Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Starter relay in fuse box under hood??

Old 10-15-2018, 11:40 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Starter relay in fuse box under hood??

I've been chasing the slow crank heat soak starter issue for a couple of weeks. Got it to start recently by installing DEI insulation, but still slow crank.
A guy posted on my YT channel to check the starter relay in the fuse box, that his had over heated. Is there such a thing? Maybe he was mixed up with the fuel pump relay? I have seen pictures of a couple of those turning toasty brown from heat (internal/external?).

I thought the solenoid on top of the starter was acting like the relay.

Help me understand, thanks.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:34 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Froggy, Ihave heard there is a starter relay in the under hood fuse box that exhibits issues.It can be swapped with another relay for testing purposes while you are having the cranking issues.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I have no idea but #30 is J-Style fuse labeled as STARTER 40A. #43 is a mini relay labeled CRANK.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks guys, won't hurt to examine & swap with another next hot start, you all are great.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I had all sorts of trouble from my under hood fuse box. The horn would intermittently work, the fuel pump would randomly quit, the bright lights would sometimes work, the blinkers did their own thing, etc.. I took the fuse box apart and found no issues, I could hear each relay click when the appropriate switch was turned on, but I still had issues. I finally went to digikey.com and ordered new relays for everything, and this solved every intermittent issue I had. The dealership relays are crazy expensive. It took quite a while to figure this out, because switching relay positions would temporarily solve the problems, but they came back shortly until I replaced them all. I don't know if this will solve your starter problem, but It's a cheap way to make sure all circuits are functional from a relay standpoint.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by redcycle13
I had all sorts of trouble from my under hood fuse box. The horn would intermittently work, the fuel pump would randomly quit, the bright lights would sometimes work, the blinkers did their own thing, etc.. I took the fuse box apart and found no issues, I could hear each relay click when the appropriate switch was turned on, but I still had issues. I finally went to digikey.com and ordered new relays for everything, and this solved every intermittent issue I had. The dealership relays are crazy expensive. It took quite a while to figure this out, because switching relay positions would temporarily solve the problems, but they came back shortly until I replaced them all. I don't know if this will solve your starter problem, but It's a cheap way to make sure all circuits are functional from a relay standpoint.
Thanks.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:36 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I had issues with my intercooler pump working intermittently. Turns out previous owner or mechanic previously had the fuse box apart and didn’t put it back together fully. So connections were touching intermittently. Make sure those 3 bolts are tight and the fuse box is fully seated (3 separate pieces that sandwich together)
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 925 Likes on 683 Posts

I can vouch for digikey they helped out when I was assembling my megasquirt ecu on my tt fox mustang

​​​​​​it's a little overwhelming the site, but if it's electronics related, they've got it!

good luck!

drew
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (10-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Starter relay in fuse box under hood??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter relay in fuse box under hood??