C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Power steering conversion big block '66

Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 PM
microvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power steering conversion big block '66

I see posts on small block Borgeson unit power steering conversions....but none so far on a '66 big block manual to power steering conversion. Any input or experiences with this conversion or sources for parts, kits? I have stock exhaust manifolds.
Thanks!

Last edited by microvette; 09-24-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:56 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

How stock are you wanting? I'd just install a Borgeson setup. Works great....

JIM
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM
microvette
Instructor

Borgeson seems to be the way to go, better than stock configuration. Where did you buy your parts and or kit. My car has manual steering so I'll also need the water pump and carnk pulleys.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The factory system works just fine. It’s all in what you want Do you want it to drive like a old car or new Your choice
Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

I agree, the factory system works just fine and it will bolt right up without changing other conponits.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 PM
microvette
Instructor

Even though the Borgeson box is probably a better performer I'm leaning toward original configuration as it is necessary to cut 2.5" off the steering column shaft to make the Borgeson box fit.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM
rccarson
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

The stock set up works fine. Just be ready to fix the leaking seal every second year. If I was to do it again I would go Borgeson.
RC
Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by microvette
Even though the Borgeson box is probably a better performer I'm leaning toward original configuration as it is necessary to cut 2.5" off the steering column shaft to make the Borgeson box fit.
Good choice, I've rebuilt multiple original systems and once done CORRECTLY, there were never any leaks and you don't have to chop up your original column. If you do a search, the Borgeson set up is not without problems of its own.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rccarson
The stock set up works fine. Just be ready to fix the leaking seal every second year. If I was to do it again I would go Borgeson.
RC
the one on my dads car is going on five years with no leaks
Old 09-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Last I read, Borgeson''s box is a rebuilt Delphi product. Uses a stock GM pump. No drilling, no filling, no welding. Conversion from manual steering even uses the factory drag link, tie rods and idler arm. No change in steering geometry. It IS a stock system. If the choice was whether to swap out factory PS for Borgeson, that would be another matter.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Avispa
Last I read, Borgeson''s box is a rebuilt Delphi product. Uses a stock GM pump. No drilling, no filling, no welding. Conversion from manual steering even uses the factory drag link, tie rods and idler arm. No change in steering geometry. It IS a stock system. If the choice was whether to swap out factory PS for Borgeson, that would be another matter.
so why do so many come on here and have trouble with the boxes not lining up and breaking rag joints?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:14 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

ZERO problems with the Borgeson conversion in my 67 Fits perfectly works great! The box is MUCH more responsive than the stock GM set up.

If if you want to have your car judged use the factory set up. If you want to enjoy driving it I highly recommend the Borgeson conversion.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 09-25-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I got mine from Borgeson directly. It's been on my car for 7-8 years now I think. Not a leak or drip...and I routinely spin the engine 7500-8000 RPM. I'm actually amazed the old style PS pump is still alive...but not one single issue. My pulley arrangement is sort of a hybrid deal that mirrors C3 type stuff sort of. The pump runs off the crank, the alternator is mounted to left head (BBC) with one of the GM iron brackets like Chevelle's/Camaro's etc used. The alternator runs off the PS pump using the 2 groove pulley Borgeson supplied. The pump mounts using one of the "horseshoe" cradle type brackets like Camaro's/Chevelle's used for many years. In fact just about everything mounted that way. I modified a support/adjuster bracket from Borgeson to fit. Never had a belt come off yet even at that RPM range.

I used the u-joint connection instead of rag joint. Primarily due to clearance around headers...which really helped when I stuffed a turbo right in that area.

Not sure why cutting the steering shaft bothers so many folks. First....you'll never go back stock...so it will stay that way. Second...the shafts are readily available and easy to change if you ever did want to go back.
There apparently were some pitman arms with the splines machined weird that messed up some folks. I had one at first. Worked OK but right/left turning radius was different. They supplied me a different arm way back when that took care of the issue...so I assume that's a non-issue these days.

Anyway, to me it's a much cleaner install and nicer driving arrangement.

JIM
Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 1snake
Good choice, I've rebuilt multiple original systems and once done CORRECTLY, there were never any leaks and you don't have to chop up your original column. If you do a search, the Borgeson set up is not without problems of its own.

You have to pick your battles.
If you are a stock kind of guy like me I like to keep them either stock or with stealth upgrades. I have never found anything wrong with the original C2 power steering.
I HAVE done some upgrades to my 57 that I was reluctant to do such as convert from a generator to a alternator and aftermarket no dash cut sound system however they are both easily reversible. I am considering putting electric power steering on my 57 which is not so easily reversible since you have to cut the steering column. I will probable do because in my opinion it is both a convenience and safety upgrade as it is easy to get you arms/hands crossed up during fast steering. But I would NEVER put aftermarket steering on a C2 when there is a perfectly good factory system available.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:13 AM
uvettcha
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi

You have to pick your battles.
If you are a stock kind of guy like me I like to keep them either stock or with stealth upgrades. I have never found anything wrong with the original C2 power steering.
I HAVE done some upgrades to my 57 that I was reluctant to do such as convert from a generator to a alternator and aftermarket no dash cut sound system however they are both easily reversible. I am considering putting electric power steering on my 57 which is not so easily reversible since you have to cut the steering column. I will probable do because in my opinion it is both a convenience and safety upgrade as it is easy to get you arms/hands crossed up during fast steering. But I would NEVER put aftermarket steering on a C2 when there is a perfectly good factory system available.

I agree , i got almost 20 thats right 20 years out of my stock ps before i had the slave cyl. and control valve started leaking......replaced everything with new again
,,,,,the pump was still ok........sooo we shall see.........Bill
Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 AM
Egryexz34
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I dont have anything against surplus parts as long as it can be tested and returned if found "defective" within a few days or weeks. But i prefer new parts - its more safly for us. If u wana change your steering pump i know the best people for this https://www.steeringlpsr.com/
They did for me a lot difrient jobs and i'm so glad from cooperation
Old 05-15-2021, 01:17 PM
jmthomas
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
ZERO problems with the Borgeson conversion in my 67 Fits perfectly works great! The box is MUCH more responsive than the stock GM set up.

If if you want to have your car judged use the factory set up. If you want to enjoy driving it I highly recommend the Borgeson conversion.

did you pull your steering column
jt
Old 05-16-2021, 11:48 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jmthomas
did you pull your steering column
jt
No. Just the shaft to shorten it on my 64. If you have a 67 with collapsible column there’s no need to shorten the shaft. Some guys have cut the shaft with a cutting wheel or sawsall while still in the car but I chose not to.

Last edited by dkleather; 05-16-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering conversion big block '66

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Power steering conversion big block '66