C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Which Way to Adjust Window?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:03 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Which Way to Adjust Window?

I recently replaced my weatherstripping, and ever since, I've had water leaking in and dripping on my driver side footwell speaker. This is clearly not great for my speaker, so I need to fix it before winter gets here. Today I took a look, and I think I figured out the problem. Water is getting past the weatherstripping, dripping into the A-pillar trim, and running down and dripping out directly above the footwell speaker.

It seems like I need to adjust my window to make it mate with the weatherstripping better, but I'm not sure exactly which direction it needs to be adjusted. It almost seems like the whole window needs to move forward a bit, but I'm concerned about that messing up the seal on the rear.

I rolled up a receipt in the window, and it seemed like there was good contact between the window and weatherstripping nearly everywhere except at the spot that's leaking, where there was no resistance at all, and at the rear of the window, where there was only light resistance.

Here are a couple pictures to show you what I'm talking about:

Leaking spot shown here. Notice the gap between window and weatherstrip toward the right.

Rear of the window. It seems like it lines up pretty well here, so I'm not sure about adjusting it.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 10-05-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:01 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When you run the window up watch carefully as it comes in contact with all the weatherstrip. I'm guessing that the window is not coming up with the top parallel with the top WS.

Looks like dropping the front of the window would tilt the top forward.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:06 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65Z01
When you run the window up watch carefully as it comes in contact with all the weatherstrip. I'm guessing that the window is not coming up with the top parallel with the top WS.

Looks like dropping the front of the window would tilt the top forward.
Thanks, here's a picture with the window a hair from the top - it does look like the front might be a little high. To fix that, I would just lower the front stop a bit, right? Or it seems like I might have to raise the rear a little as well to keep the overall height right?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:22 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Looks to me like there is a wedge-shaped gap rear to front. Dropping the front will move the front top forward as well as down, not sure how that will effect the rear side sealing though.
You could try dropping the front and then raising the rear to see which gives the best overall seal.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:25 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Looks to me like there is a wedge-shaped gap rear to front. Dropping the front will move the front top forward as well as down, not sure how that will effect the rear side sealing though.
You could try dropping the front and then raising the rear to see which gives the best overall seal.
I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning and post back after a leak test. Do you see any reason I'd need to mess with the adjustment to tilt the window in and out?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm no expert on C4 window adjusting but I do know that once you get a good seal when you roll the window up and down you also need a good seal while closing the door with the window up. Make small adjustments and test both ways. New window sweeps can help also. Good luck. You can look at the FSM for help but practice adjustment makes perfect.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:50 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

What a pain in the butt. I've been at it for hours with no improvement.

I lowered the front as far as it would go (which was only about 1/2", unless I'm looking at the wrong adjustment), and that didn't seem to do anything. If anything, it made it seal worse. The back was about as high as it would go, but I played with that too. Lowering the back just made the rear alignment with the B-pillar awful, and it also seemed to make the front seal worse.

It's like the curvature of the window is just wrong, or the entire window needs to move inward. I've read there's a in/out tilt adjustment, and it seems like tilting the window inward might help, but the top edge is already pretty firmly pressed into the weatherstripping. I even took the top off to make sure it wasn't somehow compressing the A-pillar weatherstripping to prevent proper positioning.

Judging from all the broken electrical connectors, it seems like the previous owner or his mechanic were in here at one point. I'm wondering if they adjusted the window in its frame to mess up the alignment. I've heard that adjustment can take all day, so I'm really hoping that's not it.

Here are some pictures. Please help!

Alignment seems pretty good here the way I have it adjusted. Moving the rear down brings the top edge closer to the pillar, which is clearly not right.

Top of the gap in the weatherstripping. From the inside, you can see daylight through the crack.

Bottom of the gap in the weatherstripping.

A-pillar. Seems like the gap is less noticeable in before (reference the picture in my previous post), but it still doesn't seal.

Top of the gap.

Bottom of gap.

Corner of A-pillar weatherstrip. Looks okay to me?

Rear up/down adjustment. I messed around with it, but reverted to original placement.

Front up/down adjustment. It was originally at the top of the slot.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:55 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Looks like the A-pillar to glass is much closer that in the original condition. Don't give up the effort, looks like you are getting it.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 373 Posts

maybe if you check it with a $50...

mine were a biotch to set also. adjust, check. adjust, check. go drink a beer. the passenger window did come in a lot sooner than the drivers, go figure. i also replaced my weatherstripping, front guides and regulators at the same time so i had nothing to base on.
corvette shop here wanted $1200 to do it.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 AM
stabac
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you get it yet? I'm going through the same process. My window hits at the top edge and the door is still open about 2" It seems to be tilting inwards too much.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:43 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Looks like the A-pillar to glass is much closer that in the original condition. Don't give up the effort, looks like you are getting it.
Yeah, it was closer than when I started, but that was as far as I could get it. I loosened every adjustment at once and pulled it as far that direction as I could, but no dice.

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
maybe if you check it with a $50...

mine were a biotch to set also. adjust, check. adjust, check. go drink a beer. the passenger window did come in a lot sooner than the drivers, go figure. i also replaced my weatherstripping, front guides and regulators at the same time so i had nothing to base on.
corvette shop here wanted $1200 to do it.

Did you mess with any other adjustments than the front height, rear height, and tilt? I ended up getting it closer, but I got stuck and couldn't get it any further.

Originally Posted by stabac
Did you get it yet? I'm going through the same process. My window hits at the top edge and the door is still open about 2" It seems to be tilting inwards too much.
I wish. I had somewhere to be and had to put it back together. I doubt I'll have time to try again until I graduate in May.
Now it doesn't seem to leak as much in the front, but the gap in the rear is still big enough that I can feel a breeze on the side of my head when I drive. And I really can't conceive of how I would adjust it to fix that no matter how long I worked at it. The top is in as far as it will go, and tilting it forward or back doesn't seem to affect the seal in the rear since the window just presses up against it (rather than inserting in a groove like the front).

I wonder if there's a component I need to replace that will bring the window inboard. Perhaps a fresh outer door wipe would press the window inward?

Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 10-22-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Series2a
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI,

Hi,
As I see it, you have first to rotate the window -standing on driverside and looking into the car- anti-clockwise, so that it comes at the top front corner closer to the a-pillar and on the top rear corner a bit away from the b-pillar. Once positioned so that the glass edges are all really parallel to the a- and b-pillar you have to tilt it on the top inside, just that it closes all the gaps....

Possibly you have to move the window, once parallel to the a- and b-pillar, a bit forward or backward.

Your seals should also be about in the right plain.

There is a video here which shows how to rotate, move and tilt the window...

https://www.vettetube.com/c4-corvett...ndow-adjust-2/

Cheers, Michael

Last edited by Series2a; 10-22-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added something
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar

Did you mess with any other adjustments than the front height, rear height, and tilt? I ended up getting it closer, but I got stuck and couldn't get it any further.
i played with the front height, rear height, tilt, and forward to rear. when i saw that it was getting closer to being close i would take measurements compared to the opposite window.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:47 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

did you move the window around on the regulator? there are 3 bolts that hold the glass to the regulator, once loose you can move the glass around.. I replaced both regulators and weatherstripping on my vette. between that at aligning the doors, I have about 8 hours in each window to get them to the point where they seal when closing the window and closing the door..
Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Sub'ed.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Way to Adjust Window?

Quick Reply: Which Way to Adjust Window?