C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new C6 owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM
CarCrazyBen
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new C6 owner with some questions

Hello all! I just purchased a 2013 Sonic Blue Metallic GS. I took it to a local shop to have it tested on their dynamometer (Cars Remember When in Englewood CO) and was told the car is running very well; 375 rwhp @ 5800 and 380 lbs-ft torque at 4700. The car is a 6-speed automatic, wet sump, with 13k miles. I want to perform some maintenance and possible upgrades and would like some advice.
1. Can I get a replacement battery basically anywhere (NAPA, Advance, etc)? Is there any special trick to replacing the battery or do I just have to accept that all my pre-sets will be erased? Could I damage anything?
2. Is it worth flushing the cooling system? Is this simply a matter of draining and re-filling several times until the radiator drains clear water? Should I replace the thermostat at the same time?
3. Is a cold air intake worth the $$$ and, if so, is one better than another? A friend has a "Snake Charmer" on his 2012 and I was just reading about the Holley InTech system; not sure how to choose.
4. I do not have the magnetic ride system, just regular shock absorbers. Would I notice a difference with Bilsteins, Konis, or QA-1s? Any recommendations?
5. Do I need to service the rear transaxle due to the car's age (not mileage I presume).

I appreciate any help or guidance the Forum can provide. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

1: Yes, get the best battery at any given store. There are maybe two or three total battery manufacturers that supply all of the various stores an dunless you're getting something like an Optima or Brail or something, they are all pretty much the same and will serve you well.

2: Probably. I think the flush interval is something like 5-years or 150k miles (whichever comes first).

3: No. The LS3 OEM intake is a really good design and spending money on an aftermarket intake will net you very minimal gains unless you're starting to push much more power.

4: Probably a little. If you really want to upgrade the DRM Bilsteins are great (if you can get a hold of them) and I've heard good things about the QA-1's as well. For street driving you aren't going to feel a huge difference unless your current shocks are on their way out, or you like to let it hang out a bit on bumpy and twisty roads. This is a pretty individual preference here so take my answer with a grain of salt.

5: I really wouldn't worry about this. I can't seem to find the recommended change interval for the rear diff. but I would assume you aren't close (maybe 10-yreas 100k?). I'm sure someone can chime in on this for a better answer.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 PM
CarCrazyBen
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you jaredtxrx! I appreciate your insight!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3. He’s speaking to the intake not the manifold. They can yield decent gains. Couple that with a ported throttle body by Mamo or TEA and you’ll notice more gains.

4. The koni FSD’s are great and have a huge following.

5. If you don’t know the last time it or the transmission was done I would suggest changing them both. Both only a drain and fill no flushes.

Last edited by Bexe; 10-16-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:38 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

When you replace your battery, you will have to re index your windows. I just replaced mine and everything else (even the radio presents) were still there

Get notified of new replies

To new C6 owner with some questions

Quick Reply: new C6 owner with some questions