps you guys just got off on the wrong foot. He can be very helpful.So is WVsomething, sorry, my memory is poor due to health reasons, Again, welcome to the place, have fun and dont forhet the wave.

Quick Reply: 1985 Base/Stock L98 - Amazon Shorty or Hugger Headers - Which is Easiest Install