LED Light Switch Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:14 AM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Default LED Light Switch Advice

G'day All,
I'm thinking of replacing my indicator light globes with LED's. My question is, do I have to replace all the associated globes front, side, dash and rear at the same time or can I mix and match as required?
TIA,
Mark
Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

When I replaced my bulbs with LED, I was no longer able to use the dimmer feature on the headlight switch (which did not bother me in the least); I don't know if you would be able to use yours after replacing just 'some' of your lights. There may be LED bulbs that will dim, not sure.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kansas123
When I replaced my bulbs with LED, I was no longer able to use the dimmer feature on the headlight switch (which did not bother me in the least); I don't know if you would be able to use yours after replacing just 'some' of your lights. There may be LED bulbs that will dim, not sure.
Thanks for the reply kansas123, but this is for the indicator/blinker circuit, although it will probably affect the other lights as well because the front park lights and stop/tail lights are incorporated in the same circuit.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:44 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Oops, for some reason I thought you were talking about dash lights.

I have read threads about putting LEDs in those lights you speak of with some weird results. Do a search for LED lights and you will see problems, fixes and results. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

You will need to replace the Flasher circuit with a modern electronic one if you are still using the old capacitor one.
This flasher is located at the bottom of the passenger side dash, just reach your had up behind and pop it out. it's mounted on a C clip.

As for the dash, I purchased dimable LED bulbs, but they do not work as you would expect, they dim slowly at first and them drop off fast. But honestly, I like them full blast.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The front marker lights get their ground via the filaments of other lamps. This includes the indicator lamps in the speedometer cluster. Unless you change the wiring scheme the marker lights will NOT work properly and both turn signals and emergency flashers will have unpredictable operation.

I know that LEDs are increasingly popular and ever improving but the circuitry in our cars was not designed for them. Moreover I do not believe there are any LEDs legally approved for use in our brake lamps, tail lamps or turn lamps. The problem is that the fixtures and lenses themselves must be designed for use with a specific LED lamp.

Not only do LEDs have less dimming range than incandescents but unlike incandescent lamps where both light quantity and color temperature change with dimming, the color temperature of LEDs remains the same no matter the amount of light they produce. What this means is that the nice, warm, easy-on-the-eyes green glow of the dash cannot be reproduced using LEDs.

Get notified of new replies

To LED Light Switch Advice

Quick Reply: LED Light Switch Advice