C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY new shocks ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:04 PM
roperin
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY new shocks ?

2005 Base Coupe 60K mileage, recomendations for shocks and can i do it myself?
Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to research this yourself...
Old 09-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by roperin
You'll get as many recommendations as there are brands on the market. You need to do your own research based upon your style of driving; any suspension mods; & your pocketbook. You can start with Koni's or Bilstein's (or AC Delco's) & not go wrong, but do your research.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM
roperin
Heel & Toe

Default Replacement shocks

Originally Posted by Dave S
You'll get as many recommendations as there are brands on the market. You need to do your own research based upon your style of driving; any suspension mods; & your pocketbook. You can start with Koni's or Bilstein's (or AC Delco's) & not go wrong, but do your research.
I have tried to do my own research, and I thought the Bilsteins might be the way to go, but I thought someone might have some advice, Thanks for the Comment.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:52 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Bilsteins B6's will be your best replacement for the OEM shocks on the base C6.
The B8's will produce a slightly stiffer ride, and are the replacement shocks for Z51 and Z06 oem shocks instead.
As for B8's, if for track use, then DRM shocks, since they are re-vavled B8 shocks that do better on the z06/rack cars than the B8's

Also, the Koni FSD is a good shock as well for the Z51 option cars since they do better in light off camber surface chop, but will have that stiffer B8 ride isntead.

Don't go with KYB's, since none of us have a clue how they can up with the dampening on those shocks for a Vet to start with (its just wrong is so many ways, it not funny).

Now if your looking for better handling that what the base came with (and have summer perfomace tires on the car with added grip), then FE3 front spring swap, swap the sways to Z51 option sway bars, and either Koni FSD for street use, or DRM for track use.
Note, on the Z51 Fe3 front spring, there are two different ones. Hence one for auto trans, and one for manual trans cars. The one for the auto trans is slightly stiffer, and comes in handy on manual cars that someone installed a super charger and just tacked on 100lbs more to the front of the car.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:07 AM
roperin
Heel & Toe

Thank You very much, that's exactly the way i was deciding to go, B6 Bilsteins.

Bob Leslie
Old 09-25-2018, 02:40 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by roperin
Yep. Pretty easy to change yourself. Did mine not long ago. The Bilsteins are great. the revised Z06 shocks are fairly affordable as well, but will make it a bit firmer of course. If I remember correctly you need a special socket to tighten them down. Cost me ~$10 at NAPA. Shouldn't take you more than a few hours

Get notified of new replies

To DIY new shocks ?

Quick Reply: DIY new shocks ?