C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TB coolant bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default TB coolant bypass

need step by step procedure for the same. Required parts and pics if possible.
For a 1991 L98 stock (auto).

TIA
Old 10-15-2018, 03:47 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I typed "1988 Corvette TB Coolant Bypass" into my Bing search engine and got a number of images, including tube shape and connectors. Also, I bought two large rubber nipples to cover/dress-up the TB coolant ports.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:45 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

I hope the photos are clear, there are three hoses in the passenger side of the TB and one hose underneath. Which ones to bypass?

Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Looks like your '91 TB is quite similar to my '88.
1st pic: Follow the lower hose with the metal clamp to the heater.
2nd pic: The hose below the intake bellows and beside the T-stat housing is the inlet from the intake base.

-Drain off some coolant and remove the short hose section in 2nd pic.
-Attach your new "U" shaped hose (short end) to the intake base outlet, install a metal clamp and tighten. Feed the long section back toward the heater. I tried to run it below the other hoses for a stealth effect.
-Remove the heater hose shown in the 1st pic. and cut it at a convenient location so as to mesh with the end of new "U" shaped hose.
-Slip a clamp around each hose, insert the metal coupler into the end of each hose and tighten the clamps around each hose.
-Fill with water, start up and leak check.

I slid rubber nipples over each TB fitting to dress up a tad.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Looks like your '91 TB is quite similar to my '88.
1st pic: Follow the lower hose with the metal clamp to the heater.
2nd pic: The hose below the intake bellows and beside the T-stat housing is the inlet from the intake base.

-Drain off some coolant and remove the short hose section in 2nd pic.
-Attach your new "U" shaped hose (short end) to the intake base outlet, install a metal clamp and tighten. Feed the long section back toward the heater. I tried to run it below the other hoses for a stealth effect.
-Remove the heater hose shown in the 1st pic. and cut it at a convenient location so as to mesh with the end of new "U" shaped hose.
-Slip a clamp around each hose, insert the metal coupler into the end of each hose and tighten the clamps around each hose.
-Fill with water, start up and leak check.

I slid rubber nipples over each TB fitting to dress up a tad.
Thanks I really appreciate it. Are these hoses 5/8” or 3/4”?
Lets see if I understand right, so the new “U” shaped hose will connect the intake hose from 2nd pic (from intake base) to the TB hose (going to heater core) in the 1st pic, right? if that is the case, Can’t I connect them directly with coupler without the “U” shape hose?
what about the other 2 hoses in the 1st pic connected to TB?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I don't recall the hose size, (think it's 5/8"???) but best to measure the heater hose as it's easy to get at.

You can try and do the coupling as you describe, not sure if the hoses will mate up length and shape wise. Plus, it's pretty "tight" to the right of the TB.

The other two hoses (on starboard side of TB) are vacuum hoses so need to be attached.

I believe the TB intake cone must be removed to allow access into the areas of interest.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I don't recall the hose size, (think it's 5/8"???) but best to measure the heater hose as it's easy to get at.

You can try and do the coupling as you describe, not sure if the hoses will mate up length and shape wise. Plus, it's pretty "tight" to the right of the TB.

The other two hoses (on starboard side of TB) are vacuum hoses so need to be attached.

I believe the TB intake cone must be removed to allow access into the areas of interest.
got it 👍🏻
Thanks man I really appreciate it.
Will update once done.

Get notified of new replies

To TB coolant bypass

Quick Reply: TB coolant bypass