Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:36 AM
markopromo
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Convertible top

hello again,

do you guys know how do I go about purchasing a new black convertible top? I am waiting for the carbon 65 to arrive and it has a blue top... not exactly sure how I feel about the blue so I want to know if I have options.

If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 03:01 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I think the blue top looks great on the Carbon 65. Not sure the black would look as good. But I am sure others feel differently.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:03 AM
markopromo
Heel & Toe

I havent even seen the car. I know crazy. I bought a car and don’t even know what it looks like in real life lol. I’m hoping to really like it. I figured with the carbon fiber and black wheels a black top shouldn’t be too bad. My goal was not to buy a convertible but I think I got a good deal so didn’t want to pass on it

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
I think the blue top looks great on the Carbon 65. Not sure the black would look as good. But I am sure others feel differently.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:36 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Go back to bed.Get some sleep.Then think about what you did and start over.
Did you really buy it?
Old 10-16-2018, 06:43 AM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by markopromo
hello again,

do you guys know how do I go about purchasing a new black convertible top? I am waiting for the carbon 65 to arrive and it has a blue top... not exactly sure how I feel about the blue so I want to know if I have options.

Thanks
Just leave the car as is, replacing the top is a huge waste of money.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:19 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

beauty is in the eye as they say. Personally I LOVE the blue top on white, I've been looking for a twilight blue design pkg with white ext and blue top. Waiting for my 17 Grand sport delivery from 900 miles away right now!
I'd say go right ahead and put the color you want on the top. Corvettes are a healthy investment and a new better top is out there for about $1,500, small amount compared to not having your color. And you could sell your removed top on here. I inquired about changing tops if I bought used in another color and was told by Franks vettes in spring Texas there's a company in Ca. that puts out a better product than GM. (in our neighborhood Frank is God)
Old 10-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Ericm1949
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

hello again,

Thanks
I have ordered a new GM part # top for my ‘13 427 convertible from GM Parts Direct. (.com) I have purchased Corvette & Cadillac parts from them for years with good results.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM
markopromo
Heel & Toe

I couldn’t find the part -
Originally Posted by Ericm1949

I have ordered a new GM part # top for my ‘13 427 convertible from GM Parts Direct. (.com) I have purchased Corvette & Cadillac parts from them for years with good results.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Ericm1949
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I couldn’t find the part -

Sometimes their website is a little difficult to navigate. You can narrow the search by inputting your year and car (vin # if you have it) and “expand” the columns listed by touching to open additional sub-columns. When all else fails, I use the “contact us” & email them my wants.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:36 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default agreed

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
I find it cool and rare enough in the convertible car world, I wish we could trade. After market soft top changes are, of course, done but the few I've seen just don't fit
as well as the factory top (I have a '14 Torch Red Z51 1LT 7 MT with the (standard) black top, a different shade (red?) might be very, very cool.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I've owned convertibles for a long time. IMHO it may be a good idea to leave well enough alone. You will invite possible leaks as the entire top frame will need to be removed to replace the fabric. I had to have a top replaced on a C6, and while it luckily didn't leak the knuckleheads let the frame hit the tonneau cover on both sides. Needless to say I wasn't very happy as it didn't just chip the paint off, they dropped it hard enough to gouge the cover. Like others have said, the blue top looks great on the Carbon 65.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 05:46 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

www.convtop.com 6 yr warr on them good place to get a replacement top....Again like others have said you may be opening up a can of worms here with a leak r what ever.. See if in time if it grows on you... Robert
Old 10-16-2018, 06:48 PM
C7rob
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pictures of my new blue top

New Z06 with twilight blue package. You might like the blue as it looks pretty good with the silver or white car!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,599 Posts

I havent even seen the car. I know crazy. I bought a car and don’t even know what it looks like in real life lol. I’m hoping to really like it. I figured with the carbon fiber and black wheels a black top shouldn’t be too bad. My goal was not to buy a convertible but I think I got a good deal so didn’t want to pass on it

I would be much more worried about buying a C7 I had never seen than whether the top is blue or black.

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell;1598170950[b
]I've owned convertibles for a long time. IMHO it may be a good idea to leave well enough alone. You will invite possible leaks as the entire top frame will need to be removed to replace the fabric.[/b] I had to have a top replaced on a C6, and while it luckily didn't leak the knuckleheads let the frame hit the tonneau cover on both sides. Needless to say I wasn't very happy as it didn't just chip the paint off, they dropped it hard enough to gouge the cover. Like others have said, the blue top looks great on the Carbon 65.
I agree, the C7 "factory installed " convertible top is as good as it gets IMO. It's rare you see one that's not a perfect fit, not as much as a whistle even at very high speed and never heard of one leaking water. In fact, I can spray mine with full force from a water hose while washing
and never as much as a drip.
Rebel Yell (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 PM
markopromo
Heel & Toe

Great feedback everyone!

Im going to get a feeling for the blue and go from there... I appreciate all the responses.
Rebel Yell (10-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a ceramic matrix gray vert, with the blue top and you can't beat the combo, especially in the sun.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:27 PM
markopromo
Heel & Toe

Can’t wait to see it!

Originally Posted by stillcrazy
I have a ceramic matrix gray vert, with the blue top and you can't beat the combo, especially in the sun.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top

Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by landsteam
Just leave the car as is, replacing the top is a huge waste of money.
- Id also say that the Carbon is one of those "special" models that you really dont want to "change" due to its rarity...you start messing with it, you might have a real hard time selling it down the road... The blue top looks really nice with the blue'ish pale grey'ish paint.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:54 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I would wait till you see the car in person before I committed to buy a new top. After you get it and still want to change out the top, give me a PM and I will let you know how I did my top change.
VH
Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

I have a TBDE and the top always looks black unless in direct light. Wait and see.....

Quick Reply: Convertible top