Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 C5 Z06 - Buying one with mods - reputable dealer/shop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 PM
LordX
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 C5 Z06 - Buying one with mods - reputable dealer/shop?

Hey all. I have been eyeing the newer vettes for a while, but have always liked the C5 body style - it really is the smoothest looking one ever.

The new z06 ones have a TON of HP compared to these older ones though - which I don't know if I need, but it certainly gives bragging rights.

I have heard over the years of shops that specialize in corvette upgrades/restorations. I am in the north east, so if I were to buy one, I would prefer in the quadrant, but I wouldn't rule out paying for shipping if there is one place on the wet coast that is leaps and bounds above the rest.

My specific preferences: Coupe, hard top, bright red, manual transmission, z06.

If I could find one that has low miles, and has been professionally upgraded and tested - I would love it!

Any recommendations or shops to look at?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

Buying a car with mods can be a crap shoot. Some are done right by professionals but too many are done by amateur mechanics with mail order parts. Depending on where you live those "improvements" (mods) may cause problems with emission testing done in many states. Generally a vehicle that an owner spent a ton of money on mods is worth no more than a stock proper unmolested car. Than being said if you really want a modified car you could get lucky and save a buck. Tell your insurance company you have a modified car with performance improvements and see what that say about coverage. Drive a stock car and see if you really need those bragging rights modifications. I got over that after my teen age years so I no longer require loud mufflers, headers, cams, turbos and big sound systems.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Buying a car with mods can be a crap shoot. Some are done right by professionals but too many are done by amateur mechanics with mail order parts. Depending on where you live those "improvements" (mods) may cause problems with emission testing done in many states. Generally a vehicle that an owner spent a ton of money on mods is worth no more than a stock proper unmolested car. Than being said if you really want a modified car you could get lucky and save a buck. Tell your insurance company you have a modified car with performance improvements and see what that say about coverage. Drive a stock car and see if you really need those bragging rights modifications. I got over that after my teen age years so I no longer require loud mufflers, headers, cams, turbos and big sound systems.
I am 68 years old soon to be 69. I guess I have not gotten out of my "teen years".
The following 2 users liked this post by road pilot:
kzoo-z (10-18-2018), Mr. Black (10-20-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
I am 68 years old soon to be 69. I guess I have not gotten out of my "teen years".
Don't feel bad, I'm 61 and neither have I!

To the thread starter, where are you specifically located?

Last edited by spdislife; 10-17-2018 at 09:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by spdislife:
kzoo-z (10-18-2018), Mr. Black (10-20-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

I would consider not only who did the mods but also when they were done. I've seem plenty for sale threads for cars with mods that were just completed. Makes me think someone is done trying to figure out issues and is ready to move on. A mild heads/cam build done a decade ago, for example, was likely done right and has not been giving the owner fits.

I would also look at the owner...mature or immature, modified with a well thought out plan or just threw in the biggest cam he could find, does the car appear to have been well cared for, garage or outdoor living?

I would consider buying a modified car more risky but if you definitely want a modified car you basically get the mods for free - compared to buying a stock car and spending the money for the mods. If I were shopping I would also consider a car modded by a bigger name tuning shop like Lingenfelter. They obviously have plenty of experience, whomever paid for the work to be done was able to pay top dollar (some would argue overpaying), and I think the Lingenfelter car will hold value better than say my car with a heads/cam build completed by a reputable shop with a well known tuner.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:50 AM
LordX
3rd Gear

I am in Syracuse NY.

And yes, while doing some googling, I did come across Lingenfelter's page - and saw the prices!!! If I were to buy a 2004 z06 at roughly market value of 25000, and do the add ons there to get around 650hp, I think it was 40 or 50k.... I may as well buy the 2019 Z06 at that point which comes with 650 stock...

That is why I was seeing if anyone knew a shop like lingenfelters for example, that sold cars already with the work done - thereby 'getting the mods for free-ish'.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

There's a red supercharged FRC done by Lingenfelter here in Michigan in the for sale section. Just 6 hour drive through Canada.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-c5-frc.html
Old 10-17-2018, 11:31 AM
LordX
3rd Gear

That does look pretty nice. The receipts from Lingenfelter are nice too. However, with that many miles - it looks like I will have to refer to the C5 buying guide to look at allllllll those little things that seem to pop up with age/use.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by road pilot
Originally Posted by spdislife
Don't feel bad, I'm 61 and neither have I!

At 70, I still play with the cars, too!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LordX
I am in Syracuse NY.

And yes, while doing some googling, I did come across Lingenfelter's page - and saw the prices!!! If I were to buy a 2004 z06 at roughly market value of 25000, and do the add ons there to get around 650hp, I think it was 40 or 50k.... I may as well buy the 2019 Z06 at that point which comes with 650 stock...

That is why I was seeing if anyone knew a shop like lingenfelters for example, that sold cars already with the work done - thereby 'getting the mods for free-ish'.
There plenty of shops in CT/NY/MA/NJ that can handle "upgrading" a C5Z to be a monster - IMO I would probably buy a low mileage clean C5Z & then pick a speed shop send it out & have everything done @ once, and for what you're looking for.....an A&A Supercharger kit + intake + headers + C6 ZR1 clutch kit + install/tune along w/ some tackier tires would be the ticket.....maybe throw in additional cooling for tranny/diff and a beefier Rad from ECP/ROns/Dewitts
Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM
yetman
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Consider buying a lower mileage C5 in the color and transmission you want, having it checked out mechanically (if you don't do it yourself) to make sure no major issues are glaring at you. Then ... find a shop you like and get a quote for some upgrades. Kooks headers, x-pipe, a cat back of your choice, Vararam, Texas Speed cam, 4.10 gear swap, Dyno tune, etc ... is in the ball park of $6k depending on what you go with. My guess is you should see a HP bump of 60-70 HP or so, it will sound great, have a nice idle, and you will experience seat of the pants fun with the torque increase! IF that isn't enough, add a supercharger for another $7-8k or so depending on SC of your choice.

Buying one that is already 'done' is a crap shoot and pretty risky in my humble opinion. You don't know for sure how much its been beat, raced, cared for etc .... again, just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

YetMan
Old 10-17-2018, 07:25 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you decide to buy a stock C5 and then mod it, check out Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville PA. It's an incredible facility and even though their primary focus is road racing, I'm sure they would be able to get your car to whatever HP goal you have in mind. Good luck in your journey
Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by yetman
Consider buying a lower mileage C5 in the color and transmission you want, having it checked out mechanically (if you don't do it yourself) to make sure no major issues are glaring at you. Then ... find a shop you like and get a quote for some upgrades. Kooks headers, x-pipe, a cat back of your choice, Vararam, Texas Speed cam, 4.10 gear swap, Dyno tune, etc ... is in the ball park of $6k depending on what you go with. My guess is you should see a HP bump of 60-70 HP or so, it will sound great, have a nice idle, and you will experience seat of the pants fun with the torque increase! IF that isn't enough, add a supercharger for another $7-8k or so depending on SC of your choice.

Buying one that is already 'done' is a crap shoot and pretty risky in my humble opinion. You don't know for sure how much its been beat, raced, cared for etc .... again, just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

YetMan
Good advice IMO. But don't discount finding one already done by a reputable shop, with all the proper documentation, and which checks out during a thorough inspection.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

It is really tempting to buy one already modded, since the original owner will take a massive financial hit with all of the mods. Buying one stock or near stock and doing it yourself may be the best (since you know how and who modded), but is a lot more expensive.

However, if you buy one that has been modded, do your homework and make sure you take it to a highly qualified speed shop for a thorough evaluation. You mentioned one, Ligenfelter. There are others too like Vengeance Racing.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 10-18-2018 at 07:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Daniel@Vengeance (10-18-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 07:38 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Route99

At 70, I still play with the cars, too!
Yep, 70 and still love cars, retiring next year and will be on the hunt for a new toy and I'll have the time to play
Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you test driven any of these cars? That would be the first step. You're thinking way ahead of the game if you haven't.

What are your goals with the car? Cruiser, show car, drag strip, track?

Old 10-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Dark Sarcasm
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LordX
That does look pretty nice. The receipts from Lingenfelter are nice too. However, with that many miles - it looks like I will have to refer to the C5 buying guide to look at allllllll those little things that seem to pop up with age/use.
Any C5 regardless of miles will probably need some attention. Your weariness of older cars and mileage cars makes me think you'd be happier with a new C7. Warranty, lots of dealers around you, etc.

When you mod a car, any car, any shop, any parts you take on a certain level of risk. You mentioned 650hp earleir. If that's what you "want" from a C5 be prepared for a lifetime of maintenance, repairs, tweaking, it's just the nature of the beast.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 C5 Z06 - Buying one with mods - reputable dealer/shop?

Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Do not buy any C5 that has major engine mods or supercharger.....period. It does not matter who the shop was that built it. If you happen to be able to buy a car from a best buddy or relative that you've been able to spend time with the car over the last couple of years to make sure the car is stable, then maybe. Otherwise you're buying somebody else's money pit.....why would somebody spend $10k to $20k modifying a car and then sell it?

If the engine only had a CAI and headers, then ok.....but if they've cracked the engine open or it is force induction run away. These are not new cars that are still under warranty anymore.....who knows how many different people have worked on the car and how perfect each of them was. And if the car was "modified" to make an extra 100 plus horsepower, what do you think the owner did with it.....drive it to church with his grandma? No, he beat the crap out of it which means other components like clutches, transmissions, diffs and halfshafts may be on borrowed time.

Just pick any major "Corvette Shop" and google their name with the words "engine problems", "engine failure", "engine reliability", etc. Just because a shop has a big name and is known does not mean they do great work. Be careful. I think finding a cream puff you really like is the best starting place and then after driving it for a while you can decide if you need more power.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Do not buy any C5 that has major engine mods or supercharger.....period. It does not matter who the shop was that built it. If you happen to be able to buy a car from a best buddy or relative that you've been able to spend time with the car over the last couple of years to make sure the car is stable, then maybe. Otherwise you're buying somebody else's money pit.....why would somebody spend $10k to $20k modifying a car and then sell it?

If the engine only had a CAI and headers, then ok.....but if they've cracked the engine open or it is force induction run away. These are not new cars that are still under warranty anymore.....who knows how many different people have worked on the car and how perfect each of them was. And if the car was "modified" to make an extra 100 plus horsepower, what do you think the owner did with it.....drive it to church with his grandma? No, he beat the crap out of it which means other components like clutches, transmissions, diffs and halfshafts may be on borrowed time.

Just pick any major "Corvette Shop" and google their name with the words "engine problems", "engine failure", "engine reliability", etc. Just because a shop has a big name and is known does not mean they do great work. Be careful. I think finding a cream puff you really like is the best starting place and then after driving it for a while you can decide if you need more power.

Good luck with your search.
This is absolutely ridiculous advice. You are making a ton of assumptions. Personally, I've done every mod under the sun aside from forced induction to my car, including a larger motor, new transmission (that was replaced with an upgraded unit, not because I had to) and a stronger rear end with different gearing etc. The majority of these mods were done over 10 years and 30K trouble free miles ago and the ONLY thing that makes me think twice about taking it on long trips are ground clearance (it's lowered on coil overs and I have an aftermarket front splitter) and I'm not too keen on parking it in busy hotel parking lots overnight. Bumps in the road and that aside, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country right now. I might change the oil first because it is due soon, but that has nothing to do with reliability. I have almost $40K invested in my car NOT including purchase price and there's absolutely no chance of me recovering that if I should ever sell. If I did sell, someone would be getting a hell of a deal on a lot of high end quality parts that have been properly installed, well taken care of and maintained at pennies on the dollar. Many others have done the same on here and would be in the same position. Don't push your irrational fears on others just because you may have had a bad experience or read about someone who has on the internet. I guarantee a FAR greater percentage of people have had positive experiences with modifications, or they wouldn't be so popular.

Also, life happens and peoples situations change and they lose money on things. I had a perfect 99 Camaro SS that I absolutely loved back in 2002-2003. Heads, cam, built 6 speed, Ford 9", full BMR suspension, the works. It was my high school dream car. I loved that thing and had FAR more fun working on it and doing the mods than anything else. But then something happened... I found my C5 and bought it. I had both, and after a short while the only time I drove my Camaro was when it was in the way. So I sold it and someone got a screaming deal on a well built car. There was nothing wrong with it, it had no issues. I sold it because I no longer wanted it (and still kick myself 15+ years later).

Last edited by Mike94ZLT1; 10-21-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
This is absolutely ridiculous advice. You are making a ton of assumptions. Personally, I've done every mod under the sun aside from forced induction to my car, including a larger motor, new transmission (that was replaced with an upgraded unit, not because I had to) and a stronger rear end with different gearing etc. The majority of these mods were done over 10 years and 30K trouble free miles ago and the ONLY thing that makes me think twice about taking it on long trips are ground clearance (it's lowered on coil overs and I have an aftermarket front splitter) and I'm not too keen on parking it in busy hotel parking lots overnight. Bumps in the road and that aside, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country right now. I might change the oil first because it is due soon, but that has nothing to do with reliability. I have almost $40K invested in my car NOT including purchase price and there's absolutely no chance of me recovering that if I should ever sell. If I did sell, someone would be getting a hell of a deal on a lot of high end quality parts that have been properly installed, well taken care of and maintained at pennies on the dollar. Many others have done the same on here and would be in the same position. Don't push your irrational fears on others just because you may have had a bad experience or read about someone who has on the internet. I guarantee a FAR greater percentage of people have had positive experiences with modifications, or they wouldn't be so popular.
This.

There are people dumping unsorted basketcases out there. I think you'd be just a few questions into a conversation to identify those cars. My exhaust/heads/cam install was done professionally a few years ago without a single hick-up/code/stall since. I don't beat on my car either, and to assume everyone with a little extra hp does is ridiculous. A boosted car might make me a little nervous, but again, do your homework. I put a Kenne Bell supercharger on my V8 Grand Cherokee in the early 2000s and drove it daily for 75,000 miles/5 years with no issues. I sold it (to a friend) because the car was 7-8 years old and had 100,000+ miles on it, not because the car was giving me issues. These LS motors are stout foundations and if the work is done right can be reliable for a long time. And, oh yea, unmodified engines, transmissions, rearends, etc. also fail.

And OP, you mentioned is a previous post concerns of addressing the C5 issues because of higher miles. Many of the issues are not a mileage issues, they're prone to the car and/or resulting from the age of the car. Anticipate addressing them with a low, mid or higher mileage car.
The following users liked this post:
Mike94ZLT1 (10-21-2018)

Quick Reply: 2004 C5 Z06 - Buying one with mods - reputable dealer/shop?