Sponsored by:

Anyone DIY replace windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:34 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Anyone DIY replace windshield?

Looking for good instructions / video on a DIY windshield replacement. Car is a 2017 Z06.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:19 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I'm sure you have your reasons for doing this, but if you don't have experience with stationary glass and urethane, then expect to do it twice before you get it right. Also make sure you buy the right tools for cutting the old glass out.
The following 3 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
Artarmy (03-05-2023), Maxie2U (09-22-2018), Vette Jockey (12-12-2023)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:00 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I'm sure you have your reasons for doing this, but if you don't have experience with stationary glass and urethane, then expect to do it twice before you get it right. Also make sure you buy the right tools for cutting the old glass out.
I agree for what it cost to get a shop to put it in pay for having it done it is a small art in doing almost every glass on every car. Robert
Old 09-22-2018, 09:09 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Thanks for the responses so far. I've had my windshield replaced at my house a few days ago. Non-OEM, looks bad. But was with the guy most of the time he was replacing my windshield, and wasn't overly complicated. I purchased an OEM windshield, received it yesterday, and was looking for a tutorial on replacing it myself. I've found a good video online, although in Spanish, and skipped the most important part of removing the actual windshield.

I could easily call the guy that just did my windshield back, since he lives less than a couple miles from me, but just wanted to see if there was something out there already where someone did it themselves.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

If you try it, making sure you have no skips in the urethane, is probably the most important part. Any skip will result in a noisy air leak and possibly a water leak. Part of doing that is making sure you cut through the old urethane bed in a smooth and consistent way. I'm not aware of any good videos or anything that might help, but this is a task that appears deceptively easy. Its like carrying a bundle of shingles up a three story ladder. Simple to understand, but hard to actually do.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
Maxie2U (09-22-2018), ScottKolek (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:49 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

This is why I always insist on the dealer doing the replacement using OEM glass. The insurance company always agrees.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:53 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Originally Posted by red62vette
This is why I always insist on the dealer doing the replacement using OEM glass. The insurance company always agrees.
My local dealer outsources it to the guy that did my windshield. I was told the OEM takes a long time to order and arrive and costs twice as much, and I track my car, and there's not much time left in the year, so I didn't want to wait. Found out I could order the OEM rather quickly myself online, so not sure why they had a problem ordering OEM. plus I don't have glass coverage on my insurance, so it's all out of pocket for me.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:33 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

SafeLite, OEM windshield, done in their shop NOT in your driveway (the better ones won't even offer to do it in your driveway)
The following 2 users liked this post by KenHorse:
4thC4at60 (09-22-2018), owc6 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:36 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Originally Posted by KenHorse
SafeLite, OEM windshield, done in their shop NOT in your driveway (the better ones won't even offer to do it in your driveway)
Maybe Safelite next time, but called my dealership, and they told me this guy is the one that does all their cars, not just Corvettes. So if the dealer recommended him and gives him all their work, I "thought" he would have been better than Safelite. He did a good job, just steered me away from OEM for time and cost reasons, since I had to be back up and running within a couples weeks to track my car again.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKolek
Maybe Safelite next time, but called my dealership, and they told me this guy is the one that does all their cars, not just Corvettes. So if the dealer recommended him and gives him all their work, I "thought" he would have been better than Safelite. He did a good job, just steered me away from OEM for time and cost reasons, since I had to be back up and running within a couples weeks to track my car again.
I’m surprised it takes so long for you to get a windshield. I’ve always been able to get one in 1-2 days. Porsche, BMW, Tahoe, and others. I also have comprehensive with $0 deductible, which doesn’t cost too much. You may want to check it out.
ScottKolek (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:13 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 999 Posts

The dealer did not give you all the information. The OEM glass is readily available in the GM parts delivery system and should not require a long delivery time. It will usually be more expensive and many would argue worth it. I have seen hundreds installed and the fit usually does not change between the different choices and is more dependent on the installer. You would be unlikely to find a dealer who actually has a trained glass installer and it normally is a sublet item. There is simply not enough volume through a dealership to justify the expense as the insurance carriers control that market.
ScottKolek (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 AM
ScottKolek
Pro

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
The dealer did not give you all the information. The OEM glass is readily available in the GM parts delivery system and should not require a long delivery time. It will usually be more expensive and many would argue worth it. I have seen hundreds installed and the fit usually does not change between the different choices and is more dependent on the installer. You would be unlikely to find a dealer who actually has a trained glass installer and it normally is a sublet item. There is simply not enough volume through a dealership to justify the expense as the insurance carriers control that market.
Yeah, it only took me 3 days to get the OEM glass delivered to me, and only ~$600 shipped, a pretty good deal I think.
Maxie2U (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I suggest you add glass coverage to your insurance. The cost of a comprehensive policy is so small it is ridiculous to not have such things as wild animal impacts, fire, theft, vandalism and glass breakage covered.

Bill
Vette Jockey (12-12-2023)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

GM OEM glass is "Ship Direct" mean it comes from the glass company not a warehouse. Many times it is not boxed. So extra time is quoted it's easier to call and tell you it early than to call still waiting.

Stationary glass is a structural component of the car. Improper installation is a safety concern. Maybe the reason there is little DIY information.

When I worked in a body shop we used a 3M 2 part adhesive. The most of old adhesive has to be removed. You don't want bare metal. You may need a primer or prep agent. Refer to instructions. Auto body or 3M suppliers should have adhesive and can answer questions. Make sure you have molding and positioning blocks (little plastic or rubber blocks that locate glass on cowl) if necessary. This is really a 1 shot deal. Once glass is seated, the bead is distorted, car will need to sit 12 hours or so. It's easy to break glass trying to remove or reposition it. Glass is considered a "as is" part. Damage is to be caught on reciept, after that it's yours.
Good Luck
The following 3 users liked this post by Kevova:
Malum1 (09-23-2018), Maxie2U (09-22-2018), ScottKolek (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 05:48 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Get the OE glass from the dealership. If the dealership outsources (sublets) the labor, and gives you the name of who they call, you can call them and arrange for it yourself. But if you provide the glass, you know what you're getting.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:55 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Safelite repair, Safelite replace...

No other comment.
Malum1 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Do you want to replace it yourself because you like working on your car and learn new things or you are trying to save a few bucks?

I’ve had my windshield replaced twice in three years the last one just two days ago. I watched a very experienced glass guy replace the windshield and I can say it’s like watching a doctor perform surgery. There are a lot of things you have to take off just to get to the point of removing the windshield. Replacing the windshield can be a PITA to a novice. Just getting the correct urethane adhesive amount and consistency is no easy task although my glass guy has done so many C7s it’s second nature to him but a newbie will be very challenged to get it right the first time. Then the real magic starts, setting the window exactly in the correct location without misaligning it and not mess up the adhesive while getting the top correctly aligned with the transport top.

Given it only cost $200 in labor for the installation I would have paid twice that!

BTW, the GM HUD windshield cost $700.00.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 09-22-2018 at 07:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxie2U:
Malum1 (09-23-2018), ScottKolek (09-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone DIY replace windshield?

Old 09-22-2018, 07:17 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,301 Posts

I have had Safelite replace windshields on C4: C6, CTS-V, and my C7..... zero complaints.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

My local dealer outsources it to the guy that did my windshield. I was told the OEM takes a long time to order and arrive and costs twice as much, and I track my car, and there's not much time left in the year, so I didn't want to wait. Found out I could order the OEM rather quickly myself online, so not sure why they had a problem ordering OEM. plus I don't have glass coverage on my insurance, so it's all out of pocket for me.

Not sure why you were told by your dealer it takes a long time mine took five days to arrive after the dealer ordered it.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:15 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
When I was a poor student I did all sorts of work on my car, but as someone who no longer is poor I much appreciate being able to hire someone with expertise so that I won't have to learn to do something one time only.
I would say that the only reason to do it yourself is if you're interested in the experience, but realize that it will cost you additional time (and maybe money) to do so.
Your choice, of course.

Quick Reply: Anyone DIY replace windshield?