C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to install a different radio.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:10 AM
AV8TOR536
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I want to install a different radio.

I have a 2005 with a Bose radio,I want to install a later model Corvette radio that has a touch screen with bluetooth,the reason I'm sticking with a Corvette radio and not an Android,Kenwood or Pioneer is,I don't want to mess with buying different harnesses,splicing wires and buying other things to make it work,I want to just plug and play,with that said,what year Corvette radio should I look for that's the best bang for the buck?
Old 10-14-2018, 11:22 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...head-unit.html
Old 10-14-2018, 11:32 AM
c6crazy
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Radio

Aftermarket radios can be plug and play...just order from Crutchfields and have them preinstall harness and all you have to do is hook up. OEM radio most like will have to be mated to new car it is being installed in so that would entail a trip to dealer. So why not get aftermarket with lots more features for less money and less hassle.
The following users liked this post:
SRQ Vette (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM
AV8TOR536
Racer

Originally Posted by c6crazy
Aftermarket radios can be plug and play...just order from Crutchfields and have them preinstall harness and all you have to do is hook up. OEM radio most like will have to be mated to new car it is being installed in so that would entail a trip to dealer. So why not get aftermarket with lots more features for less money and less hassle.
Oh,I didnt know I could get the radio pre wired,I will check into that,thanks!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

I replaced mine few months ago and was no way going to cut a single wire on the Vette. Now a days like others have said, there's adapters that make like so easy, not a single wire gets cut. Much easier than going to dealership to get other radio unlocked and there's a fee associated with that too.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:39 PM
AV8TOR536
Racer

I'mthinking about this one $449 @ Crutchfeild.
https://youtu.be/xXjFj4ATJNs
Old 10-14-2018, 12:50 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice looking unit ... I'm just going up the learning curve ... I never knew there were so many options ... which is a good thing - I think.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by c6crazy
I agree with this. Don't be intimidated by going with an aftermarket head unit. It's much easier than you think. Also adding a backup camera is pretty simple also.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:58 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AV8TOR536
I'mthinking about this one $449 @ Crutchfeild.
https://youtu.be/xXjFj4ATJNs
I would suggest finding one with a capacitive touch screen vs resistive. Capacitive touch screen is very similar to your smart phone with a glass screen and great graphics. Besides better graphics and response, it also holds up to sun glare better that resistive. Google resistive vs capacitive touch screens for more detailed info. Check out the Kenwood DDX9904s for a similar price on Crutchfield.
gliderdriver (10-14-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:51 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd like to put in a good word for the new Sony head units. They are excellent and are one of the very few brands offering a matte finish (instead of that glossy black) which most closely approximates the stock look. I just installed the Sony XAV-AX200 this weekend using Crutchfield's ready harness ($25 well spent) and I LOVE this head unit. I also was looking at their XAV-AX5000 which has an even bigger capacitive screen and is actually CHEAPER.

Any way you choose, you'll get way more enjoyment out of your Vette day to day. This is probably the best upgrade I've done in five years... second only to installation of my NPP exhaust, of course.

​​​​EDIT: Crutchfield will tell you the XAV-AX200 does not fit in the C6 dash (by 0.04"). I did the install myself and it absolutely fits with no issues. Others have done the same. So no worries there.

Last edited by vara411; 10-15-2018 at 01:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vara411:
capors crossfire (10-27-2018), RayCE (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vara411
I also was looking at their XAV-AX5000 which has an even bigger capacitive screen and is actually CHEAPER.
I believe all the Sony's have a resistive touch screen. Resistive screens basically have 2 thin plastic layers covering the actual screen. A capacitive screen is far superior, basically similar to what I have on my iPhone, but is also comes with an added cost.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got BOSE in my 911 and it's not enough to change out the head unit, I need to either buy a MOST-HUR adapter ($500 for a good one, $125 for a Chinese knockoff from the Bay) or change out all the speakers. The non-BOSE OEM is the only one that only needs a harness. Not sure if it's the same or not with the Corvette BOSE. Mine came with a JVC head unit but the car never had BOSE.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:47 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

I have Bose in my C6 3LT ... do I have to change speakers if I go with a new aftermarket head unit.
I do recall some posts where people did this ... thought it was only to upgrade sound quality though.
Thanks - Ken 2008 Vert LS3/3LT
Old 10-15-2018, 05:27 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

OK ... I just talked to a tech advisor at crutchfield ... I can keep the old speakers as the new head plugs into the existing amp ... plus their harness retains the steering wheel controls. Look pretty straight forward ... I'm looking at the Kenwood Excelon DDX9904S ... thanks to all for input.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 05 and removed the Bose and put in a JVC 7" screen, Focal components in front, Polks in rear, JL 5 channel amp, and JL sub box in left rear cubby. So much nicer than stock and now can watch DVD's going down the highway. At least the passenger can.

If you get all the hookups it is really easy to do. If you get a later Vette head unit then you have to deal with a dealer somewhere who is probably not very versed in a swap. You will also lose steering wheel controls because the 05 doesn't do that. To retain steering wheel controls you will have to get a later model steering wheel, change the clockspring, probably add a harness to the steering wheel, and who knows what else. It could be done but me thinks going aftermarket would be more simple and less expensive. You can go as fancy or simple as you please. I did an upgrade in a C5 I once owned and four Polk db speakers, a Kenwood 5 channel amp and sub box made all the difference over the Bose for very little money and did it in an afternoon.
No highs no lows, it must be Bose.

Last edited by mophead; 10-15-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Stormyweather
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mophead
I have an 05 and removed the Bose and put in a JVC 7" screen, Focal components in front, Polks in rear, JL 5 channel amp, and JL sub box in left rear cubby. So much nicer than stock and now can watch DVD's going down the highway. At least the passenger can.

If you get all the hookups it is really easy to do. If you get a later Vette head unit then you have to deal with a dealer somewhere who is probably not very versed in a swap. You will also lose steering wheel controls because the 05 doesn't do that. To retain steering wheel controls you will have to get a later model steering wheel, change the clockspring, probably add a harness to the steering wheel, and who knows what else. It could be done but me thinks going aftermarket would be more simple and less expensive. You can go as fancy or simple as you please. I did an upgrade in a C5 I once owned and four Polk db speakers, a Kenwood 5 channel amp and sub box made all the difference over the Bose for very little money and did it in an afternoon.
No highs no lows, it must be Bose.
Is that JL sub the pre loaded unit?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Great thread for those looking at upgrades ... I have been reading all old and new posts - and understand the procedure and options a lot more - thanks to the forum.

I have been looking at crutchfield options for my 2008 3LT BOSE ... and all seem to say the steering wheel controls are not supported - even when I select the high end harness option ... am I missing something.

Get notified of new replies

To I want to install a different radio.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gliderdriver
Great thread for those looking at upgrades ... I have been reading all old and new posts - and understand the procedure and options a lot more - thanks to the forum.

I have been looking at crutchfield options for my 2008 3LT BOSE ... and all seem to say the steering wheel controls are not supported - even when I select the high end harness option ... am I missing something.
I would say you are missing something. I just went to Crutchfield, I chose the head unit I want and then typed in the info for your car. It then tells me it fits and gives me two options for installation gear. The more expensive $80 option come with the Pac RP5-GM11 and shows that it retains steering wheel controls.
gliderdriver (10-17-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

I am debating a cheap new head unit, but want apple car play for nav and stuff, and XM radio..
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderdriver

I just installed my Sony XAV-AX200 ($499) through Crutchfield on my 2008 3LT Bose and can confirm that steering wheel controls totally work. If you get that $80 PAC RP5-GM11 harness along with Crutchfield's pre-wired harness, installation is a breeze. Looking back I probably could have done it without the Crutchfield ready harness but it certainly made my job a whole lot quicker. Would be happy to answer any questions.

BTW I just checked and Crutchfield is offering price breaks on both their XAV-AX100 ($349) and XAV-AX5000 ($399) ... I highly recommend these units as well (no, I don't own Sony stock).

Last edited by vara411; 10-19-2018 at 08:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vara411:
capors crossfire (10-27-2018), gliderdriver (10-19-2018)

Quick Reply: I want to install a different radio.