C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to close a door without battery?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Saiga12
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to close a door without battery?

guys, a new battery was dead after a week without driving. After how many days without driving can you start the car? how to close the door without battery? the glass is too high and it crashes to the rubber in the window...I tried more force....I tried to pull the cable in the car trunk+push the button on the door-nothing helped...sorry, but I feel really stupid the Chevrolet solution...I am charging the battery upstairs and I can not close and lock the car-absolutelly amazing
Old 10-06-2018, 10:47 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Originally Posted by Saiga12
guys, a new battery was dead after a week without driving. After how many days without driving can you start the car? how to close the door without battery? the glass is too high and it crashes to the rubber in the window...I tried more force....I tried to pull the cable in the car trunk+push the button on the door-nothing helped...sorry, but I feel really stupid the Chevrolet solution...I am charging the battery upstairs and I can not close and lock the car-absolutelly amazing
hook a fast charger to your battery cables and re-index the window,then close the door.my car has sat for near 2 months and started fine at -40F
Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 AM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I went 4-5 months working on mine without a battery at all. I used the cable to open and shut it with just some slight inward pressure on the top of the window to help it under the seal. My car was outside over the rainy Oregon winter and I couldn't leave the windows down.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Odo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars have very minor battery drain when parked, I've let mine sit for 2~3 months and it still cranked okay when parked with a strong battery. That said, if the battery is already old (think 3+ years), you might not want to leave it for more than a week or two without at least running for a bit to keep voltage up or being kept on a battery tender. Only had one replacement battery since 2007 and the first only went out because I stupidly used it to jump a friend's car on 2017-11 (still lasted 3 months after).

For a new battery to die in a week you absolutely need to be looking at some type of parasitic drain (or you left something open/on). To close the door when battery is dead your best bet like irok said is to charge the car a bit so the BCM can lower the windows a bit (don't close it all the way to the top, do it just short of the rubber seal so it's touching but not fully inserted in the seam so you can open/close without flexing the window rails too much when the battery is dead).

Last edited by Odo; 10-12-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Odo
These cars have very minor battery drain when parked,
You must be confusing these Corvettes with something else because they can eat batteries.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Highly recommend installing the big 3 wiring kit.

It helped solve power/ground problems for me and my parasitic drain. I can only assume bad grounding was causing something not to go to sleep when it was told to in my situation.

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/C6-Big3.html

Last edited by Got uid0; 10-14-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:01 AM
Saiga12
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the wiring kit looks fine

but I have a big power cut (racing style)-maybe it is already something similar, it looks similat,but the ground is not on motor body...the only solution for me is to turn off the electricity completelly when I do not drive 1-2 days......let me one question: when I turn on the electricity with this power round button, the horn starts to create a loud noise....I have to push the unlock button on FOB to make it silent and stopped...is there any easy way how to block this loud alarm? it happens also always aftere buaatery charging out of the car....
Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

after sitting for 6 weeks one fine morning I had no choice but to move the car.It was -40F and battery tender was not on car.guess what? It instantly fired right up
Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Odo
Advanced

Originally Posted by saplumr

You must be confusing these Corvettes with something else because they can eat batteries.
Compared to modern cars/Euros? Not even close. Provided you don't have poorly wired aftermarket mods you should be able to park it close to 6~8 months and still crank assuming you're parked at about 90% battery health (did my calc assuming OE group size and a C6 base expected drain).
Old 10-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Odo
Compared to modern cars/Euros? Not even close. Provided you don't have poorly wired aftermarket mods you should be able to park it close to 6~8 months and still crank assuming you're parked at about 90% battery health (did my calc assuming OE group size and a C6 base expected drain).
LOL you don't own a corvette
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Odo
Advanced

07 Base M6.

I've been doing fleet management for 6 years.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Odo
07 Base M6.

I've been doing fleet management for 6 years.
Let your Corvette sit for 6-8 months without starting and no battery tender. After that come back and tell us all how that worked out for you.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Odo
Advanced

Originally Posted by saplumr

Let your Corvette sit for 6-8 months without starting and no battery tender. After that come back and tell us all how that worked out for you.
"Only had one replacement battery since 2007 and the first only went out because I stupidly used it to jump a friend's car on 2017-11 (still lasted 3 months after)"
Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Most of the drain issues is caused by poor grounds from the factory causing bad signals to shut off the various components. The onstar system is a big parasitic amp draw for many.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Dont lock it before turning the power off.

It remembers that it was locked before so when u turn it back on it freaks out.

Originally Posted by Saiga12
but I have a big power cut (racing style)-maybe it is already something similar, it looks similat,but the ground is not on motor body...the only solution for me is to turn off the electricity completelly when I do not drive 1-2 days......let me one question: when I turn on the electricity with this power round button, the horn starts to create a loud noise....I have to push the unlock button on FOB to make it silent and stopped...is there any easy way how to block this loud alarm? it happens also always aftere buaatery charging out of the car....
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Let my car sit for about a month without being started this summer. New battery was installed in December 2017. It was as dead as a doornail.

Get notified of new replies

To how to close a door without battery?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to close a door without battery?