Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Engine Light On, How worried should I be ?

Old 10-13-2018, 12:04 PM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Light On, How worried should I be ?

Hi, was going to take my 427 out for one last drive for the season, but upon starting her up I notice the Service Traction Light came on and soon after hitting the road ( Not even getting up to full speed ) the service engine light came on. ( 5400 miles on car ) I immediately looked at oil pressure and it was fine. Drove about a mile to GM dealer, who ran A DTC and the code P0300 came up Engine Misfire Detected. Any thoughts ? Are the two related ? Could this be a precursor to Valve/ head issue ? As of now I loaded the car on my trailer and it sits in my yard, My extended warranty just expired last month, I was going to wait till spring a buy another extended warranty ( being the car was going to sit for six months ) Thanks for your input, John
Old 10-13-2018, 12:06 PM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Sorry, Forgot to mention my Car is a 2013 Anniversary Edition 427 with 5400 miles, No work has been done to the car. john
Old 10-13-2018, 04:50 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

With those symptoms and the engine misfire code the first thing I would check for would be a lose spark plug wire on one of the coils. You'll have to remove the red engine covers to see all the coils, but I suspect that is the issue and it's a simple fix. Just pop the wire back on the coil (with the car shut off of course).
Old 10-13-2018, 06:11 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (old fart with a bad memory) P0300 is a "random" misfire. If you had for instance a P0303 that direct you to a specific problem,plug or wire at #3. How long did the car sit before you took it out and how old is the gas.
The following users liked this post:
03BlkZ (10-13-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:49 AM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 829 Likes on 368 Posts

Two lights on within a few minutes is usually a battery going bad. Both my Z06 and zr1 did that, I'm not sure what codes it produced cause I never checked
​​​​​I did recently have an engine light on and a anti theft light on and it really was an issue with the ecu..
Hopefully yours is just the battery
Old 10-14-2018, 08:54 AM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
With those symptoms and the engine misfire code the first thing I would check for would be a lose spark plug wire on one of the coils. You'll have to remove the red engine covers to see all the coils, but I suspect that is the issue and it's a simple fix. Just pop the wire back on the coil (with the car shut off of course).
Thanks, I will check it out today !
Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 AM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Originally Posted by stefuel
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (old fart with a bad memory) P0300 is a "random" misfire. If you had for instance a P0303 that direct you to a specific problem,plug or wire at #3. How long did the car sit before you took it out and how old is the gas.
It was about 3 or 4 weeks since I last drove the car, gas was was filled at that time. It was at that time that the battery tender became unplugged and the battery was dead as a door nail. Battery if fairly new.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:13 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by UpnorthWis
It was about 3 or 4 weeks since I last drove the car, gas was was filled at that time. It was at that time that the battery tender became unplugged and the battery was dead as a door nail. Battery if fairly new.
My gut says don't worry about it and low voltage was the problem. Clear the codes, drive it, keep it plugged in and see if the codes come back. Random misfire is not the end of the world. Especially if you think the car was running fine when it popped up. All that said, you are getting internet advice from someone you don't know. Feel free to get a second opinion.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 PM
corvettenutz
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

if its not flashing your good. get it hot.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:26 PM
UpnorthWis
Advanced

Thanks for all the help, it was a spark plug wire under the Red covers, thinking when it was in for an oil change the last time is when it might of happened. Now, is there a easy way to clear the engine light one the dash ? Or will a dealer have to do that ? Thanks John
Old 10-14-2018, 06:38 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't have Corvette experience with that code, but long ago my '96 BMW would get misfire codes. I'd clear and all OK, would get them about once a year. Never any thing wrong. On my "newer" '08 BMW I had a coil go bad and got a check engine but also had rough running engine. I'd clear it and see if it reoccurs.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by UpnorthWis
Thanks for all the help, it was a spark plug wire under the Red covers, thinking when it was in for an oil change the last time is when it might of happened. Now, is there a easy way to clear the engine light one the dash ? Or will a dealer have to do that ? Thanks John
When I had that happen to me the code cleared itself up once the wire was hooked up again. Might take a few start cycles before it clears in your case.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCoupe

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Light On, How worried should I be ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Light On, How worried should I be ?