C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel play

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Skivy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel play

I have a 73 coupe with 70,000 miles on her and I have about two inches of play in the wheel
have repacked wheel bearings put on new ball joint and new tires plus front end alignment
Whats next?
Old 09-22-2018, 12:36 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Ball joints and wheel bearings, wouldn't have much effect on play in the steering. The issue is more likely in the steering box, the steering column coupling (rag joint), or maybe the tie rod ends.

Check the condition of the leather in the column coupling. You can do this by having someone turn the wheel, while you watch the coupler. If there's play in the coupler, rebuild it, or replace it with a new one.

If the coupler is good, check the steering box for play. The steering box has some adjustment, but 2" is a fair amount of play. You can try adjusting the box, using the threaded adjuster in the top cover, but if there's that much play is in the box, I would suggest having it rebuilt, or exchanging it for a rebuilt one.

If you just had an alignment done, I would think that the shop that did it, would have noticed if the tie rod ends were bad?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:17 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Don't forget to check the idler arm for play also.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:46 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If the car has power steering the power steering control vale can also have excessive side to side play in it.

As for checking the steering coupling I do not just look at them; I put a towel in my left hand can grab the coupling. And with the steering wheel now being able to be turned I take my right hand and while holding the coupling so it can not move.. I turn the steering wheel back and forth an 'feel' the amount of play in the coupling.

Yes..as many couplings I have replaced I can often times just look at it adn know it is bad by how the thick rubber fabric disc looks..

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel play

Quick Reply: Steering wheel play