C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service column lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM
finfan88
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Service column lock issue

I have 2005 C6 Corvette convertible 6sp manual. I purchased the column lock Eliminator but I can't get the column to unlock before I install the eliminator. I've done exactly what instructions say and per video. After removing instruments cluster with car on then press accessory mode but steering wheel will not unlock.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

If the column lock failed in the locked position the eliminator will not resolve your problem. The eliminator is designed as a preventative fix or if the module fails in the unlocked position causing DIC and a no start condition. You will more than likely have to replace the column lock motor and then install the eliminator to avoid a recurring issue.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:04 PM
finfan88
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shikaitsu
If the column lock failed in the locked position the eliminator will not resolve your problem. The eliminator is designed as a preventative fix or if the module fails in the unlocked position causing DIC and a no start condition. You will more than likely have to replace the column lock motor and then install the eliminator to avoid a recurring issue.
Sometimes the column will unlock if I jiggle wheel so that tells me unlock motor still works.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:09 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by finfan88
Sometimes the column will unlock if I jiggle wheel so that tells me unlock motor still works.
You need to unplug the lock motor while it is in the unlock position which can be a tricky task. Especially if you bump the wheel with you legs and lock it inadvertently. Once you unplug the motor and install the bypass it should work as designed.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Sometimes a sharp rap on the wheel will unlock it

Clif
Old 09-24-2018, 11:59 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Need to jump out the steering lock connector (the one you unplugged) with 12 volts from the battery to unlock the steering lock at the wheel. Hence normaly you wait unit the SCLM has unlocked the steering before you pull the connector, but some times the SCLM is not putting out enough power to unlock the lock via the motor isntead.
To add here, some times the cable to the motor is broken, and you have to pull the steering lock to pull it apart hand crank the motor in it to pull the locking pin back inside the housing instead!!!!! But if not a broken cable problem, the jump trick below puts enough power to the lock motor to over comes the binding drive gear in it instead.

With the plug end connectors facing you and unplugged from the SCLM, the lock tab upwards, need to apply 12 volts to the let top and left bottom plugs.
Go to post 77,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mn-lock-4.html

Last edited by Dano523; 09-25-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Service column lock issue

Quick Reply: Service column lock issue