C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Weatherstrip Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:28 AM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Weatherstrip Trouble

So I replaced most of my weatherstripping, including the a-pillar, b-pillar, hatch, and roof strips. I had purchased the stuff from an ebay vendor called LoneStarCarParts. Stuff is OK, but not great. It's not as bad as the super cheap stuff, but certainly not OEM grade either. I ended up with leaks at the four corners of the roof. I just replaced the side roof strips with the stuff from Wilcox. Much better quality, but still leaks. The rear corners seem to be sealed, but I still have huge gaps that leak on the front corners, under the ears, where the a-pillar and roof strips meet. I suspect the a-pillar strip is just molded wrong. Either that or I messed up the install. I took a pic of each side, and you can see the gaps. Thoughts?

Pardon the filthy car, haven't been able to wash it due to the leaks!

Last edited by novaks47; 10-14-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Not much to go on, except to say the seal in the top photo is definitely installed or damaged, but in any case...wrong.

I can't really tell much either from the bottom photo, The dirt seriously hinders (my) attempt to assess the status of the installation. But, if installed correctly, the car will not leak - just installed new door seals from Willcox, and new A-pillar rubber a couple years ago from Corvette Rubber as part of the windshield replacement effort. No leaks.

Good rubber (OE or the like) makes all the difference. The rubber almost can't be too soft and pliable.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM
novaks47
Racer

Yeah, I meant to grab some photos yesterday with the door open, but got too busy to get it done. I'll try to get some better ones later today.

The a-pillar is definitely not right. Looking at pictures of other C4's, I'm certain the a-pillar was not molded correctly. That edge of the strip should not be hanging out past the dog ear like that, nor should there be a gap between it and the roof strips, but everything is aligned, so it must just be a bad mold. I ordered up a new piece from Willcox, and will simply replace it. Not messing around with the other junk anymore.

Last edited by novaks47; 10-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:00 PM
novaks47
Racer

Update : I bought a new a-pillar strip from Wilcox. Quality is 100% better than the other junk I originally had. The fit is much better as well, but it's still not sealing correctly. It seals much better on the bottom corners by the doors, unlike the other junk, but the upper edges are still not sealed. I'm not sure what's going on here, as it only goes in one way, it's driving me nuts! Pics attached. Thoughts?

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip Trouble

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Trouble