Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Microfiber cloth cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Ladensack3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Microfiber cloth cleaning

hello, my question is how to clean my microfiber towels? I’ve been just putting them in my washer with regular laundry with normal detergent. Let me know if this is correct or should change it up? Thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Wash with laundry soap separate load for microfiber only.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Lots of info at the Rag Company video page.

https://www.theragcompany.com/videos/
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

Use a micro-fiber specific detergent on permanent press cycle. Make sure you rinse twice adding vinegar to the final rinse and dry on low or medium low setting. Never wash with non micro-fiber items, never wash with non-MF items.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladensack3
I’ve been just putting them in my washer with regular laundry with normal detergent. Let me know if this is correct or should change it up
Definitely time to change! Both high heat and normal laundry soap are not good for microfiber. The link posted above will be a good guide for you.

* My wash detergent is 3D Towel Kleen. I have tried a few other brands, but this is half the cost and seems to fluff the towels better.
* I wash my good paint towels separately from the towels used for the wheels, engine bay, and interior.
* I use the warm wash/cold rinse setting, and in the dryer I use the low heat setting. Never any fabric softener.

Microfiber detergent is amazingly effective. I have never had a problem cleaning any of my towels. Only some applicator pads used for applying tire dressing stay a little stained, but they are still pretty much clean. They are just for tires anyway, so no big deal.
The following users liked this post:
CamarosRus (12-11-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:00 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

You can use hot water wash as long as it is below 140 degrees, too hot of wash will fuse together the fibers which will then create scratches in your paint. Not sure where I read or heard but the hot water opens up the fibers in the cloth for better cleaning.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I do a dedicated microfiber wash, nothing but the microfibers. I use "Micro-Restore". I partially dry them on a low heat in the dryer for a short period of time with 2 dryer ***** to keep them fluffy and then air dry them the rest of the way. My microfibers look and feel new for years.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 PM
pcbreflectionsllc
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you washing towels that are used to dry water? Or are these towels used to remove oil, brake dust, or silicone based products? Or are they are used to remove wax or polishing residue?

Depending on what the towels are used for would determine the correct way to wash them. Towel management is very important due to 40-50 of our own towels cost $20.00 each and then work their way down in cost depending on the usage.

I wish it were as easy as saying use this product at this wash temp and your good to go, but it isn't!

What I can say with your supplied information is no matter what the towels are used for or the gsm rating of your towel, you should only tumble dry your towels with air or the lowest heat setting available to prevent the microfiber fingers from drawing up and hardening. If heat is present the towels will shrink (think of a white cotton shirt shrinking) and as it does the towel will harden and become less absorbent.
FYRARMS (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:15 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

I send mine to the dry cleaners.
capevettes (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:39 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

hello, my question is how to clean my microfiber towels? I’ve been just putting them in my washer with regular laundry with normal detergent. Let me know if this is correct or should change it up? Thanks
Here is some good info!
http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/279...ofiber-towels/
Old 10-21-2018, 04:02 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

As a pro detailer and a MF expert(I have been tapped by Korean weavers and interviewed, and been in meetings with them to discuss towels for various usages)
Here is what I did at my shop, based on their information.
Bottom Line all commercial detergents, Ie bought off the shelf at your local grocery store, contains oils that you DO NOT want in your towels
That oil transfers to the paint and attracts dust and dulls the finish, ever so slightly.
I originally thought they were fine, until I did some experimentation and discovered I was wrong when we tested on glass, which shows every imperfection, and streakiness.
You truly need to use a specific MF detergent. As c-monkey states adding vinegar is the way to go. Vinegar is a natural water softener and a grease cutter.
In my shop they would get rinsed with vinegar(1/4 cup based on load size. Small load =1/4 cup, medium load 1/2cup and on)
Paint towels had one bin, wheel, engine and anything less had a separate bin and washed separately from the others.
all towels were air dried, no heat.
I used towels that were over 5 years old on black car with no issue.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 10-21-2018 at 04:02 AM.
FYRARMS (10-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Microfiber cloth cleaning

Quick Reply: Microfiber cloth cleaning