C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a car that needs to ship East?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Her65
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default hauler

Thanks. FYI -Tri comes highly recommended by Forum Members

Last edited by Her65; 09-22-2018 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Found hauler
Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Call some of the 'home' moving companies. If they have a truck going the same way with enough room to fit the C3 in, they will do it...and do it for a lot less money than a specialty car mover. You will need to have a minimum amount of fuel in the tank, disconnect the battery, and check details with your car insurance agent re. coverage during that ride. If your policy won't cover it properly as-is, you can purchase an inexpensive rider to cover that move.

Wish you luck.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Really? You'd turn your car over to a furniture mover? To be transported in a furniture truck? I must be misunderstanding what you're suggesting. What are they going to secure it with, bungie cords and manila rope?
Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
Really? You'd turn your car over to a furniture mover? To be transported in a furniture truck? I must be misunderstanding what you're suggesting. What are they going to secure it with, bungie cords and manila rope?
It is actually done much more than you would think. There is tie downs in the floors of the trailers just like many of our car trailers, they loop the tires or axles and move on. Bikes, Golf Carts, lawn mowers, all same just different sizes and tie down points.

Just to be clear, it is not a recommendation, just an observation.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:57 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

I worked for a moving company and they love cars cause it adds weight to a load we use to put the car in then build a false roof over the car with clip-ins {they were retractable aluminum post } then load right over top of the car
Old 09-23-2018, 07:13 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by forman
I worked for a moving company and they love cars cause it adds weight to a load we use to put the car in then build a false roof over the car with clip-ins {they were retractable aluminum post } then load right over top of the car
Yup. I worked as a mover a few summers and I remember we did that a few times. We also crated up cars for long term storage for military guys being deployed (grew up in Fayetteville, NC where Ft. Bragg is).
Old 09-23-2018, 08:21 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yep. Don't 'bad-mouth' what you don't know....The corollary to that is: Listen and learn.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for the feedback to my post. That's the way it should be. This is a forum. A forum is for discussion and the exchange of ideas and advice. I'm giving mine. I have leaned a lot of valuable things on this forum. One of the things I've learned from listening to others here on this forum is to use a good, recommended, reputational, bonded and insured car transporting company that specializes in relocating classic vehicles. Furniture movers specialize in moving furniture not vehicles. Using a genuine vehicle transporter may cost a little more but I want the people I trust my car to to regard it as more than a way add weight to the load, My car is not a bike, golf cart, or a lawn mower. I want the folks I trust it to to understand it is one of my most favorite and valuable possessions and regard it as such. Apparently there are a few classic car owners who are willing to roll the dice. I'm not one of them and I don't believe that my position on this is unique.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Drive it...would be a winderful experience otherwise i orobably woukd follow the norm on a classic and have a specialty transport move it.

the furniture movers might be a good idea for more mundane vehicles.

a corvette id orobably pass on using furniture movers as well unless the vehicle is in pieces.

still my suggestion would be to drive it...that would be a trip for the record books and probsbly a lot of fun...
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Just as an FYI, there is a Sticky in the For Sale section that offers transportation help for forum members. I have carried some items for folks in the past. About to post one about a trip I have coming up and have room. Might help you out there. Good luck. David

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have a car that needs to ship East?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a car that needs to ship East?