C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette Authenticator In SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM
eric lipper
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Corvette Authenticator In SoCal

I am headed to SoCal on Friday to look at a Silver/Black 1963 SWC at GMDOWNUNDER. I am pretty sure that the car is the real deal with factory AC given its option list PS, PB, PW, Powerglide and the fact that the Seller has lots of original documents, title transfer documents, and photos for when he pulled it out of the garage after long term storage. You can see that the AC vent and compressor were there before the restoration started. There is also a photo of the frame vin when the body was off that he intentionally preserved in a blasted area under clear when they painted the rest of the frame so we can confirm the Vin Tag to the frame. If anyone knows of someone qualified who can verify that the car is the real deal then I would be happy to engage them. I do know that the car has a reproduction interior, new gas door, emblems, and reproduction wheels along with several other items. I know that the car has a Wix Oil Filter and, oddly enough, a dent in the crossmember under the harmonic balancer despite a heavy restoration. All that I really care about is (a) whether it truly is a factory AC car; (b) whether the engine stamp is genuine (looked real to me and is right for an automatic car); and (c) whether the trim tag is authentic (seller says it was never off the car during the restoration and has pics before and after). I checked it and the Trim Tag date and the Vin line up perfectly. I am plenty competent to inspect everything else so its not too much of an inspection.

Last edited by eric lipper; 10-01-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: This is out of hand
Old 09-25-2018, 03:32 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Eric, the lower a-arms are not 63s; they are from a later year. The broach marks are so clean; how did they do that after over 50 years? Really nice clean chassis.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:34 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm not sure that I "buy-in" to the concept of a block cast April 8th floating around Flint until July 2nd waiting to be assembled. Shocks should be black, not gray.

Last edited by desertpilgrim; 09-25-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:27 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Eric, that is a "matching numbers" cylinder case. It is probably not, however, the one this car left the factory with.

The AC looks like it could be legit.

I live not too far from there. PM me if you want another set of eyes on the car.

Last edited by SW Vette; 09-25-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added quotation marks
Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jbmcrae
Eric, the lower a-arms are not 63s; they are from a later year. The broach marks are so clean; how did they do that after over 50 years? Really nice clean chassis.
In addition, ball joints are bolted and not riveted-in. I do not believe that pad could be original. Looks like a fresh broaching to me.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:39 PM
macster
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I could be wrong but weren't there two types of lower A-arms used on 63s. Early w/o reinforcements and late w/ reinforcements. This is a late 63 built in July so it should have the ones w/ reinforcements. I agree with the broach marks being too clean and this possibly being a "numbers matching" block since it was cast April 8, 63 but doubtful its the OE block. Nice rare car though.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Arms

A July 63 built car could easily have the lower control arms with reinforcements like this one has.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 PM
eric lipper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boyan
A July 63 built car could easily have the lower control arms with reinforcements like this one has.
It is VIN 119120 so it was pretty far down.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boyan
My July 16 63 does not have the reinforcements; the reason for my comments. Did not know they could be either way. Is that in the judging manual?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:06 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

My July 16 63 does not have the reinforcements; the reason for my comments. Did not know they could be either way. Is that in the judging manual?
Mistake there, mines July 11, this one’s July 9.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Default Reinforcement

I dont know if its in the latest manual, but it was in previous ones. I have seen Original July cars with both.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 PM
Rick Gower
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
I'm not sure that I "buy-in" to the concept of a block cast April 8th floating around Flint until July 2nd waiting to be assembled. Shocks should be black, not gray.
I agree it would be very unusual for the large time span between block casting and assembly.
Rick
Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 PM
eric lipper
Instructor

Thanks for everyone's comments. I hired a guy named Jeff Hyman to authenticate the car after I get a good look at it. Although the casting date versus the production date is a real question we have pics that show this stamp on the engine when it was removed. Based upon the engine as removed I feel pretty comfortable that it will be legit. With that said, if it ain't then its off to the next Vette. I have also learned over the last months that there is no need to be in a rush because none of the six figure cars are really moving.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Default Inspection

Just make sure he is very familiar with the uniqueness of 63 AC cars. Mounting brackets are different than other years, air cleaner, inside vent mounting....etc.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:02 AM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The "before" pictures have the oil fill tube towards the passenger side, the "restored" picture has the fill tube towards the driver side. Something was changed. The tach red line in the "before" would be correct for the restored version but no pictures of that tach red line.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:10 AM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Originally Posted by eric lipper
Thanks for everyone's comments. I hired a guy named Jeff Hyman to authenticate the car after I get a good look at it. Although the casting date versus the production date is a real question we have pics that show this stamp on the engine when it was removed. Based upon the engine as removed I feel pretty comfortable that it will be legit. With that said, if it ain't then its off to the next Vette. I have also learned over the last months that there is no need to be in a rush because none of the six figure cars are really moving.
Which means the "restoration motor" was installed in the '80s or '90s, before the restoration of the car was done.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Automatic? That would be a deal breaker for me. The stamp looks too good for it’s age.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Authenticator In SoCal

Old 09-26-2018, 09:19 AM
eric lipper
Instructor

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Which means the "restoration motor" was installed in the '80s or '90s, before the restoration of the car was done.
That could be a possibility that it was a restoration motor but given the detail on this car I doubt it. It does give me concern why an engine would be cast in April and not installed until July. My bet is that the stamp is correct and the car totally legit simply because, according to the Seller, the car sat in a back yard in Burbank for nearly 30 years. Of course the fact that its valve covers and intake manifold had been changed at some point prior to restoration certainly proves that the car was not as delivered. If it is a restamp then there is no way that I am buying this car but the Seller says he is certain that it isn't he is an NCRS Judge. Jeff Hyman (the inspector that I hired) thinks the stamp looks legit as well but he has not yet seen it in person. Will let everyone know what I see on Friday.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by eric lipper
That could be a possibility that it was a restoration motor but given the detail on this car I doubt it. It does give me concern why an engine would be cast in April and not installed until July. My bet is that the stamp is correct and the car totally legit simply because, according to the Seller, the car sat in a back yard in Burbank for nearly 30 years. Of course the fact that its valve covers and intake manifold had been changed at some point prior to restoration certainly proves that the car was not as delivered. If it is a restamp then there is no way that I am buying this car but the Seller says he is certain that it isn't he is an NCRS Judge. Jeff Hyman (the inspector that I hired) thinks the stamp looks legit as well but he has not yet seen it in person. Will let everyone know what I see on Friday.
If he's that certain then I'm sure he wouldn't mind having CCAS/Al Grenning take a look. You could offer to pay (only $50 if it isn't real).
Old 09-26-2018, 09:47 AM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

It's NOT that the engine was "installed" in July - it's that it was "ASSEMBLED" in July. Which hall closet held the block for 2 1/2 months? What are the dates of the heads?

Quick Reply: Corvette Authenticator In SoCal