C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

427/390 Carb Install

Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 AM
66BBCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 117 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Default 427/390 Carb Install

Installing the correct dated carb on my 427/390 Coupe - noticed that the current gasket set up is manifold, then gasket, then thin steel plate,, then carb. The picture shows that set up plus another new gasket I placed sitting on top. Is the correct stock set up gasket first, then thin metal plate, then carb - period?
Thanks !

Old 09-23-2018, 10:19 AM
66BBCoupe
Burning Brakes

Further to my question - I looked at the 66 AIM page 167 and it had what appeared to be a small block picture indicating manifold to gasket to metal "baffle plate" to carb - so shall I assume that is the same for the 427 / 390 set up?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 10:28 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

You have it right, the stock gasket that sits on the manifold has a channel for the hot slot and the stainless shim sits on top of that to protect the carburetor from the exhaust and it radiates the heat to the carburetor base. This usually works fine as long as the carburetor bottom is flat.

Some add the top gasket to ensure a seal at the carburetor base and it does not hurt anything. If you decide to do this get a gasket with four correctly sized holes not the one size fits all that is shown.. Plus, on my engine I tapped the hot slot holes for small plugs and can keep the heat from the slot, be careful working over the holes on a assembled engine if you decide to do this. You can also wire the heat riser open and this will keep the manifold and carburetor base from getting to hot causing possible issues with ethonal gas, lots of info on this if you search.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 PM
66BBCoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tbarb
You have it right, the stock gasket that sits on the manifold has a channel for the hot slot and the stainless shim sits on top of that to protect the carburetor from the exhaust and it radiates the heat to the carburetor base. This usually works fine as long as the carburetor bottom is flat.

Some add the top gasket to ensure a seal at the carburetor base and it does not hurt anything. If you decide to do this get a gasket with four correctly sized holes not the one size fits all that is shown.. Plus, on my engine I tapped the hot slot holes for small plugs and can keep the heat from the slot, be careful working over the holes on a assembled engine if you decide to do this. You can also wire the heat riser open and this will keep the manifold and carburetor base from getting to hot causing possible issues with ethonal gas, lots of info on this if you search.
OK - thanks tbarb - I keep the factory gasket stack as described - worked well.

Get notified of new replies

To 427/390 Carb Install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 427/390 Carb Install