C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Posting a V.I.N. Openly on the Internet
SAFE - No risk potential
65.00%
SECURITY RISK - Risk potential from scammers, thieves...
35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Posting V.I.N.'s online...SAFE or SECURITY RISK??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Posting V.I.N.'s online...SAFE or SECURITY RISK??

I was at a local car gathering last night and there was a "spirited" debate going on as to whether or not it is safe to post a V.I.N. on the internet. Although I chose not not participate in the debate (like I said, it was "spirited" ) I have always chosen to err on the side of caution, and I never post V.I.N. information online about vehicles I have sold. I am happy to disclose all information once I make phone or personal contact with a potential buyer...just not openly on the internet.

Feel free to take the poll and add any information you feel is pertinent one way or the other!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

what is anyone going to do with a vin number. any car built from 68 on up the vin is in the windshield for anyone to see. there is no data base John Q Public can access to track anyone down. Law enforcement can't do it without reason.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

I believe in most states it's public information. That's how I get letters and phone calls wanting me to buy extended warranties.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:52 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
what is anyone going to do with a vin number. any car built from 68 on up the vin is in the windshield for anyone to see. there is no data base John Q Public can access to track anyone down. Law enforcement can't do it without reason.
I guess I am paranoid. I hide the VIN on the inside of my Corvettes with a slip of black paper. Don't think there is a law that says it has to be showing. Occasionally you hear about cars that people buy and when they go to register it shows up as a duplicate VIN. Of course who knows if this is actually true or not.

So I voted safe and not sorry.

Redvette2
Old 09-22-2018, 03:07 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
I believe in most states it's public information. That's how I get letters and phone calls wanting me to buy extended warranties.
That's a good point, as I get a LOT of calls from God only knows who, trying to sell me a warranty for my wife's car. But somehow or other, I don't think that a private individual can access that into, at least in NY. I recently ran a VIN scan on an old Pontiac T/A that I used to own, using the "DMVdesk.com" website, that was posted here, at CF. As it turned out, there was no information from the time I owned the car (in NY) between 1976 and 2001, or any information between 2001 and 2006. However, it showed up on their database's radar in 2007, on the other side of the US.....
Old 09-22-2018, 03:43 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

I have never heard of a car being stolen or have its indentity stolen because the vin was online. If that was the case then dealers who have been in business selling corvettes since the eighties wouldn't post the vins. Also, the vins are all mostly same for each year except for the last 6 digits and the coupe/convert digit so anyone could just make up a vin as long as its within the range if they wanted to.

There is an online c3 registry. Has anyone heard of a problem with all those posted vins? Vintage Ferrari's that are wroth millions have a registry that's been online for 20 years with all the vins. Never been a problem.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I dont even see why some get scared to post their license tag online and do a stupid looking finger in the pic blocking the tag,

Old 09-22-2018, 05:50 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

License tag will get someone your address. VIN can too. Takes a LEO access, but lots people know cops.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by derekderek
License tag will get someone your address. VIN can too. Takes a LEO access, but lots people know cops.

Very true! Mind you, I don't try to hide, but I won't put information out there that can make it easy for someone to potentially carry out nefarious activities...of ANY nature. Am I paranoid? Think it if you like, but I call it cautious. I realize that many can find "public" information if they search hard enough...but why make it easy for them? The easy marks get hit. If someone has to work too hard to get your information they'll just move on to much easier game.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:56 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Sorry, flawed.

this is the internet age, a school kid on a lap tap can learn just about anything about you without trying very hard at all.

So what about other motorists seeing your license plate?
More see it out driving than it posted on a web site.

That registry sute has the vin and contact info names etc,

Have you seen the vanity plate threads not just on this forum but any car forum,

Im not trying to change anyones mind its just not something im concerned about.

Last edited by The13Bats; 09-22-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

There are thieves and scammers who surf adds shopping. Some will hijack the ad entirety, reposting hoping for online deposits. Some may attempt to take the car, cutting keys in advance. Others may have a car without a title and need a valid vin. This can happen in states without titles on classic cars. IMO there's no reason to share complete vin online, unless selling requires history report.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevova
There are thieves and scammers who surf adds shopping. Some will hijack the ad entirety, reposting hoping for online deposits. Some may attempt to take the car, cutting keys in advance. Others may have a car without a title and need a valid vin. This can happen in states without titles on classic cars. IMO there's no reason to share complete vin online, unless selling requires history report.
As far as bad guys cloning ads that isnt really going to stop if vins are not listed, bad guys will keep scamming.

If someone tried to use the vin from my 69 it would show up as being on a car in eustis belonging to me, if a buyer doesnt check a vin before buying they are asking for it,

Are you saying i can have keys made for my 69 just from the vin, that would be sweet, who provides that service?

Last edited by The13Bats; 09-22-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:13 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Gimme your phone number, and I can tell you what kind of underware you prefer, and how many teeth you have. And with cameras everywhere, I can probably guess where you went to dinner last night. Anybody who thinks they have ANY measure of "privacy" ANYWHERE anymore is only fooling themselves.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oldgto
Gimme your phone number, and I can tell you what kind of underware you prefer, and how many teeth you have. And with cameras everywhere, I can probably guess where you went to dinner last night. Anybody who thinks they have ANY measure of "privacy" ANYWHERE anymore is only fooling themselves.
Ok, lets see if you really know what you're talking about. My phone number is 516 308-4022, I'll even give you my name, Ed Cervo. And you even have my town as its in my profile. You'll find my business if you do a google search but nothing much else that I don't already know is out there. You will need inside access to get much else.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by ed427vette
Ok, lets see if you really know what you're talking about. My phone number is 516 308-4022, I'll even give you my name, Ed Cervo. And you even have my town as its in my profile. You'll find my business if you do a google search but nothing much else that I don't already know is out there. You will need inside access to get much else.
I undestand both the loud point jim was making and your rebuttle,
Jims a good guy and likely like me too lazy to look up your dope just to pound his chest,
The simple fact is "IF"a bad guy wants to they can and do get any info they desire,
Hiding a vin or license ( illegal to hide license on roads ) is just a pseudo since of security,
If it works for the person i say run with it,
If you are selling a car, photoshop the tag out or take it off, a blurred finger hiding the tag in the pix just looks silly.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:37 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

That's sort of irrelevant for the simple reason that if they have LEO access then they can look up all VIN's anyway without getting the info online. What would they do with the info? Come to your house and steal your car? I guess they could, but they could probably just go around there local neighborhood cruise and follow people home.

Theres lots of info that needs to stay private that can lead to a identity theft. Home address, vins, phone numbers arent going to get them to any bank accounts unless they call and you give it to them. Never worried about it.

Then theres Lifelock. A perfect scam...The first thing you have to do with them is....give them all your personal info. Then they will stage a "breach" and tell you how they saved you thousand in unauthorized charges. And you keep sending in your monthly payment to "protect" your accounts. No thanks.

I've had a credit card hacked only once ever last year from using a local gas station that had a reader attached to a pump. I caught it myself after only two days as I check my balances often and stopped it with minimal charges which were all credited back. Also the card has a low max for added protection.

My banks are all online, even if I don't personally bank online. I am sure I could get hacked a million different ways. I am sure my doctors and any hospitals I've been to have my records online.

I don't worry about anything anymore. I'll deal with it when and if the time comes. Fortunately I don't have much so I don't have much to lose.
The following users liked this post:
kenba (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:46 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I undestand both the loud point jim was making and your rebuttle,
Jims a good guy and likely like me too lazy to look up your dope just to pound his chest,
The simple fact is "IF"a bad guy wants to they can and do get any info they desire,
Hiding a vin or license ( illegal to hide license on roads ) is just a pseudo since of security,
If it works for the person i say run with it,
If you are selling a car, photoshop the tag out or take it off, a blurred finger hiding the tag in the pix just looks silly.
I understand what Jim is saying also, wasn't trying berate him or anything. I just don't think its as easy as that. And you're right. If a bad guy with that kind of knowledge knows what he is doing and wants to come after you then safeguards will likely not stop them. Safer is always better, but I don't think anyone is going after vins as a first line of attack.

As a buyer, I like knowing the vin as I can determine what is correct for that car as it can indicate the build date and then the pictures can be more usefull rather than having to go see every car I am interested in. They don't always show the trim tag. Then again I'm sure if I call the seller he could give me the build date info.

Get notified of new replies

To Posting V.I.N.'s online...SAFE or SECURITY RISK??

Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Posting a vin does nothing. It's visible right through the windshield for everyone to see at the local Walmart, car show or any place else you decide to go. The only time I would hesitate to post the vin is if I stole the car.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I dont even see why some get scared to post their license tag online and do a stupid looking finger in the pic blocking the tag,
I agree. If they are so paranoid why not block out the plate while they are driving around? Blocking the VIN or plate is just being paranoid.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:59 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Yes, and if that cop gets caught he'll be disciplined or fired. It's against the law for LEO's do use the database for personal use. Getting an address for a friend is personal use. My neighbor is a LEO and we are pretty good friends. We talked about this once and it's a big NO NO, at least in his department. They will fire any LEO that is caught doing it.
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (09-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Posting V.I.N.'s online...SAFE or SECURITY RISK??