C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Destroyed transmission/clutch/driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM
cmcad
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Destroyed transmission/clutch/driveshaft

Help please

I put it in 1st and had already taken my foot off the clutch and started rolling, everything's normal right. Then I step on the gas and "snap", I freak out, I dont know what happened. I stopped the car and tried driving again, I release the clutch very slowly until I start moving and I give gas and it just wont go, the clutch is slipping I think. I wait about 5 minutes, I try again, it is still slipping but I get the car moving, barely, I drove home( about a 1/4 mile) I only kept it in 1st gear and drove at 20 mph at 2500 rpm. The transmission was making a noise, like a crackling or popping sort of noise, it wasnt nice. Does anyone know what couldve happened? Burnt clutch? Something with the tranny? Snapped driveshaft? Help please, I wanna know how much the repair will cost me, im calling a truck later today and taking it to the shop. A burning smell did come for a few seconds, and then again after it snapped, once I give a bit of gas( like above 4000 rpm) a burning smell comes.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Not sure what the problem could be, sounds like either the clutch or tranny; doubt it was the axel due to you being able to 'baby' it home. Would have to say there is a very good chance that whatever the problem is, you made it worse by driving it further after realizing there was a problem. As far as cost for repairs, it will depend on what it is and how much damage was done. Hopefully it's something relatively minor with your clutch and not an issue with the tranny.

Last edited by Welker1; 10-17-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a throw out bearing, slave cylinder or clutch or a combination of all 3. If it is one of those you are looking a 700-900 in labor + parts.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

How many miles on it?
Can't recall a MN6 going bad w/ your symptoms, if it was tranny it wouldn't move a'tall.
A burning stink sounds like clutch, and since C6 has no 'drive shaft' it'd have to be the torque tube.

G/L, updated w/ issue.
Once it's known the board can better est repair $.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 PM
cmcad
Heel & Toe

Do you think it could be an issue with the engine?
I hope not
Old 10-17-2018, 06:40 PM
cmcad
Heel & Toe

It has 26K miles only
Old 10-17-2018, 07:24 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

I don’t think it’s anything with the engine. I’d bet money its the slave. Look up c6 corvette slaves melting. Then look up the billet support they make to replace the plastic part that is melted.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by cmcad
It has 26K miles only...
Low miles for a clutch failure. How've you driven it?
My gut says it isn't engine related, problem somewhere w/ driveline.
Car needs to be flat-bedded to a qualified wrench for diagnostics, this could be one or several issues.

If clutch, think around $2K.
Not unlike fuel pumps, a lot of labor's involved dropping/replacing rear for access to effect repairs, 8-10 hrs?
Labor rates often are dictated by location, more competition = less $, rural usually the opposite.
IF your profile showed where you live members may be able to advise how much to expect & more important *where* to take it.
Right now find out exactly what's up & report back, no one can reliably diagnose your issue on the Internet.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 PM
cmcad
Heel & Toe

I had it diagnosed, and it ended up being the left rear drive axle, I thought that it was transmission related due to the smell but that wasnt the case.
The axle is broken, would you know why? Its a 2008, I bought it about 2 months ago, im pretty sure the previous drivers didnt drive it a lot and just had it sitting in their garage. Could this be a possible cause to this issue?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:09 PM
cmcad
Heel & Toe

I think Ive been hearing noises from the suspension as well whenever I turn, I should probably get that checked right?
Old 10-18-2018, 03:39 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

Snapped drive shaft is usually caused by repeatedly dumping the clutch. Won't happen sitting in a garage.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:02 PM
_Wayne_
Pro

Shocking the drive line (dumping clutch, wheel hop, other spirited driving activities) is how you’d snap and axel shaft. What kind of sounds from the suspension?

Last edited by _Wayne_; 10-18-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Destroyed transmission/clutch/driveshaft

Quick Reply: Destroyed transmission/clutch/driveshaft