C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Starting / Clicking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 AM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Hard Starting / Clicking Sound

A few months ago my 2013 GS would at times hesitate when I pushed the ignition button before it would start - but it would start. This became more frequent so I stopped by the local battery shop where they tested the battery and said it was still strong. Eventually when I pushed the ignition button all I got was a clicking sound and it wouldn't start, but this was random. Usually if I waited a couple of minutes and pushed the ignition button again it would start right up. Well one day while I was out it wouldn't start at all - no sounds under the hood and no lights inside. I got the car jumped and drove to my local Chevy dealer to have it checked out. They had it there for 2 days and all they came up with was the battery wouldn't hold a charge and replaced the battery. Its been a couple of months since at the dealer and the whole process has started again - hesitating when I start it or just clicking sound. So I've begun to hook up the battery tender anytime I'm not driving it, but it still happens. Its beginning to drive me nuts. Full disclosure - I road race so I had an auto blip installed a couple of years ago on the car. It basically blips the engine when down shifting in lieu of heel toe shifting...not sure if that might be a part of the cause or not. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Solenoid on the starter is a common failure point on these car, assuming battery/cables are good

Quick Reply: Hard Starting / Clicking Sound