C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:10 AM
maiettar1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Tire question

About two weeks ago I picked up a 17 Z06 with the sport cup 2 tires. Now I constantly see the hazard stories and or warnings about driving them when temperatures are below 60. My question is are these warnings just for guys who wanna drive hard while it’s cold? Or can these tires be driven in the cold if you drive normally without the worry of the tires just slipping out on a turn outa no where? Seeing how I live in New Jersey(more like Seattle this year with rain) it’s pretty cold here now, but I like to take the car to work from time to time unless this cold weather driving is just ill-advised.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Frankadoodle
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm also in NJ and bought my Z06 last November. I drove it through the winter on super sports - even a couple of short rides in the snow.
You definitely lose traction under 50 degrees, but it can be managed with a lighter foot. That being said, I got a set of Alpin PA4s for this winter.

With the cup 2s / super sports, it is certainly a noticeable decline in traction in the cold, but you will be totally fine taking the new car out for a spin

Last edited by Frankadoodle; 10-17-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The cup tires will crack so be advised don’t drive below 40 or 50. You need another set of tires at least and rims if you can swing it.
z51vett
Doug
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by maiettar1
About two weeks ago I picked up a 17 Z06 with the sport cup 2 tires. Now I constantly see the hazard stories and or warnings about driving them when temperatures are below 60. My question is are these warnings just for guys who wanna drive hard while it’s cold? Or can these tires be driven in the cold if you drive normally without the worry of the tires just slipping out on a turn outa no where? Seeing how I live in New Jersey(more like Seattle this year with rain) it’s pretty cold here now, but I like to take the car to work from time to time unless this cold weather driving is just ill-advised.
Michelin says not to store or operate the Cup2s in ambient temperatures lower than 20 or 21 degrees F. They can be safely driven in temps above that but traction will be reduced. If you drive like all of the people in their grocery getters do you will have no issues other than some slipping of the rear tires every now and then if you goose the throttle a smidge too much. The LT4 has gobs of low end torque (440 at 1000 rpm) and it doesn't take much throttle movement to shock the tires and break them loose. The idea is when you feel the tires starting to slip ease off the throttle. Same as you would do with any other car driving on a low grip surface.

Bill
Old 10-17-2018, 02:49 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I have 9k miles on mine and keep it in the garage. They stay warm enough to drive to work in the 35 degree range. They are slick if you get on it but are fine if you drive sensible.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Do NOT drive the Cup tires in cold weather. They are dangerous and I think Chevy/or the dealers should warn buyers about them.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Z06_Gabe
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I can second the Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires. I switched over last week from MPSS for the winter. In 45-50 degrees we had last week even the MPSS were getting way too loose. Its a Z06, good luck being disciplined and drive it with a light foot. I was out last night in 45degrees for some fun. The Alpin winters worked wonderfully, very predictable, great traction for what they are.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Frankadoodle
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Gabe
I can second the Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires. I switched over last week from MPSS for the winter. In 45-50 degrees we had last week even the MPSS were getting way too loose. Its a Z06, good luck being disciplined and drive it with a light foot. I was out last night in 45degrees for some fun. The Alpin winters worked wonderfully, very predictable, great traction for what they are.
Good to know! I'm excited to get them on. Car was tail happy in the 40 degree weather this morning
Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Bee1LE
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I lived north of Florida I would have something besides Cup 2's. Even in the winter here when the temps can be in the 30s in the mornings as long as you're judicious with the right foot the car behaves as you would expect it to. In the summer and Florida torrential downpours I take it easy an keep her at 50 MPH or less and it's all gravy.

I don't use the Cup 2's for the intended purpose of tracking the car but for me a fresh set of Cup 2's are the only thing that make 1st gear even somewhat useable on the street.

Last edited by Bee1LE; 10-18-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Dude your in NJ.....just drive like you do in the snow.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire question

Quick Reply: Tire question