Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Low voltage; fixes itself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Low voltage; fixes itself?

As an FYI, I have this posted in the C6 Tech section also.

This is one I've never seen, and I did a search, but I couldn't find an issue like this one.
  1. I'm out driving the car around, and I get a charging system fault message.
  2. I watch the voltage on the DIC slowly drop from ~12 volts (normally sits at 13 to 14 volts) all the way to 10.5 volts
  3. No odd behavior otherwise - stereo is still working, A/C running
  4. I drop down a gear, thinking maybe it just needs more rpm - no change
  5. I'm driving for ~10 minutes this way, hoping I can make it home to investigate.
  6. Just before turning into my subdivision, I give it a quick rev to ~6000 rpm
  7. Voltage rapidly climbs to ~13 volts, then slowly up to its normal ~14 volts
  8. I shut it down, immediately start it back up (no issues, like normal) and voltage is rock solid at ~14 vdc
WTF ?!?!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Had the same issue with a brand new Mechman alternator. Would stay down around 11V and randomly return to normal and then back down again. Sent back to Mechman and they replaced the regulator and brushes.

Last edited by Patriot Six; 09-25-2018 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nuke61 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

It's likely the alternator or the connections at the alternator. Make sure the bolt holding the wire in place didn't loosen and that the wires appear in tact and not broken/frayed. If that all looks good then the alternator itself probably **** the bed. I've replaced mine more times than I can count and actually carry a spare one with me to the track. Simple procedure that takes about 15 minutes.
nuke61 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

I just had my 2011 ZR1 alternator replaced at 46k miles. New battery was installed last December and then again with the alternator replacement yesterday. No problems with engine startups. Was within 3 miles of home from the office one hot afternoon last week when the AC suddenly started blowing hot air. Then various system fault alerts started showing up on the DIC or dash such as Shocks Inoperative, Air Bag System not ready, Low Voltage, etc. I brought up the Voltage on the DIC and it was running less than 9.0 volts so I knew I was in trouble and running on battery electrical only. I turned off all of the unnecessary electrical loads. I got home with the DIC at 8.2 volts. The battery charged back up overnight with my 10 amp charger and started the car just fine but the system voltage was only about 11.7 volts while driving with no AC or radio so I was pretty sure the charging system output was well below spec. First electrical failure of an alternator in my 50 years of car ownerships. All covered with my GMPP and battery warranties.

Last edited by GOLD72; 09-26-2018 at 07:25 AM.
nuke61 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:29 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Thanks for the all the input Early this morning it did the same thing - started right up, volts at 14 or so, stopped at a gas station, when I restarted it was at 12 vdc and dropping, so I went back home and got the other car to drive to work. Oh, I checked the alternator cable for tightness, good to go. I disconnected/reconnected the L/F/A 4-pin connector a few times to wipe the contacts, so I'm going with bad alternator @80k miles, its entire life in the Phoenix metro area.

I called Mechman today to ask if they had any alternators for an LS7 lying around (that's what their website suggested in a rush) but was redirected by Josh at Mechman to Bret Bradbury, aka Blownbluez06, because Brett specializes in late model Corvettes, and keeps the basic Mechman alternators in stock. Nothing special, machined finish, 170 amps - it should be on its way later today.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Brett is great to work with and is who I got my Mechman from. I also got his bypass cable.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It might also be helpful to check/clean the ground connection on the engine block near the starter and to check the cables on the starter for corrosion or head damage. I agree with the others that it's probably a dead alternator (I'm on my 2nd parts store version) but these connections can also cause charging issues.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:59 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Patriot Six;1598054344I
also got his bypass cable.
Yeah, I bought the bypass cable too. The price was too close to what it would cost me to do it myself, that that would be without a hydraulic press connector.

Dale1999, the bypass cable apparently goes from the alternator output directly to the power block on the passenger side. Much better current capacity than stock.

Last edited by nuke61; 09-27-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:20 AM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I’m not sure, I don’t have my ZR1 manual with me, but there may be a relay that applies exciter voltage to the alternator. If so, I would swap with a similar relay and see what happens.

Ed
Old 09-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Edmlaser
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Had this exact same thing happen to me. And, It happened to a friend of mine.
It was the STARTER in both of our cars! The connection from the alternator to the battery is connected on the starter. That connection was chard and melted causing all kinds of voltage issues that would come and go.

Last edited by Edmlaser; 09-27-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Bret is amazing. Was going to offer to let you borrow my mm to see if you like it.
nuke61 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 01:18 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edmlaser
It was the STARTER in both of our cars! The connection from the alternator to the battery is connected on the starter. That connection was chard and melted causing all kinds of voltage issues that would come and go.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that too.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:27 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
Bret is amazing. Was going to offer to let you borrow my mm to see if you like it.
Thanks for the potential offer :-)

For the extra $100 or so over an OEM type replacement, it seemed like a no-brainer to go MM, with their tighter tolerance parts, 6 phase instead of 3 phase wiring, for efficiency - and Brett said that while its not perfect, and still breaks, the MM stuff is much better than anybody else's stuff. I also appreciated that he does high current D.C. work for his daytime job, and looked at the Corvette in terms of failure points. In the 20 minutes that I talked with him, it was clear to me that he has a deep knowledge of the Corvette electrical system, it's weaknesses and fixes.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:55 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edmlaser

Had the exact same issue just recently. Same symptoms. Replaced starter and also bought a cable to run directly from alt to the terminal on the fuse block.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:06 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I just had my 2011 ZR1 alternator replaced at 46k miles. New battery was installed last December and then again with the alternator replacement yesterday. No problems with engine startups. Was within 3 miles of home from the office one hot afternoon last week when the AC suddenly started blowing hot air. Then various system fault alerts started showing up on the DIC or dash such as Shocks Inoperative, Air Bag System not ready, Low Voltage, etc. I brought up the Voltage on the DIC and it was running less than 9.0 volts so I knew I was in trouble and running on battery electrical only. I turned off all of the unnecessary electrical loads. I got home with the DIC at 8.2 volts. The battery charged back up overnight with my 10 amp charger and started the car just fine but the system voltage was only about 11.7 volts while driving with no AC or radio so I was pretty sure the charging system output was well below spec. First electrical failure of an alternator in my 50 years of car ownerships. All covered with my GMPP and battery warranties.
Well after 1-1/2 commuting trips to the office this week with no further issues, the engine refused to start yesterday afternoon in the office parking garage. One click of the starter solenoid bendix and that was all I could ever get with each start try. Office buddy couldn't jump start it either with his truck. Then AAA showed with no success either. By that time, I had the previous dealership send a flatbed to come get the car from across town during rush hour. Obviously what is wrong with it wasn't the alternator and/or battery. Now thinking a bad connection that the dealership didn't look for last week like the starter positive cable connection. There were closer dealerships but I didn't want to get them involved since my local neighborhood dealer dealt with this issue just last week and they should stay on it. Took 3-1/2 hours before I was on the way to the dealership in the flatbed. Plus I had to get help to push the car out of the office garage from the 2nd floor since the flatbed driver warned me the hour before arrival that he couldn't get it inside the garage due overhead clearance.

Last edited by GOLD72; 10-03-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Could always just bump-start it....or is this no longer an acceptable thing in society lol
Old 10-03-2018, 04:17 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Could always just bump-start it....or is this no longer an acceptable thing in society lol
On a serious note, can these cars be started by getting it rolling downhill with the ignition on and then momentarily dumping the clutch to get the rear wheels to spin the engine?? I did that with several cars decades ago when they still had carburetors and distributors. I am thinking not since the fuel and spark is all ECM controlled now and fuel and spark may not be applied unless the normal starting sequence is being accomplished. Also seems like some have said no on this forum as well over the years.

Last edited by GOLD72; 10-03-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Low voltage; fixes itself?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Yes. Just did it recently when my starter died.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Yes you can! I was being serious

Originally Posted by GOLD72
On a serious note, can these cars be started by getting it rolling downhill with the ignition on and then momentarily dumping the clutch to get the rear wheels to spin the engine?? I did that with several cars decades ago when they still had carburetors and distributors. I am thinking not since the fuel and spark is all ECM controlled now and fuel and spark may not be applied unless the normal starting sequence is being accomplished. Also seems like some have said no on this forum as well over the years.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:14 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Yes you can! I was being serious
Well, I think the starter was the issue all along, because I went out for a drive after starting the car without any issues, and it would not start at the store parking lot. Just a single 'CLICK' and that was it. Battery voltage was good at ~13 volts, but just one solid 'CLICK' and nothing. Had it towed home, and when I rolled it off the flatbed, I stuck it in reverse and bump started it so I could drive it into my garage and onto the ramps. I'll be taking a look at it this weekend.

Quick Reply: Low voltage; fixes itself?