C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

stock vs sriii

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,517 Likes on 800 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default stock vs sriii

I saw the silver state race post and it got me excited. I am in the process of building a 66 street-roadrace car. I know a correctly modified stock chassis works well. but is anyone running a sriii chassis and racing it. Im at the point now where I have to make a decision. Are any of you auto crossing with an sriii?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:59 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Watching this
Old 09-21-2018, 05:54 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Ultimately, I would like to (Autocross). At Goodguys, in Scottsdale last November, there was a fellow with a blue early C3 (68-71 ish) that had an SRIII chassis. He said compared to his original it was night and day. I would imagine that the C6/C7 suspension on the SRIII will offer significant benefit over stock...
Old 09-21-2018, 06:06 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been autocrossing my '65 since shortly after completing the chassis swap about 4 years ago. When I was living in the Bay Area I raced with Santa Clara Corvettes and my car was very competitive against Gen 5 and 6 Corvettes, except the Gen 6 Z06's. I have a smaller tire contact patch but the car makes up for that disadvantage by weighing only 2,850 lbs. I'm autocrossing in NorCal now with the Trinity Touring Club, they run a series in Anderson at the fairgrounds. I'm not running this weekend, too many house projects going on, but I'll be running the final weekend (Oct. 20). If you're interested you're welcome to run my car in the second group to get a feel for the differences the SR III chassis makes. Even with ultra-sticky Dunlop Direzza's it's quite a handful coming out of turns!
The SR III chassis is also a WONDERFUL driving experience on the street with the coil-over shock settings set more towards the comfort setting.
Rick
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Saddletan
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If money is a factor, go with a roll bar, at least six point, or a cage. Lots of suspension options, a la Hobaugh's 65 coupe.
Or, tube frame, T56, Dana 44, C6/7 suspension. $$$$
Old 09-22-2018, 11:17 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,517 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by rick piras

I've been autocrossing my '65 since shortly after completing the chassis swap about 4 years ago. When I was living in the Bay Area I raced with Santa Clara Corvettes and my car was very competitive against Gen 5 and 6 Corvettes, except the Gen 6 Z06's. I have a smaller tire contact patch but the car makes up for that disadvantage by weighing only 2,850 lbs. I'm autocrossing in NorCal now with the Trinity Touring Club, they run a series in Anderson at the fairgrounds. I'm not running this weekend, too many house projects going on, but I'll be running the final weekend (Oct. 20). If you're interested you're welcome to run my car in the second group to get a feel for the differences the SR III chassis makes. Even with ultra-sticky Dunlop Direzza's it's quite a handful coming out of turns!
The SR III chassis is also a WONDERFUL driving experience on the street with the coil-over shock settings set more towards the comfort setting.
Rick
Thanks Rick I would love to drive your beautiful car. I think maybe just round town. I have never auto crossed before and your car is way to nice for a beginner
Old 09-22-2018, 06:09 PM
rick piras
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Reno,
That's the beauty of autocrossing. Pretty much the worst thing the driver can do is to murder a few orange cones. My chassis and undercarriage already has a number of scuff marks from mowing over cones and dragging them the rest of the way through the course. If you do some spectacular spin-out you might feel a little silly, but I can guarantee you that EVERYONE there with a powerful enough car has done it too, so they'll just chuckle along with you.
The fact that you're building a coupe opens up the possibility of actual track days without too much work. You don't need a roll bar at most track days. But once you've sunk the time, money, and effort into a car it's hard to think about taking it on the track. A screw-up there can damage a lot more than some orange cones!
Good lick,
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To stock vs sriii

Quick Reply: stock vs sriii