C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed-Engineering header and X-pipe full install

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 AM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speed-Engineering header and X-pipe full install

Hey guys I think this is my first post but this tech section has been a huge help for me the last few months and I wanted to give back. I wasn’t able to find any good write ups or videos outlining everything involved in installing this Speed Engineering header and x-pipe so I decided to do it all in video to help others out that may be thinking about doing it. I plan to do more installation videos in the future as well. Hope this helps and thank you to everyone here that’s done writeups in the sticky!

Last edited by Liltroy; 09-24-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Wrong link
Old 09-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

I just installed mine about a month ago. Zero issues with header fitment. I did have the Xpipe welded up. So far, 100% satisfied. My only con is the gas fumes with the catless. I'll check out your video tonight when I'm out of work,.
The following users liked this post:
Liltroy (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:55 PM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robrote
I just installed mine about a month ago. Zero issues with header fitment. I did have the Xpipe welded up. So far, 100% satisfied. My only con is the gas fumes with the catless. I'll check out your video tonight when I'm out of work,.
Yea brother those were probably the best fitting and easiest to install headers I've done in 20 years! I had read all kinds of stuff about having to jack the engine up and drop the starter and unbolt the steering shaft but none of it was true.
Mr. Black (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Liltroy
Yea brother those were probably the best fitting and easiest to install headers I've done in 20 years! I had read all kinds of stuff about having to jack the engine up and drop the starter and unbolt the steering shaft but none of it was true.
Just watched your vid. Good stuff. I had exactly the same experience. You got a new sub
Liltroy (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robrote
Just watched your vid. Good stuff. I had exactly the same experience. You got a new sub
Thanks brother. I appreciate that. Hopefully it helps some people out.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Funnest YouTube video in a while! Great! Will head over to YouTube for the thumbs up.
With some reports of flawless fit, and others of less than perfect fit, I wonder if there is a case of differing build quality, or development of better jigs over time.

Last edited by redzg; 09-24-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,135 Likes on 1,935 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hey Troy........

Absolutely love your channel and have been a subscriber for a while now. (Mrblack947 on youtubes)

Sometimes I may do things a little differently. I don't care though it doesn't matter. I love watching a channel where a dude just gets it done and overcomes any adversity. You have a great easy going spirit. Keep it up and keep cranking out some more videos.
Liltroy (02-16-2020)
Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

"holy sh*t it sounds like a f*ckin' race car!"
Liltroy (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 AM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
Hey Troy........

Absolutely love your channel and have been a subscriber for a while now. (Mrblack947 on youtubes)

Sometimes I may do things a little differently. I don't care though it doesn't matter. I love watching a channel where a dude just gets it done and overcomes any adversity. You have a great easy going spirit. Keep it up and keep cranking out some more videos.
Thanks brother!
Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 AM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neutron82
"holy sh*t it sounds like a f*ckin' race car!"
LOL...yea it was waaaay louder than the turbo C10 I built.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:11 PM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redzg
Funnest YouTube video in a while! Great! Will head over to YouTube for the thumbs up.
With some reports of flawless fit, and others of less than perfect fit, I wonder if there is a case of differing build quality, or development of better jigs over time.
I’m wondering the same. I’m also wondering if there are slight diffferences in the C5s from year to year that effect fitment. I know my drivers side header collector actually aims slightly upward and it causes the whole Xpipe to sit slightly crooked under the car. I actually mention that in the second video. Also someone commented on the video today that he was unable to just slide either side in without removing the steering shaft and that the collector in his passenger side was actually hitting inside the trans tunnel. So that makes me think that there may be jig issues OR there are slight differences in these cars from year to year or from manual to automatic that effects fitment. BUT it could be installation error as well. I can personally attest to trying for hours to install a part in the past and yelling and screaming that it doesn’t fit and then have a friend come over and twist it a certain way and it just bolts right on. I know it sounds rediculous but it does happen.....even to people that work on cars for a living. Lol
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Helpful video.
I have headers on but still like to watch other styles being installed.
I've already been watching your youtube ('54 Chev) channel and did not realize that was you.
Enjoy your work!
Liltroy (02-16-2020)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Liltroy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Route99
Helpful video.
I have headers on but still like to watch other styles being installed.
I've already been watching your youtube ('54 Chev) channel and did not realize that was you.
Enjoy your work!
thanks for watching brother. I’m just trying to have fun and help others out at the same time.

Get notified of new replies

To Speed-Engineering header and X-pipe full install

Quick Reply: Speed-Engineering header and X-pipe full install