Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petit Le Mans Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:16 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Petit Le Mans Suggestions

We're going to Petit for the first time this year (sad, lived in ATL for 6 years and this is first time in attendance....). My father is coming from the west coast, as well. He's had a bit of a rough 1.5 years, health wise, so I'd like to make this trip a bit more than the typical pro race outing. It's also his first time at Road Atlanta. Looing for advice on any "extras" that are available, especially with a Corvette bias.

I've been considering the Podium Club. The Porscheplatz sounds ideal, except for the fact that we'd be fraternizing with the enemy. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gerry
Old 09-24-2018, 03:29 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I'll be 100% honest here...so, no throwing flames. I attended petit every year, as well as the Corvette corral at several different racing venues over the years. The Corvette Corral is pretty crude compared to the Porsche offering, pretty much at every track I've been to. Corvette gets a tent on grass, frequently they quit adding drinks and snacks after the sun goes down (yet hours of racing left). I quit going to the Corvette Corral at Petit because I felt it was pretty poorly managed and maintained. AMG, Porsche and Audi all bring a pretty big presence to Petit, while Corvette just has the tent. To my surprise, I was just at the Laguna Seca race two weeks ago (can't make Petit this year, so went to Laguna) and the Chevrolet trailer didn't even show up, nor was Corvette Racing even selling apparel.

GM puts in minimal effort to their racing program, when it comes to the fans and it's a shame. Love the car, the brand, and the team but....GM marketing...ehhh...not a fan.

The good thing about Petit, versus a lot of other venues, is Petit is pretty much consolidated into two main areas. Top of the hill where the fan zone, all the corrals are, food, etc., then out the other end near turn 7 (great viewing corner, very close, don't miss it and take the SHUTTLE! Shuttles run back and forth all day, they are very convenient. Lastly, there is the paddock, but it's a BIG downhill (and subsequent uphill walk) but it isn't to be missed. You can get SUPER close to the pit crew during the race...closer than any track I've attended actually.

For the mostpart, just get in a corral, regardless which one it is. It gives you a place to sit, grab a drink and eat your food (food trucks and vendors are right nearby both Porsche and Corvette corrals.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 09-24-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:14 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

A friend went to Petit for the first time in '16 and stayed in the Audi hospitality area. He very much enjoyed it. If you want to do something extra in that way I would agree with the post above.

A golf cart if it does not come with the hospitality package would be a very nice investment. The hills at Road Atlanta can make even the younger guys hurt the next day. If he has been down on his health, walking may not be possible. Get out and enjoy the track. Road Atlanta has some nice viewing points. Golf carts are easier to move around in than cars, and race day traffic can be heavy. Thursday night practice if you haven't been is worth going to.

I have not sprung for anything more than a Corvette Corral ticket which has been over a decade ago but thanks to friends I have had Corvette Corral wrest bands in the past few years. I typically buy a general admission ticket. I would ask some questions about the Porsche Platz and verify your tickets gets in their air conditioned hospitality area. I believe the podium club is on the outside of Turn 11/12 which is a good viewing area and a short walk to 10A/B which is a fun braking area especially at night.

Last edited by 93Polo; 09-24-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by hanseng1
We're going to Petit for the first time this year (sad, lived in ATL for 6 years and this is first time in attendance....). My father is coming from the west coast, as well. He's had a bit of a rough 1.5 years, health wise, so I'd like to make this trip a bit more than the typical pro race outing. It's also his first time at Road Atlanta. Looing for advice on any "extras" that are available, especially with a Corvette bias.

I've been considering the Podium Club. The Porscheplatz sounds ideal, except for the fact that we'd be fraternizing with the enemy. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Gerry
Porscheplatz is awesome, but the corvette Corral is nice too. Porscheplatz has a way better view of the track, some of the guys that show up there can be a bit of jerks but they're overall nice guys.

The days before the race has some cool stuff. Meet and greets and supporting races. Some of them are really cool. I think they do a parade lap on the track too, if you've never raced the track, it's a nice experience.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:47 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Pack light, prepared for rain, walk the course, dont sit in one place, go the day before to see cars up close in garages. Extra batteries for phone, radio Lemans.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks,
Gerry
If he currently has, or if he can get and bring a "Handicapped" Parking permit (the blue thing that hangs on the rear view mirror), bring that. That gets you free parking anywhere (you don't have to buy a parking pass), and also access to some really good handicapped parking areas that nobody else can park in. One of those is in the paddock, on the inside of turn one, which saves you from walking up and down the really big hills.

Don't miss the Thursday night practice session. It gives you a flavor for the night racing. I also try to make the qualifying sessions.

Oh, and arrive very early on Saturday. Park at that turn one paddock handicap area if you can, and do the grid walk.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 09-24-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
If he currently has, or if he can get and bring a "Handicapped" Parking permit (the blue thing that hangs on the rear view mirror), bring that. That gets you free parking anywhere (you don't have to buy a parking pass), and also access to some really good handicapped parking areas that nobody else can park in. One of those is in the paddock, on the inside of turn one, which saves you from walking up and down the really big hills.

Don't miss the Thursday night practice session. It gives you a flavor for the night racing. I also try to make the qualifying sessions.

Oh, and arrive very early on Saturday. Park at that turn one paddock handicap area if you can, and do the grid walk.
Good to know on the handicapped permit.

Also if you are walking the easiest way to walk from one end of the track to the other with the least elevation change is to walk down the outside of the back stretch and use the walk over bridge in turn 8.

The entrances to 6 and 10A are the best braking spots at night.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:58 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

There's more than just snacks in the Corvette tent. On the days before the race the racing team is usually there. They have auctions. The drivers give autographs. Doug Fehan is usually there to discuss what's going on with the team and questions are answered about new models. I missed last year but I can't believe it's changed that much. They also have a corvette parade lap you can sign up for. Keep in mind on race day most of these activities are over. I also just enjoy the Corvette enthusiast turn out of cars from all over the country.

Last edited by pjazz; 09-25-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:14 AM
hanseng1
Advanced

Thanks all for the suggestions. What I was hoping for was the Porscheplatz experience with the Corvette theme. I was at the Lonestar at COTA a couple years ago. Audi and others had big hospitality suites, but Corvette was missing there as well.

Not sure about handicap tag. He had two major surgeries, one of which was this spring and actually helped mobility, but endurance is my main concern. I’m pretty fit, and the walk from T3 to T5 in the heat wears me out. Don’t think he can handle a full day of that.

Looks like we’ll have to go the Porscheplatz route, especially since the Corvette Corral is sold out.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks all for the suggestions. What I was hoping for was the Porscheplatz experience with the Corvette theme. I was at the Lonestar at COTA a couple years ago. Audi and others had big hospitality suites, but Corvette was missing there as well.

Not sure about handicap tag. He had two major surgeries, one of which was this spring and actually helped mobility, but endurance is my main concern. I’m pretty fit, and the walk from T3 to T5 in the heat wears me out. Don’t think he can handle a full day of that.

Looks like we’ll have to go the Porscheplatz route, especially since the Corvette Corral is sold out.

Thanks again for the advice.
He can (should) ask his doctor for a temporary one, for the trip, "just in case." At worst, the Doc says "No" and you go from there. If he can get one, it's really great to have.

The following users liked this post:
08velocity (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:54 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Last time I went, I took the Cayenne and stayed at the Porscheplatz. Its a great view of the track, tent did not have AC (didnt need it when i was there) but it was a nicer tent overall. Free water bottles. The back deck looks down on the race track and gives a good view.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:20 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I was in the paddock area with a friend who just had surgery. I flagged down someone driving a cart and they had no problem giving us a ride up the hill.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
He can (should) ask his doctor for a temporary one, for the trip, "just in case." At worst, the Doc says "No" and you go from there. If he can get one, it's really great to have.
If you have a handicap pass and rent a golf cart, the handicap pass will allow you and your golf cart access to all areas. Including the paddock.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 PM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

They have good shuttles, the hills are murder to walk up and down after a day or so
Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

Anyone know the difference between the expensive Porscheplatz tickets and what you get as a PCA member or car owner? One additional option would be general admission tickets and a golf cart rental. My wife and I are PCA members and that gets us access, and perhaps he can use my wife's Cayenne key for entry. But, I don't know what the delta is between the "free" access and the one you pay $550 a head for.

Not sure he'll have the time to go attempt to get a handicap tag before he leaves. If not, either a cart rental or access to a hospitality suite will be mandatory. The hill to/from the pro paddock, or the hike from T3 to T5, is brutal to do once. Can't imagine he'll last making a long weekend of it...….

Again, appreciate all the suggestions. This helps a ton.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:10 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

This is a full, in depth video/view of Petit Lemans and some up close when Corvette won the championship. I am rebooting my entire youtube channel so I am re-uploading a lot of finished videos. Watch the vid, it'll give you much insight into the layout, the paddock, the corral locations, etc. Plus Corvette Racing took my girlfriends camera and shot a pit stop as close as you can shoot one...lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Petit Le Mans Suggestions

Quick Reply: Petit Le Mans Suggestions